Good old DHP plan...am I covered?

RaidZero

Original poster
Oct 30, 2005
Greetings!

I am new to this forum and this seems like one of the few places I may be able to find my answers.

I have been a Dish Network customer since fall 2000. I had the DHP that was offered at the time and was tickled that I didn't have to purchase equipment. I understood at the time that in-home visits are at no charge and that all equipment on the account is covered.

Fast forward 5 years. I call Dish to purchase a 921 and specifically ask if it will be covered under my current plan. Take a guess...they tell me yes, that any equipment under my account is covered for the life of my account.

Being the paranoid person I am I call back today (5 months later) to confirm this and now it appears I have been "baited and switched". The CCR tells me that "only the original leased equipment you received from Dish is covered under the DHP".

My questions are: Who is right? What is right? and Have I been baited?
Is there any recourse that I will have if my 921 goes awry?

(If this is already covered somewhere in this forum I apologize.)

Hi welcome to the forum :) it sounds like your 921 is being rented... You can easly check your bill and see if it is.. if you have the DHP all of your recivers should be covered and any service calls are 29.99... Hope this helps..

Thank you for your reply...
The old DHP in-home plan (not the new DHPP) has no $29 fees. Home visits are free. These fees only apply to the new DHA.

My question pertains to the fact that I have 2 leased receivers and one purchased (921). Some people are telling me that everything is covered, other people are telling me that only my 2 leased receivers are covered. No one seems to have a definitive answer--not even Dish CCRs. I did receive one PM from someone who used to work for Dish who stated that they used to cover everything.

I'm going to mail Charlie and ask him.

Thanks again!

921's can't be rented. They are only available for purchase. So therefore they are not covered. Your service calls are covered under your plan, but if you have a problem with your 921 it is only covered for the warranty period as it applies to the receiver.

I am also on a DHP and when I signed up it was my understanding that ALL equipment was covered under the plan. EVEN your purchased equipment.

I would just call again and get another CSR because the person may just be confused. If you don't get a good answer just email CEO@dishnetwork.com

Well there version posted on there website says

3.What is Covered
The Plan covers repair or replacement of defects in materials or workmanship for DISH Network Direct Broadcast Satellite ("DBS") video hardware, remote controls, antennae, or switches that were i) purchased or leased by You, (ii) that are activated on your DISH Network programming account, and (iii) that are installed at your residential location (“Covered Product”). Your residence must be in an area where you can legally receive DBS transmissions from a DISH Network satellite. The Plan includes the following:

a. the cost of all labor and parts to repair or replace a defect in a Covered Product;
b. the cost of shipping for repair or replacement of a Covered Product;
c. priority technical service support by calling 1 (800) 333-DISH(3474), available 24 hours per day/7 days per week;
d. repair or replacement of power surge damage to your DISH Network video cabling;
e. in home service calls for a discounted price of $29 per call;
f. one free DISH Movers (if you relocate to an area where DISH Network programming is available, DISH Network will provide and install a new DISH 500 antenna and install your existing DISH Network receivers at no charge). Installation of a second DISH antenna required for international programming will be provided at a one time discounted fee in the amount of $50.

Defects include functional part failures within DISH Network hardware such as the receiver, antenna, remote control, and low noise block converter with integrated feed (“LNBF”). A Covered Product will be restored to normal condition as stated above only after it has failed during normal single-family household use. DISH Network, at its option, may require trouble-shooting of the product over the telephone or otherwise to verify any failure prior to repair or replacement. DISH Network, at its option, may replace your covered product with one of like kind and quality as determined by DISH Network. Parts used to repair defects may be new, remanufactured, or used, at DISH Network’s sole discretion.

So the next time you contact Dish reference
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/customercare/warranty/terms/index.shtml

I have been on many DHPP service calls where Dish made the customer pay to replace a owned receiver that was over a 1yr old. Which is what I was basing my comments off. I have never seen Subs with receivers under warranty or leased pay for a replacement when it went tits up.

Thanks again for your replies...

...I don't think this is the same thing. DHP (Digital Home Plan) was an earllier lease program that Dish does not offer anymore. It included an in-home service plan with NO $29 fee.

This is different than DHPP (protection plan)--which is a warranty program.

DHP is not at all mentioned anymore on Dish Network's website.

People today can be on DHA with DHPP. I have no such thing.

I am grandfathered into the old DHP plan for the life of the account. I pay 86.99 for AEP, and an additional 8.99 for locals. I believe w/ DHA the locals are "rolled in".

DHA is what replaced DHP...and since DHA isn't as warranty rich as DHP was, they offer those folks DHPP I assume for a monthly fee.

This appears to be the same confusion that the CCRs have. They start reading DHA and DHPP stuff to me and mention the "only $29" bit. I tell them to check further, they put me on hold and then return to say "Oh you are right---that's that OLD plan". That's when the "I'm not sure can you hold" stuff begins, and the journey through the nebula embarks.

I'm afraid that there's not enough people left around to remember DHP. :)

DHP was supposed to cover all of your equipment wether leased or owned. If you have a copy of the agreement read it. DISH has been trying to cut costs and improve profits so if it is not spelled out in your contract expect to pay DISH extra now for what was supposed to be free. The burden of proof will be on your sholders DISH is in it for PROFIT.

I too am grandfathered in the old DHP plan. I too have owned (811 & 6000) as well as leased equipment. I have had several service calls over the years and replaced my 6000 (owned) 4 times. All at no charge.

just called

I just called in again to verify the story. Now the CSR says that every bit of Dish equipment in my house is covered, leased or purchased.

He said I pay 81.99 for AEP (with a $5 "warranty" DHP fee= $86.99) and I also pay a separate $8.99 for locals, whereas DHA people pay $86.99 for AEP+locals.

Furthermore DHPP would be an extra cost on top of that for that warranty program ($1.99?). Since I pay $5/mo for the old DHP program I would never need DHPP as DHP has in-home and equipment replacement is free.

In further discussion he said the downside of DHP in the past was that the accounts didn't have the great upgrade promotions that non-DHP customers had. So what that meant was that we had to pay full retail price for additional receivers that weren't avaialable for lease (e.g. 6000, 721, 921).

While this makes me happy, it is a bit disturbing that the type of service I will get may just depend on the "luck of the draw" of a phone call. CSRs apparently are confusing DHP, DHA and DHPP. It's probably Dish's fault for not being careful with their acronyms :)

I'll wait for official word from my email to Dish...

--Dom

Resolution from Echostar!

I received this email:

Thank you for your email. I apologize for the delay on this response. All receivers (including the 921) on your DISH Network account are covered under your DHP Warranty. I apologize for the confusion this may have caused. If you have any questions please let me know.

Thank you,

Natalie Winters
Executive Resolution Team

So, good, yes, yay. DHP is a good thing!!!

While this makes me happy, it is a bit disturbing that the type of service I will get may just depend on the "luck of the draw" of a phone call. CSRs apparently are confusing DHP, DHA and DHPP. It's probably Dish's fault for not being careful with their acronyms.
It's not that (acronyms), it's just a lack of training (or ability to learn).

We call it CSR Roulette - just keep calling until you get the answer you want. Many times you'll get it, even if it's "wrong". :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)