Good FSS LNB for 121, 105?

Tekken

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Does anyone know a good brand FSS lnb they know can be used to retreive satellite 121 and 105 on a 30" dish? I have a theory and I can't rest untill I've tested it ;P

search on ebay for "ku lnb". Just make sure you get one that is linear. Theres a bunch, seems they go for around 12-20$. I dunno which ones are "better" than others.

Stargazer said:
You may not need to worry about that if your market is going to 129 by September 27th.

Stargazer,

Where does it show what markets are going to the 129 satellite? I want to see if my dish is going to be swaped out.

Thanks

equipment needed?

I read the linked thread on the movement to 129 of local markets and it appears my locals (Richmond, VA) are moving to 129. Glad to have this info as I was about to purchase a superdish in order to receive those locals. Was also going to try getting a 105 lnb (FSS I think, still learning about this) and using a dish 500 or 300 dish with it to "tune in" 105.

Anyway, if it's true that my locals will move to 129, what is the minimum equipment that I will need to "tune in" the 129 satellite and thus get my locals at last?

Current equipment is a dish 500 system with 110/119 lnb, a 61.5 lnb on a dish 300 dish, all hooked into a dp34 switch. I also have additional direct tv lnbs, several dishes of various sizes, and at least one more 110/119 lnb dish 500 set. I'm willing to rig just about anything so long as it works. Just refuse to lay out $250 for a superdish (especially if it's becoming obsolete).

Advice?

Thanks,
SWise

Welcome Swise :) Using your 61.5 dish to point to 105 is not an option as the dish needs to be 30 inches min. because the bird is fss and that means lower power coming from the sat and a bigger dish to colect that signal. If you want to point to 129 all you have to do is swing your 61.5 dish to 129 as it is a dbs bird. All it requires is a repoint and asking us for you zipcode so we can give you the correct values for you to point at for 129. If you want to completely get rid of a dish. and go with 110,119,129 there is allways dishstore.net as they have the new dish 1000's in and you can replace both dishes with one. they go for around a hundred bucks and are allready ready for your system.. all you have to do is run all three wires down to your 34 sw.... and you should be all set.

I haven't found one that works. Not DP anyways. If your theory is using smaller dish. It works fine. I've used a SD feed on a 24" D500 and it gets 121 fine. Just 5 points or so weaker. You will have to be in area that has plenty signal.

Thanks for all the info! I'll probably try using the 61.5 dish first to hit 129 and go from there. Ultimately I'll end up doing the d1000 just to clean things up a bit but I'd love to be able to use some of the excess equip I have. I looked in the setup screens on my receiver and don't see the option to change to d1000 or to select the 129 satellite. Is that coming in a software update on the 27th?
Also, my understanding of the 105 sat is that it requires a particular lnb (different frequency). Is this actually true or does it simply need a bigger dish?

Thanks,
SWise

Oh, I found this little app called SatFinder from arachnoid. I'd post the link but it won't let me yet.

It seems to list all the avail satellites and their azimuths etc. Very helpful so far.

Almost forgot. Have a Channel Master Multiswitch 4x4 model 6904IFD and a Dynex model DX-MS102 Multiswitch. Will either or both of these be useful if I do this setup again (with a separate system) or will I need to get another DP34?

You may want to do a check switch without the satellite wires connected then try tuning in 129. Once you tune in 129 do a check switch. All lnbf's and switch(es) must be either DishPro or legacy. If the receiver is legacy then the the lnbf's and switch(es) must be as well unless you have a Dish1000 or a Legacy Adaptor. A DishPro receiver will work with an all legacy or all DishPro configuration. You CANNOT mix and match.

I have read where some are able to hit 119 and 129 with a Dish500. You can hookup two Dish300's/DirecTv single lnbf dishes together one being at 119 and one being at 129 with a 21 switch. If you want 110 and want to use the Dish500 then you need a DP-34 switch if you have a DP configuration. If you have a Legacy configuration then you need a legacy switch that will work with 3 or more orbital locations such as the 64 switch for example.

Tried doing check switch with sat lines disconnected but my receiver still won't give me the option to attempt to point at 129. Only options I see are dish 300, dish 500, and super dish. None of those list 129 in the pointing options. This is a pretty new receiver (as of last year). Model dpplus 522 DishDVR. Any suggestions to be able to point at 129? Do I need to call Dish and have them enable the receiver for 129?

BrettTRay said:
inwo, How did you put a DP FSS superdish lnb on a dish500? The dish500's are only 20"

Yeah, sorry. 20" then. Brain fart. :eek:

Lnb actually fit pretty well. The tube is about the same size as type 1. It was just a matter of extending it to the right focal length. Had no plans on using it, just wanted to see if it would work.

Long term it may have been problematic, do to side lobes and beamwidth, but it did work.

swise said:
Tried doing check switch with sat lines disconnected but my receiver still won't give me the option to attempt to point at 129. Only options I see are dish 300, dish 500, and super dish. None of those list 129 in the pointing options. This is a pretty new receiver (as of last year). Model dpplus 522 DishDVR. Any suggestions to be able to point at 129? Do I need to call Dish and have them enable the receiver for 129?

The 522 won't let you know it's getting 129 from the dish point screen. It finds it as an xx on the check summary. But it works. I have one here with a SD121 and side/car lnb for 129, and DPP44.

inwo said:
The 522 won't let you know it's getting 129 from the dish point screen. It finds it as an xx on the check summary. But it works. I have one here with a SD121 and side/car lnb for 129, and DPP44.
Yeah - it's another software fart by E*. Fix is spooling, and you might already have it.