Google introduces Chromecast, an HDMI streaming solution for televisions

The idea of hooking up many other boxes to my TV (PCs, AppleTV, Roku) just got really silly barring support from app makers, which isn't unreasonable to expect. Some of those devices could essentially be borderline obsolete in the next month or two.

The idea of hooking up many other boxes to my TV (PCs, AppleTV, Roku) just got really silly barring support from app makers, which isn't unreasonable to expect. Some of those devices could essentially be borderline obsolete in the next month or two.

True. At this point think this would be the way to go and the price of the device is not bad as well I think they said it goes on sale on the 28th of this month.

Did anybody with a Dish sub buy one of these to try it out? I'd be very interested to learn whether the Chrome browser accepts the Dish Anywhere plug-in. My Logitech Revue does not. :(

Got mine today, pretty cool sending YouTube clips to it. I don't have the updated Netflix app I guess to try that. Only had about 15 minutes to tinker. Wish it had an hdmi passthrough.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Tried to get one last night and again this afternoon, but every BestBuy in CLT area sold out before I could get one. Sold out online @ BestBuy and Amazon. For the moment, if you don't already have one in-hand or on the way, looks like you're out of luck unless you want to pay the jacked up prices on ebay.

Wish it had an hdmi passthrough.
It wouldn't be $35 if it did.

I think Google has hit a sweet spot with this device, assuming it's easy to set up (I'm not sure how you get it connected to a WiFi if the SSID is hidden, or enter the Passphrase for that matter.. The low price and relative ease in which this can be used to share your Chrome browser session, or YouTube video, or music with your friends and family via the HDTV should make this a "why the hell not" kind of purchase decision.

I also think this could kill the Roku stick since the ChromeCast can plug into any HDMI port while the Roku requires MHL, which not every set has. Even if your set doesn't have an available USB port, a simple USB wall-wart can supply power. Plus, you can buy two ChromeCast sticks for less than the Roku sticks.

Of course, both the Roku and the Apple TV are complete devices while the ChromeCast requires another device to "cast" content to it. Still, I think Google won't have any problems selling a ton of these.
Tried to get one last night and again this afternoon, but every BestBuy in CLT area sold out before I could get one. Sold out online @ BestBuy and Amazon. For the moment, if you don't already have one in-hand or on the way, looks like you're out of luck unless you want to pay the jacked up prices on ebay.
See? :D

It wouldn't be $35 if it did.

I think Google has hit a sweet spot with this device, assuming it's easy to set up (I'm not sure how you get it connected to a WiFi if the SSID is hidden, or enter the Passphrase for that matter.. The low price and relative ease in which this can be used to share your Chrome browser session, or YouTube video, or music with your friends and family via the HDTV should make this a "why the hell not" kind of purchase decision.

I also think this could kill the Roku stick since the ChromeCast can plug into any HDMI port while the Roku requires MHL, which not every set has. Even if your set doesn't have an available USB port, a simple USB wall-wart can supply power. Plus, you can buy two ChromeCast sticks for less than the Roku sticks.

Of course, both the Roku and the Apple TV are complete devices while the ChromeCast requires another device to "cast" content to it. Still, I think Google won't have any problems selling a ton of these.See? :D

It broadcasts it's own WIFI for the initial setup. You don't even have to manually connect to it, the app you download to configure it does it all for you. You don't even need other devices for the app-related casting, that's just for the tab casting from Chrome. You can use most any portable device to 'cast' things like YouTube to it, but then it goes and gets the content from the cloud itself, not your device. Chromecast then not only plays your content, but synchronizes things like the progress bar across all devices tuned into controlling it.

Okay, that makes sense. It seemed like a Catch-22 situation.

Someone suggested that one benefit that Google gets from everyone having a ChromeCast is they can track what everyone watches through their dongle. But I'm sure all the other STB makers do the same thing.

It will be interesting to see if Hulu and the other online streamers without partnership agreements with Google treat the ChromeCast like they did the GoogleTV. If the Client Agent in the HTTP request says "ChromeCast" and the media providers say "not for TV viewing" then that could diminish the value of this device.

All I could wish for is another HDMI input on my HDTVs!

All I could wish for is another HDMI input on my HDTVs!

If you really need/want more, that a look at the HDMI Switches @ Monoprice. I used one that came with a small remote for a while back when I had a TV that only had one HDMI input. Worked pretty well at the time, and they aren't very expensive.

I see that i-Fixit has the teardown of the ChromeCast now. Not much to see, which you'd expect for something that cost $35.

Heck, the accessories that Google includes in the box probably add another couple of bucks. I think I spent about $10 each for some Acoustic-Research flat HDMI cable extensions for my Samsung when I bought it four years ago. I wondered where I could find some more, and now I know!

Last edited:
Gotta give props to Google for the part numbers on the ChromeCast and its power supply. The ChromeCast is model "H2G2-42" and the P/S has part # "MSFT-3K".

OK, I give. What do those part numbers mean? I thought at first the p/s was like Mystery Science Theater 3000, but there's a spurious F in there...

OK, I give. What do those part numbers mean? I thought at first the p/s was like Mystery Science Theater 3000, but there's a spurious F in there...

In Douglas Adams’ book The Hitchhikers’ Guide to the Galaxy, a vast computer named Deep Thought spends several eons constructing an answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything. A full 7.5 million years later, it arrives at the answer: 42.

Google appears to be referencing that bit of geek cult humor in a new device, the H2G2-42, that it is currently submitting to the FCC for regulatory testing. H2G2 is a Wikipedia-ish guide to “life, the universe, and everything” inspired by Adams’ books.

Wow. Never heard of H2G2 before following your link. Thanks. But IMHO getting H2G2 out of "HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a stretch.

Sorry, I thought I responded to this earlier, but I guess I didn't send it. I accidentally added the "F".

Maybe someone who has one can take a picture and show us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)