Got them ol' 622 HDMI bad output blues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dendavis

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 10, 2003
Metro Denver
Have had my 622 for about six weeks, no problems except the disappearing timers thing with OTA HD channels, and some minor pixelation/audio sync issues. But last night, when I turned on the box and the television, no picture on the HDMI-controlled television input (Sony KW5700). I called DISH, and luckily got a great technical support guy. He had me unplug the 622 and the HDMI, and then reinstall. No joy. After some other tries, he said this is a relatively common issue with Sony and Sharp televisions, and appears to be a compatibility thing they hope to solve with the next software (L3.58) download.

I know this has been reported previously in this forum, but thought I would pass along some of the things he mentioned:

1. the L3.58 download is being done 25% of the receivers at a time. There is no protocol as to who gets the download, i.e., newest boxes, oldest; they choose a range of consecutive numbers, and they are the ones that get it. He indicated I should get mine "in the next few days;"

2. the incompatibility is pretty much affecting Sony and Sharp televisions;

3. it might be the HDMI cable, but most likely not;

4. after the L3.59 download, if it still is inoperative, they will change out the box for me. This is the least desirable outcome for me, as I have a LOT of programs recorded, several of which I really want to keep in HD format. I do have other input modes on the Sony which give me HD picture with component cables, and I like the quality of those. So while I don't like the thought of having a product with a defective output port, I think I might prefer to keep the one I have. Guess I need to hope L.358 does the trick.

I also asked about their progress in addressing the "disappearing timers" problem with OTA, he said they are still working on a software solution, but did not think it would be in L3.58.

Cheers:)

I was helping my friend hook up his 622 via HDMI, and it would not work with his 32" Vizio LCD. This really sucked since I had ordered him a 35 foot HDMI cable for a long run, and we obviously didn't have RGB cables laying around to get the HD working. We did move the box to the room and hooked up the included RGB's, and could see the setup/acquiring sat message just fine, so we know the RGB outputs work. Tech support said wait for a new software download, which did not have an ETA. As of now my friend doesn't have HD pending a software fix for the 622...

If anyone knows when they'll issue a fix for HDMI compatiability with the Vizio 32" LCD, please post!!!

It's a hardware problem with the 622. Don't bother replacing them until a new version is released.

If you've been reading these 622-HDMI threads you'll recall that I have been very vocal with this situation (read my blog). The only difference is that mine was DOA. The story I got was pretty much the same as yours up through L3.56/L3.57. 3.57 did not correct the problem. I also think it's a hardware problem, and it might be heat related. That decoder chip that probably also has a lot to do with HDMI runs VERY hot (I measured 160F on the chip - too hot for reliability).

What version is your unit? Mine was a "D". replaced with an "E" that so far works well (KOW!)...

HDMI Woes

My DVR622 "D" vintage receiver was just delivered on 6-22-06 and, like many others have experienced, the HDMI port was DOA. I am connecting it to HDMI input on a new Sony 60" XBR HDTV. After much diagnosis on my own and trouble-shooting with DISH technicians, we have all concluded that it is a hardware failure in the box itself. Fortunately for me, no one yet has attributed the problem to "incompatibility" or "software." It's pretty clear to me that the HDMI port or circuitry or connection is defective on many of these units. The HDMI cable wiggles a lot in the DVR box connection; whereas, it is tight on my Sony TV and Sony HD DVD player.

A tech has been dispatched to replace the DVR 622 box tomorrow morning (Sunday!). I have requested an "E" unit, but DISH cannot guarantee the vintage. I guess it will depend on what the tech grabs as he loads his truck. I also requested that the tech bring out component video cables just in case the new unit is similarly defective. If so, at least I'll have HD signal until I can get an "E" unit sent out.

I wish I had known about this forum BEFORE I upgraded. Thanks to the many posts here about the 622's HDMI problem, I feel tons more confident in dealing with DISH customer service, which, BTW, has/have been VERY accommodating, professional, and courteous.

Ken Bour

You mention 3.58 ask the fix then once you say 3.59 as the fix. Which is it.
According to the tech I talked to, 3.58 is a digital camera only fix and not hdmi. Which tech do you believe.
I have a Philips tv and have no hdmi problems and have a B version 622 that has been in operation since middle march. Only problem is occasional voice sync issues which a hard reset usually fixes.
Is it possible that with Philips desigining the hdmi system the set is perfectly designed for it or am I just lucky.
Also my 622 is on top of a cabinet out in the open, does it run cooler?
Low temp 109 and high 127 since it has been on.

Just checked my 622 and as of 2.39 pm cst I have 3.59 and first off I notice no voice sync problems with my locals. Usually I have to change channels at least twice to fix this. Now it is correct right away and all is working fine at this point.
Anyone know what issues 3.59 is for?

dude2 said:
You mention 3.58 ask the fix then once you say 3.59 as the fix. Which is it.
According to the tech I talked to, 3.58 is a digital camera only fix and not hdmi. Which tech do you believe.
I have a Philips tv and have no hdmi problems and have a B version 622 that has been in operation since middle march. Only problem is occasional voice sync issues which a hard reset usually fixes.
Is it possible that with Philips desigining the hdmi system the set is perfectly designed for it or am I just lucky.
Also my 622 is on top of a cabinet out in the open, does it run cooler?
Low temp 109 and high 127 since it has been on.

Sorry for the sloppy description. The tech said the (then) upcoming L3.58 hopefully would fix it, but, if it didn't, then the L3.59 should fix it. But based on what is happening per the forums, does not seem to have been either:(

HDMI and the 622

dendavis said:
Have had my 622 for about six weeks, no problems except the disappearing timers thing with OTA HD channels, and some minor pixelation/audio sync issues. But last night, when I turned on the box and the television, no picture on the HDMI-controlled television input (Sony KW5700). I called DISH, and luckily got a great technical support guy. He had me unplug the 622 and the HDMI, and then reinstall.
)

Interesting ......one fine day after working earlier in the same day, my HDMI output stopped giving an image. I rebooted the box a couple of times but it still did not work. So I took it out and went with component output from the 622. Is rebooting what you mean by re-installing HDMI or is there something else you need to do? Maybe I will try it again. Thanks
Wayne

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts