Got my replacement dishes (1000.4 easter arc & 118.7 Dish 500+) Do I need support legs?

naimbeg

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
I got my replacement dishes (1000.4 easter arc & 118.7 Dish 500+) to replace the the two Dish 500 (61.5, 110, & 119) up at the cabin.

The masts that came with the units are the long ones. Am I going to need the two small support legs to keep these things from swaying?

Also, any tips or links to threads on getting the 1000.4 aimed? Thanks.

If you don't use the struts, over time the dishes will begin to sag and you'll slowly begin to lose signal. You won't really notice it until it's too late.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I thought the latest manufactured 1000.4 was supposed to be light enough not to need the struts the older ones required, or are you folks saying the even the supposed "light enough" 1000.4 reflectors still need the struts due to real world observation and experience? Wouldn't be the first time Dish makes a mistake.

I have not noticed any difference in the weight of the latest dot4 dishes. The weight does not really matter anyway. What matters is the area the dish presents to the wind. Personally, I would not install a dot4 dish without the struts irrespective of the length of the arm. I have seen to many work loose ever after only a year, that I would not take a chance. So many of the newer houses seem to be roofed with 1/2" wafer board, that even with the center two lags secure in the rafter, the dish still wiggles with light hand pressure because the roofing material is so flimsy and flexes on both sides.

I've noticed that the newer Winegard supplied mounting pole is the same one supplied with the original Dish300 and the Dish500's, when Winegard replaced KTI (later acquired by CalAmp, which went defunct due to the DishPro CSS9601 twin fiasco). The newer pole, however is a heavier gauge metal and significantly stronger.

My preferred mounting locatin has always been the corner of the roof right over the corner of the house. This is likely the strongest place on the structure of the house. At this location, the rafter is quite easy to locate, so you are assured that the axis screws of the mounting foot will go into the wood. Even with 1/2 OSB on the rood deck calculating 1 to 1-/2 inch to the outboard screws of the mounting foot, the torsional lever arm is extremely short and sideward tilt under heavy load would not be significant.

I installed dbs systems for over 10 years. To prevent downward swing of the pole, which is the most significant and least resistance as to the degree of free movement, I regularly drive a #14 1/4x20 self drilling and self tapping screw on one side of the mounting foot between the two retaining bolts. In his way, the pole will NOT swing and will NOT depend only on friction to remain its setting. It will be virtually locked in place on the mounting foot. This screw is also an ideal fastener for a UL listed mounting lug.

I thought the latest manufactured 1000.4 was supposed to be light enough not to need the struts the older ones required, or are you folks saying the even the supposed "light enough" 1000.4 reflectors still need the struts due to real world observation and experience? Wouldn't be the first time Dish makes a mistake.

"latest manufactured 1000.4"???? Ive been installing these since day 1 and never noticed a difference in weight.

You might be thinking of the mast. The new "W4" mast, which is a short mast, is ok without struts. I say vaguely new because its been out for some 8+ months now.

I would never put a 500+ dish on a short w4 mast unless its on a temporary non-pen mount. Those ALWAYS get struts.

As dishnet_tech stated, any long mast should have struts with it. I agree with him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts