Goodbye, Charlie. Hello, VOOM!

Geno

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 28, 2003
Goodbye, Charlie. Hello, VOOM!

After Charlie Chat, confirming poor HD support by Dish. I'm putting my money where my mouth is and going to VOOM to support HD. I'll suffer without a PVR for a while, but I'll have HD!

Adios, Charlie!

Geno

You think you'll have HD, as I've said in a couple other threads, there isn't much to watch on Voom when I look at the program guide. Perhaps you should look to see what your really getting before you run over the "other side"

normang said:
You think you'll have HD, as I've said in a couple other threads, there isn't much to watch on Voom when I look at the program guide. Perhaps you should look to see what your really getting before you run over the "other side"

Normang, It's looking better by the minute. The mainstream HD channels are being launched and if by 2/1/04 they are all in then the 21 exclusives will supplement and voila! you are looking at a very nice enticing HD service.

As I said in my review, I was not positive about but my opinion is changing as Voom adds more mainstream HD channels. So it's looking good and in the right direction; however, I cannot say the same about E* and HD. It's not looking good and in the wrong direction...

Normang, It's looking better by the minute. The mainstream HD channels are being launched and if by 2/1/04 they are all in then the 21 exclusives will supplement and voila! you are looking at a very nice enticing HD service.

You obviously have never looked at the program grid of what they are actually broadcasting. I reviewed it for several days out and outside of a couple movie channels with a couple interesting movies, there are slews of repeats and on many channels, un-interesting programming.. that to me does not make for enticing HD... sorry...

normang said:

You obviously have never looked at the program grid of what they are actually broadcasting. I reviewed it for several days out and outside of a couple movie channels with a couple interesting movies, there are slews of repeats and on many channels, un-interesting programming.. that to me does not make for enticing HD... sorry...

How this will look to you or anyone for that matter if Voom can get all these channels by 2/1/04. Will you sign up or will you still say that is not enough? Who else is going to provide you with this lineup of HD programmig by 2/1/04?

Mainstream HD Channels

241 Showtime HD East HD
242 Showtime HD West HD
251 TMC-HD
261 Starz HD East
262 Starz HD West
311 NFL HD
601 Discovery HD Theater
201 HBO HD East (Not yet available)
202 HBO HD West (Not yet available)
221 Cinemax HD East (Not yet available)
222 Cinemax HD West (Not yet available)
281 InHD (Not yet available)
282 InHD 2 (Not yet available)
301 ESPN HD (Not yet available)
321 NBA-TV HD (Not yet available)
501 Bravo HD+ (Not yet available)
701 Adult PPV HD (Not yet available)

High Definition (HD) Channels Exclusive to Voom

100 NewsBytes HD
101 HD Cinema10
102 HD Cinema10
103 HD Cinema10
104 HD Cinema10
105 HD Cinema10
106 HD Cinema10
107 HD Cinema10
108 HD Cinema10
109 HD Cinema10
110 HD Cinema10
121 Monsters HD
122 Epics HD
123 WorldSport HD
124 Rush HD
125 Rave HD
126 Ultra HD
127 Treasure HD
128 Gallery HD
129 MOOV HD
130 Animania HD
281 Boxing (PPV?)
999 Inside VOOM

You aren't any better off unless you have been consulting Miss Cleo and the psychic friends....

The Key to what you are saying is... 'Not Yet Available'

Of course, even if they NEVER do start broadcasting them, they were not wrong. They just aren't available 'YET'.

The E* 921 PVR isn't available to the masses... YET (But some lucky 200 will get theirs this week or next.)

I haven't won the lottery... YET

DB Cooper and Jimmy Hoffa haven't been located YET.

I deal with tangable things. If I can see it, or know that it will be there when I click on it, then I am content. Wishing and hoping are fine, but I wouldn't live life on what hasn't happened YET.

Voom sounds ok,I could live with the reruns and older movies,but
that rediculous up front money is a stopper.When I started with Dish
4 or five years ago the equipment was free to get me to sign up and
it worked.Voom needs to think about it 7hundred and some dollars
is crazy,I'll stick with DISH.

You can throw away every Voom "exclusive" and still have a very good value proposition. Sho HD East & West, Starz HD-East & West, TMC-HD, Disc-HD, and more added daily. For free programming and a $ back gaurantee it is hard to argue, but this is a Dish Forum & I still have Dish too. But I love my Voom because they are HD focused & try hard.

Mark_AR said:
You aren't any better off unless you have been consulting Miss Cleo and the psychic friends....

The Key to what you are saying is... 'Not Yet Available'

Of course, even if they NEVER do start broadcasting them, they were not wrong. They just aren't available 'YET'.

The E* 921 PVR isn't available to the masses... YET (But some lucky 200 will get theirs this week or next.)

I haven't won the lottery... YET

DB Cooper and Jimmy Hoffa haven't been located YET.

I deal with tangable things. If I can see it, or know that it will be there when I click on it, then I am content. Wishing and hoping are fine, but I wouldn't live life on what hasn't happened YET.

VOOM has added more HD mainstream channel in over a month and half than dish has in 2003. In 2003 dish added Hdnet & Hdnet movies + Espn-hd. Voom has added in 1.5 months Starz-HD (East & West), NFL-HD, TMC-HD, + free PPV Boxing + 21 exclusive channels + more coming...

E* has been talking about the 921 for about 3 years now (and still now out). What good is the 921 if I do not have HD channels that give me the movie I want or the programming I want. I was really looking forward to a 921, now I am not so sure I want invest $1000 on it because I will not have the diversity of HD programming that is currently available.

Oh brother. Those Voom channels are mostly a joke and many play one movie all day long. ANd they crop. Wow. What a choice.

If they had a PVR with Firewire right now AND caried HBO, well then maybe they would be worth somethin. And yes, HBO crops, but I like Sopranos, Carnivale and HBO boxing, thank you very much.

VOOM has added more HD mainstream channel in over a month and half than dish has in 2003. In 2003 dish added Hdnet & Hdnet movies + Espn-hd. Voom has added in 1.5 months Starz-HD (East & West), NFL-HD, TMC-HD, + free PPV Boxing + 21 exclusive channels + more coming...

I re-itterate.. If you consider what Voom is playing on their channels as "mainstream" HD.. you have not looked even once at what is on those channels.. And Starz and TMC are probably add on's that you pay more for. I find it hard to beleive that *any* PPV boxing match would be offered free when every other PPV Venue's charges up to $40 or more for one of those matches. You are merely spewing the Voom Marketing line and cannot be looking at what is really on the air..

normang said:

I re-itterate.. If you consider what Voom is playing on their channels as "mainstream" HD.. you have not looked even once at what is on those channels.. And Starz and TMC are probably add on's that you pay more for. I find it hard to beleive that *any* PPV boxing match would be offered free when every other PPV Venue's charges up to $40 or more for one of those matches. You are merely spewing the Voom Marketing line and cannot be looking at what is really on the air..

You need to get your information straight. Have you checked the VOOM forum here at Satelliteguys.us? Please get the facts first before you make statements like this. I will not go into each of the things you just mentioned but you are wrong about each one.

While Voom may not be the answer for me, I can certainly tell you that Dish is now out of the question. A little background... I am one of those new and growing HDTV purchasers. I am looking for decent HDTV content as well as the standard SD channels (including CNN AND FoxNews, btw). I was initially interested in Dish due to the self proclaimed "HDTV Leader" status, the statements of superior HDTV transmissions through Dish and the Planned 921 PVR. I was not initially interested in a PVR, but after careful consideration, I think PVR support is important to me.

That was then, and this is now. Most importantly, Dish is now an HDTV follower, putting up only the HDTV channels that will keep existing customers from bolting. The delays in the 921 means that the Dish PVR will be available on the market within weeks of other DBS and Cable PVR's. Reports are the DirectTV has improved the compression so that HDTV quality is now roughly equivalent, and reports of cable HDTV quality are on par with Dish.

At the very least, I will be considering other options and when those options have PVR products on the market, I will make one last evaluation of the Dish offerings, but I don't plan to follow the Dish news and info threads anymore. Bye Charlie.

You need to get your information straight. Have you checked the VOOM forum here at Satelliteguys.us? Please get the facts first before you make statements like this. I will not go into each of the things you just mentioned but you are wrong about each one.

Ok Sean, your right.. however it appears that many of these promo's are short-lived and you still have to come up with $800 for equipment, I don't see any deals on that.. So I don't see Voom as a viable alternative, nor am I impressed with any of the programming on their "exclusive" channels either. So to each there own.... have a good day..

I once had voom too.... i do agree that voom does have more hd... but 80 bucks a month wasnt worth what i was getting.. yea so what they showed a tyson fight for free.. who wants to see him anyhow... not I... tyson is over rated.. old.. and most of all this fight was just to get him out of debt... in my opinion.. tyson is a P*ssy... look at him getting knocked out in his last fight.. hes old news now on to voom... exclusives were not really worth it.. did like hd news and rave the most.. the movie channels i never watched cauz they never showed anything good... i did like starz hd.. and wished dish added it on.. just give it time and it will happen.. after all i havent heard anything about cbs or nbc hd being on voom.. soo... thats just what i think.. laterz..

I left Dish to go to Voom and then went back

The biggest problem I had with Voom is that after about two weeks all of their original content wasn't very original anymore. After two weeks you will have seen all of Voom's HD content. Then they just loop it mercilessly and endlessly. I loved their Concert channel until after the 2nd week when I had already seen all the concerts on it. The movies on their movie are not current movies. They are old movies that for most people will have little appeal. I like old movies and there were very few I wanted to see. I kept Voom for two months before I bailed and went back to Dish. Also, the only local feeds you get are OTA. So if you live far away from your "local" stations more than likely you won't receive them. And this last bit is nitpicky but I absolutely hated their menu and channel navigation. It made no sense whatsoever. It's was difficult to scan their on-screen listing to see what was on the other channels. I would go back to Voom if 1) they include all the standard SD channels, 2) they get more original content, 3) local channels received via the sattelite.
The best thing about trying Voom was that I did it while there was no up front cost and no long-term agreement required. So I was able to switch over and switch back for practically nothing.

dewhead said:
The biggest problem I had with Voom is that after about two weeks all of their original content wasn't very original anymore. After two weeks you will have seen all of Voom's HD content. Then they just loop it mercilessly and endlessly. I loved their Concert channel until after the 2nd week when I had already seen all the concerts on it. The movies on their movie are not current movies. They are old movies that for most people will have little appeal. I like old movies and there were very few I wanted to see. I kept Voom for two months before I bailed and went back to Dish. Also, the only local feeds you get are OTA. So if you live far away from your "local" stations more than likely you won't receive them. And this last bit is nitpicky but I absolutely hated their menu and channel navigation. It made no sense whatsoever. It's was difficult to scan their on-screen listing to see what was on the other channels. I would go back to Voom if 1) they include all the standard SD channels, 2) they get more original content, 3) local channels received via the sattelite.
The best thing about trying Voom was that I did it while there was no up front cost and no long-term agreement required. So I was able to switch over and switch back for practically nothing.

Please, NO!! This is a high def service! Please no more SD channels. Please no local channels through sattelite! As for orignal content, its getting much better! Of course some of the movies on the HD Movie channels are old, but have you seen the constant repeats of old movies on HBO, Showtime and Starz? I watched the original Time Machine in HD last night and it was great! Like watching a new movie with all the detail. Tonight on Cinima Four is a Three Stooges marathon in HD. Better than the Olympics! There is so much new content its hard to choose! I very rarely watch Dish anymore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)