Going for 2nd interview and need advice

maynardvanhalen

Original poster
May 3, 2013
georgia
I've been laid off from previous job for month and received my phone interview and appt for 2nd interview for this tues the 6th. In Savannah GA and extremely tech savvy (former GSM cellular network climber/installer). Been reading the "timeframes" from in person interview to actual training and thoroughly appreciate the build up of enough trainees to cover the expense required to get class size appropriate to train. My concern is the in person interview. I have not been in an interview in nearly a decade and sometimes anxiety/nerves get the best of me just wondering if you guys/girls could offer insight into what to expect. I know the general evaluation questions should be practical and relevant but, do the HR reps look for better yet ask about industry specifics that someone as myself should be prepared for. I'm at a lost on specifics so hopefully some of you could provide me with some pointers to be on the lookout for...heck a practice interview would be awesome. I'm hungry for info and look forward to becoming a member of the team. I don't just need this job I WANT IT!

Maybe it does, he dosen't say where he is applying to.\

I am assuming its a satellite install position, unless I am missing something.

Let's see the interview for dish goes something like can you point a dish. Then can you find 3 sats and peak it? Are you hard up enuff to work when the weather is anywhere from too damn hot to too damn cold? Are you willing to work for 70 to 80 hrs a week for low pay? Then you are approved if you say yes to all the desperate questions.

Thanks? It's hard out here for a ... widowed dad of 2 teenagers. I've wasted too many years with mom and pop businesses and now being laid off due to lack of work is killing me. Unemployment feeds us but employment will provide a life. I applied with Dish got the phone interview and I am actually excited about the possibility to at the least become employed with a national company. I have researched the executive problems on glassdoor.com concerning the company's higher ups but, nothing much else in the area of installer the usual "hate it to they're the greatest". Found satelliteguys and I have to say it's extremely informative. I appreciate the reply and look forward to becoming "hopefully" a member of the trade.

Good luck to you. Trust me, it's not a dream job. Not by far. But I won't bash it although there are a lot of negatives. There are positives to, such as a paycheck lol. Dish is a very micro managed company. I could go on and on. Best of luck though, it can be rewarding. But as someone else posted, be ready for long hours, working holidays etc...

I actually enjoy the job. Does it have downfalls.. Yes it does but last I checked so does every job. I enjoy the traveling and meeting new people. Just answer the question truthfully and have energy. Good luck

The employee experience at any company, including Dish, is going to be based on the local manager. If he works out of an office with a good manager, he will have a good experience. Perhaps Dish has more bad managers than good, but I doubt that every office is bad.

Maynard: They need friendly installers- you need a job......Just keep breathing in deep,(for oxygen), relax, think before you answer, and look him/her in the eye as you speak, be honest, and you'll do fine...........

Good luck on the interview.

First tip, always dress 1 level above the job you're interviewing for. I've menatlly dismissed people right away due to how they show up to an interview.

Remeber, them bringing you in for a face to face interview is a great thing, it means your resume has met all their criteria. Also, read up on the company, and explain in the interview how your prior experience translates into the job.

Best of luck.

First tip, always dress 1 level above the job you're interviewing for. I've menatlly dismissed people right away due to how they show up to an interview

Funny you say that - I interviewed for a Dish installer job in a suit and tie and the manager walked in and said "Well I can tell you already this is NOT the job for you son" He went on to explain all the things they go through and he was right and I shook his hand and walked away. I was glad he was honest with me upfront.

Funny you say that - I interviewed for a Dish installer job in a suit and tie and the manager walked in and said "Well I can tell you already this is NOT the job for you son" He went on to explain all the things they go through and he was right and I shook his hand and walked away. I was glad he was honest with me upfront.
That's why I said 1 level. For an installer, khakis and a polo shirt are probably fine, while as you pointed out a suit & tie is too much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts