Good HDMI caputure card for PC?

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
Anybody have a suggestion on a good HDMI capture card for offloading Dish DVR items from the H3? I was considering the Hauppauge Colossus 2 but it says it can’t handle HDCP. I’m assuming Dish uses HDCP?

Reactions: littlecloud319
Unless you can decrypt the signal, HDMI is a non-starter. It is one reason why they went with HDMI.

Never had an H3 to try it, but I used both component and then an hdmi splitter that allowed for hdmi recordings with my old 722 to record stuff to computer in HD with Hauppauge HDPVR2. I haven't used it since leaving Dish mainly because I had a problem with the software after wiping and doing a clean install on my computer that I was using with it.

How close does Component output get to the picture quality of HDMI? Or I guess a better question would be, what is the top resolution of Component output?

My setup is as follows : StarTech .com USB 3.0 HD Video Capture Device-1080P , with a ViewHD 1x2 splitter (vhd-1x2MN3D), A Vip722 receiver. I can record anything live or off the hard drive.Both products available off of Am*zon. Also I am using HDMI out on receiver not component.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
My setup is as follows : StarTech .com USB 3.0 HD Video Capture Device-1080P , with a ViewHD 1x2 splitter (vhd-1x2MN3D), A Vip722 receiver. I can record anything live or off the hard drive.Both products available off of Am*zon. Also I am using HDMI out on receiver not component.

When you say you can record anything *live* does that mean it won't let you record items on your DVR?

I have been using a Hauppauge PVR1212 to capture component video and optical audio output from My Hopper, never seen a HDCP problem, everything I have tried has been seen and captured by my PC as a transport stream even movies recorded during free previews.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I have been using a Hauppauge PVR1212 to capture component video and optical audio output from My Hopper, never seen a HDCP problem, everything I have tried has been seen and captured by my PC as a transport stream even movies recorded during free previews.

Anyone know if Hopper3 can push video out of the component and HDMI at the same time?
Think hopper will but not sure about the H3. This goes for audio also will it work with optic cable while HDMI is also pushing audio.

The View HD is the splitter I have. Component looked great in 720p/1080i. I couldnt tell any different between component and hdmi recordings.
I also use the View HD VHD-1X2MN3D Splitter. The HDMI splitter output connects to a YK940 4K HDMI 1080P HD Video Capture Box. The HDMI output from that connects to my 4K TV. The USB output connects to a computer, which can be used to record/playback the HDMI signal using the software that was provided with the Capture Box. Since buying the Hopper 3, I have not used the Capture Box to record anything. If I want to copy any content, I transfer the H3 DVR content to an external drive plugged into the USB 3.0 jack on the back, then connect that external drive to a Linux PC and copy the content off, reconnect the external drive hack to the H3 and transfer the content back. That gives me archival copies of content that can be returned back to any replacement H3 or other Dish DVR if anything goes wrong with my original equipment.

I buy Blu-Ray discs or DVDs of anything that I want to add to my physical video collection. I just wait until the prices come down on those, rather than buying them when they first come out. I probably have hundreds of Blu-Ray discs and DVDs archived as ISO files. I put the original discs away in a video vault and use a burned copy to watch. This prevents damage to the originals. If a copy gets scratched or damaged, I just burn another one and destroy the damaged one. I have been asked by friends if they can borrow a disc from my video vault, and I decline. I will let them borrow my copy, but I make sure I get my copy back. I don't even watch the originals myself. I treated my videotape collection the same way, then transferred the originals to DVD when the DVD burners came out. I still have those original videotapes in climate controlled storage. I guess I'm OCD in many ways. LOL

I use a Hauppauge PVR Rocket to record component at 720p (prefer the progressive scan)