Status
Please reply by conversation.
rockymtnhigh

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
The Grand Junction CBS affiliate, KREX, has burned to the ground.

See: Welcome to GJSentinel!

It took out the CBS and FOX affiliate for most of Western Colorado. No Foosball for anyone OTA.

KE4EST

KE4EST

SatelliteGuys Is My Second Home
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
EM75xb
Wow that sucks.

rockymtnhigh

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
I am just glad that I have Den affiliates... The fire was reported at 8:30am and was still smouldering at 5:30pm. Uncertain if they saved any equipment.

To be honest, KREX was always my least favorite local, but it is sad. Its the oldest channel in Western Colorado.

rockymtnhigh

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Terrible news for those not on Satellite...

Yes, but I suspect Bresnan (the local cable co.) will swap out the Denver channels for its subs).

Not sure what Dish is doing for its GJ-local subs.

rockymtnhigh

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Maybe they can set it up so the local folks can get Denver OTA till back up...

It would only make sense. I'll check with some folks I know who have GJ LiLs, to see what they do, or what they did.

Frank Jr.

Frank Jr.

Beati pacifici 5:9
Supporting Founder
Apr 8, 2004
Columbia S.C.
Not good for anyone in that area to include the people that work there. I am always puzzled how an occupied business building could get that bad. They can and all to often do.

Bob Haller

Bob Haller

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 11, 2003
pittsburgh pa
Not good for anyone in that area to include the people that work there. I am always puzzled how an occupied business building could get that bad. They can and all to often do.

A old friend used to be a contract transmitter technician, and told some hair raising stories.

with transmitters high power things can go bad fast, he was nearly killed by a fireball that went right thru a transmitter case.

he had been called because output was a little off, walked past the transmitter, smelled burning and with 5 seconds boom expolsion

rockymtnhigh

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
My Dept Secretary is a Local Dish sub; they have no CBS or FOX as of this morning. So I told her to email ceo@echostar.

She got this response:

I apologize for any inconvenience caused by these channels being off the air due to fire. By law, DISH Network is unable to provide any customer out-of-market local stations for any reason. Due to the fire, we are working to see if there is any way we can provide our customers in the Grand Junction market with CBS and FOX feeds as an exception. A resolution hasn’t been found yet, but we are actively working on one.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or concerns regarding this issue.

Thank you,

name deleted...
Executive Communications

I find it amazing that Bresnan Cable was able to almost immediately start a CBS and FOX feed; but Dish Network cannot. Thus for Dish customers in Grand Junction, there was no football yesterday. :(

charper1

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
I'm Nationwide
Sad, but yet another example of special & separate rules afforded to cable companies vs SAT companies; these thing MUST STOP damn its 2008!

dfergie

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Could be related to the distants debacle last year, but probably not... ;) however... innocent people do not have programming for what a 1/4 of Colorado? I know NM has the Extreme SW part in our DMA...(see the translators listed for Durango all the time)

Van

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
Maybe Charlie should take the padlock off his wallet and start greasing a few palms in DC to get some changes made, lord knows he has enough money to do it.

Derwin0

Derwin0

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 16, 2004
Peachtree City, GA
I find it amazing that Bresnan Cable was able to almost immediately start a CBS and FOX feed; but Dish Network cannot. Thus for Dish customers in Grand Junction, there was no football yesterday. :(
What did Directv do? Or do that not bother with that market?

rockymtnhigh

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
DirecTV does not carry GJ locals.

Front page story today about Dish not carrying CBS/FOX locals yet..

See DISH still dark

Status
Please reply by conversation.