Google announces WebP and WebM new image and video formats: more efficient compression

The issue is there is no software out there that supports those yet...

So if I changed over all our graphics to WebM here on SatelliteGuys the only people who could view them are those using Google Chrome.

Its going to take YEARS for other software to fully support these new things.

The issue is there is no software out there that supports those yet...

So if I changed over all our graphics to WebM here on SatelliteGuys the only people who could view them are those using Google Chrome.

Its going to take YEARS for other software to fully support these new things.

Well vBulletin (and other web software) could be changed to serve the extra compressed to compatible browsers and send the traditional to browsers that do not support it. I would not be surprised if youtube started to do this soon.

Seeing how data caps are getting higher, bandwidth speeds are increasing, most people forget that video is becoming if not already the largest bandwidth consumer and that better compression effeciency over time. This will dramatically improve networks and what we will be able to do over them. Imagine being able to do the same thing on a 768k-1.5mb connection in 10 years that we are able to do on a 3-5 mb connection today.

I can see youtube going to this and many people switching to chrome to use youtube. That would be genius to do so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)