GodTV (365) moving to a HD sat (but still in SD)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
When scrolling through the guide there was one of those ads that said "Cant View GodTV...visit Directv.com/godtv"

So for fun I did ;)
They will be like Golden Eagles Broadcasting (363) and FreeSpeechTv (348) are. They will be on the HD sats but in SD

from D* site
Yes, DIRECTV will still offer GOD TV on Channel 365. However, starting January 26, 2011, GOD TV will only be available to customers who have DIRECTV HD equipment and are subscribed to HD Access ($10/month). But please note: GOD TV will remain a standard definition channel.

I know folks will say "never watch it" or whatever but just making note that its moving :)

It probably has to do with the "PI rule" which each satellite has to have a percentage of channels classified as "Public Interest" on them. They already have 2 on those (the 2 posted above)

and I wouldnt say its part of HD access. Yes you need it but they're kinda "throw in channels". It would be interesting to see someone call into D* and upgrade because "they need GodTV"....considering its on Free to air too ;)

smh at why they would put an SD channel in an HD Access package? Silly!

And not to mention they're doing the same (silly) thing w/FSTV & GEB. :rolleyes:

Yep, TOTALLY agree it's silly - but by the same token, NO more silly than E* adding Movieplex in SD ONLY to their HD (only) Platinum pkg.
Or to take it a step further, taking SD channels (Logo & Centric) & then upconverting to HD on THEIR (E*'s) end.

You need HD Access to get a HD box (most areas) the only people with MPEG 4 LIL get HD boxes with out HD Access.

What is next MPEG 4 SD?

NFL ST 2011 MPEG 4 only? (Will they give people NFT ST and SD free HD upgrades?) But for the people who still have NFL ST only free HD with no 2 year lock in and no need to buy any other package then NFL ST.

D* is out of SD MEPG 2 room and may need more for CSN Philly, SD 4, CSN NW, CSS, other missing RSN may need SD mepg 2 mirrors.

Directv was on the Brink of Dropping GOD TV all together.
But Believe it or not , a really High demand and a number of letters made them change their mind.

Now with that in mind, My guess is their contract Price was High and I got a feeling thats why they are making customers upgrade to HD if they really want it that bad.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)