Got a strange question here.

Culpy67

Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
Hi all, got what could be a strange question for you all. My Father in Law is on me to get ready for snow already. lol Well my question is this, I have heard of using pam on a dish to help keep snow off of it but what about wd-40? Would that work any better or could it damage the dish?

Hi all, got what could be a strange question for you all. My Father in Law is on me to get ready for snow already. lol Well my question is this, I have heard of using pam on a dish to help keep snow off of it but what about wd-40? Would that work any better or could it damage the dish?

technicly it would work with a fine coating... however wd40 as it breaks down actually gets sticky/tacky, so if you did it now itd be sticky by the time snow comes. a super soaker with hot water works best if its roof mounted.

I say use nothing. WA for most will not get much accumalted on it. EA will at times, but most always will come right off with a snow brush or supersoaker. Shadow EKU is correct.

I use thin plexiglass over the dish and a piece over the lnbs. About a foot wide and curved about half way around top of dish. This works fine, except when there is blowing snow, which is rare where I live.
Dan

I live in the Western NY lake effect snow belt and receive over 250" snow per year on average. I've used RainX and it works OK. I dont think I would put a petroleum based product like WD40 on the dish because it will gum up over time. One of the most popular solutions is a SuperSoaker with warm water to knock the snow off the dish and LNB arm. Works great especially if your dish is roof mounted.

As others have stated, please do not use Pam or WD-40 on the dish. The dish will become sticky and attract dust and other particles making it even easier for snow to stick to the dish. I have never put anything on any of my dishes (I have had Dish for over 15 years) and I very rarely lose signal. I have only had to scrape snow off the dish once in all those years, and we get a fair amount of snow here in Connecticut. If you feel as though you have to use something, you can try RainX, but it is probably not necessary.

You can buy a "dish heater" from any satellite retailers and websites.;)

I live in the Western NY lake effect snow belt and receive over 250" snow per year on average. I've used RainX and it works OK. I dont think I would put a petroleum based product like WD40 on the dish because it will gum up over time. One of the most popular solutions is a SuperSoaker with warm water to knock the snow off the dish and LNB arm. Works great especially if your dish is roof mounted.

You average 21 feet of snow every year? Where do you move it all to?

Yes, on average 21 feet of snow. We live dead center in the middle of prime lake effect snow country in Western NY off the shore of Lake Erie. Fortunately it is a relatively rural area so there is plenty of space to move it to. Front end loaders, snowplows and snow blowers are your best friend from October to April.

Yes, on average 21 feet of snow. We live dead center in the middle of prime lake effect snow country in Western NY off the shore of Lake Erie. Fortunately it is a relatively rural area so there is plenty of space to move it to. Front end loaders, snowplows and snow blowers are your best friend from October to April.

Well it's been 111 plus here for 5 straight days, so I wouldn't worry about snow now, but I sure wouldn't mind some. A super soaker really is the best option, unless you're in an area that gets enough snow to make a dish heater worthwhile.

I read in the news once that Buffalo, NY actually had to fill rail cars with snow and haul it off because they had so much fall all at once. I would not know first hand, since we rarely see snow here in Florida.

It's not the total amount of snow that can cause problems, but the type of snow. I'm also in WNY, east of Rochester, and the only time I have problems is when we get heavy wet snow. I might loose signal once or twice a year, if that. Most snow will not stick to the dish.

My EA dish is roof mounted (has to be for LOS) and I'd totally lose signal if we got a heavy WET snow. I bought 3 small Katz heaters from Amazon. These are actually made for engine blocks and are pads with an adhesive on them. Put one in the middle and one each on the bottom sides where the snow really collects--at the back of the dish of course. Works great! I just plug in the extension cord in the garage and problem is solved in minutes when needed and I leave the cord plugged in during a snow storm.
BTW, I 1st tried the garbage bag over the dish idea and it did NOT work for ME.

Ed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts