Grand Rapids Michigan Locals-HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Bulbman2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 18, 2005
I just had dish 211s (2) installed. I was using a uhf antenna to get hd locals with great success. When I run the antenna thru the 211 the picture quality is not as good as when run direct to the hd tv s with built in ota tuners. Does anyone have a schedule when dish will have locals for grand rapids michigan?

JOhn

I did some searching around and I cant seem to come up with an answer to the OP's question..

I too am curious about Grand Rapids, MI HD LIL via Dish..

I live up in ho dunk Northern Michigan (Traverse City) where we dont get jack for HD locals..When Grand Rapids goes live on DISH Ill be doing a service address change to GR :)

Im hoping when they do go live they go anywhere but to that 119k satt..

Anyone with any info? Tx

guffy1 said:
I did some searching around and I cant seem to come up with an answer to the OP's question..

I too am curious about Grand Rapids, MI HD LIL via Dish..

I live up in ho dunk Northern Michigan (Traverse City) where we dont get jack for HD locals..When Grand Rapids goes live on DISH Ill be doing a service address change to GR :)

Im hoping when they do go live they go anywhere but to that 119k satt..

Anyone with any info? Tx

Do a service change to Detroit and get them now :)

Claude Greiner said:
Do a service change to Detroit and get them now :)

I would love to, but I am holding out hope that when GR goes live it will be somewhere besides on that 119k satt..

I really dont want to have to pay for the DISH 1000+ and its installation if I can somehow avoid it...And the Detroit locals are on that satt unfortunately...

Please clue me in if Im mistaken, but I would need that DISH 1000+ to get those Detroit HD locals, correct?

Also, any info at all on those GR HD Lil's Claude? Thanks :)

There's only 3 more markets being added in 2006

Indy, Raleigh, and a mystery market (most likely pittsburgh)

Grand Rapids has yet to be even planned by dish so it will probably be a while

On the contrary, neither E* nor D* has an HD LIL product - because there ain't no such animal. The DT signals carry some HD content but any reference to "HD Locals" shows another gullible sub taken in by slick marketing.

tjwgrr said:
Wow, D* is sure aggressive with HD LIL's... Grand Rapids showing HD in August. 13 new HD LIL's by end of October. Hurry up E*!!!

http://directv.com/DTVAPP/packProg/channelChart2.jsp?assetId=1100086

tjwgrr said:
That list means nothing.... Sure, Dish was much more aggressive for the top "X" markets when it came to get contracts, but that's just it, this is all done on a contractual basis. Just because NYC is # 1 on that list didn't mean they'd automatically have locals. What if E* couldn't reach an agreement with the local stations ??

Now that the initial launch of HD LiLs is done, it's up to the contract-writing people to reach agreements with the various local stations. I'm sure that Dish isn't "stuck" at some number on that list. If they don't make progress with one, they put it on the side and move on to the next market.

hall said:
ThomasRz: People know what it's referring to. Why are you on the soapbox about this ?? It's not a big deal....

No they don't. Even a casual reading of posts on the subject will show that people are confused. I won't even start talking about the millions who don't have enough interest in satellite tv to show up at a place like this. Even for those who do know the difference (or think they do) it should be important to be correct. Sloppy language leads to sloppy thought. That's why it's a big deal. E* ought to be ashamed for using people's ignorance as a marketing tool. But then Dish doesn't have the best record for forthright behavior. Please explain why it isn't an important issue. I assume that you are not a shill for Echostar or DirecTV so the answer must lie elsewhere.

No, most LIL is done by statutory licensing not private contracts.

hall said:
That list means nothing.... Sure, Dish was much more aggressive for the top "X" markets when it came to get contracts, but that's just it, this is all done on a contractual basis. Just because NYC is # 1 on that list didn't mean they'd automatically have locals. What if E* couldn't reach an agreement with the local stations ??

Now that the initial launch of HD LiLs is done, it's up to the contract-writing people to reach agreements with the various local stations. I'm sure that Dish isn't "stuck" at some number on that list. If they don't make progress with one, they put it on the side and move on to the next market.

ThomasRz said:
No they don't. Even a casual reading of posts on the subject will show that people are confused. I won't even start talking about the millions who don't have enough interest in satellite tv to show up at a place like this. Even for those who do know the difference (or think they do) it should be important to be correct. Sloppy language leads to sloppy thought. That's why it's a big deal. E* ought to be ashamed for using people's ignorance as a marketing tool. But then Dish doesn't have the best record for forthright behavior. Please explain why it isn't an important issue. I assume that you are not a shill for Echostar or DirecTV so the answer must lie elsewhere.

DirecTV says the same thing. HD locals. So what's your point? Its easier to say that then say "you get digital locals with some HD content sprinkled in depending on your local channel" :)

ThomasRz said:
No, most LIL is done by statutory licensing not private contracts.
Please clarify that. Dish or DirecTV can't just uplink a city's local TV stations, they have to come to an agreement to carry them and possibly pay $$$ to carry them. Clearly the digital feeds of these same stations aren't included in the existing carraige agreements.

I'll let Greg Bimson respond. He has a way of making this understandable.

hall said:
Please clarify that. Dish or DirecTV can't just uplink a city's local TV stations, they have to come to an agreement to carry them and possibly pay $$$ to carry them. Clearly the digital feeds of these same stations aren't included in the existing carraige agreements.

DirecTV is equally guilty. Two wrongs don't make a right, etc, etc. My point has been clearly explained. "It's easier" - is that really the foundation you want to rest your position on? I'm all for easier. But calling an elephant a cat because it is easier (less than 40% of the letters, 1/3 of the syllables) doesn't make it so and is misleading. The average person hears "HD locals" and understands that to mean that the programming is high definition. This may sound silly to an expert such as yourself but you only need to read a sample of articles on the subject to know that confusion reigns. I would think you would want to improve the public understanding of this topic not reinforce bad information.

Iceberg said:
DirecTV says the same thing. HD locals. So what's your point? Its easier to say that then say "you get digital locals with some HD content sprinkled in depending on your local channel" :)

What is Dish or DirecTV to say ?? They're already sending us everything in digital format, albeit some of is analog-to-digital converted. Do they advertise that "locals are now available in digital-digital (1)" ?? And the fine print explains that "your locals were never really true digital and we mislead you".

hall said:
What is Dish or DirecTV to say ?? They're already sending us everything in digital format, albeit some of is analog-to-digital converted. Do they advertise that "locals are now available in digital-digital (1)" ?? And the fine print explains that "your locals were never really true digital and we mislead you".

Hah, I like that... I can see the marketing blurb now:

"Detroit!!! Your Digital Digitals are now uplinked!"

ThomasRz said:
DirecTV is equally guilty. Two wrongs don't make a right, etc, etc. My point has been clearly explained. "It's easier" - is that really the foundation you want to rest your position on? I'm all for easier. But calling an elephant a cat because it is easier (less than 40% of the letters, 1/3 of the syllables) doesn't make it so and is misleading. The average person hears "HD locals" and understands that to mean that the programming is high definition. This may sound silly to an expert such as yourself but you only need to read a sample of articles on the subject to know that confusion reigns. I would think you would want to improve the public understanding of this topic not reinforce bad information.

Does it really matter? Honestly.

I have an antenna up and I can get HD channels on my Dish 811. The TV stations say “HD” all the time yet a lot of the programs aren’t..

My local Fox station says “HD” all the time yet they are only in HD when they have network programming. I have a “HD” channel and a “SD” channel for Fox and most of the time they are the same picture. My local ABC is rarely in HD (again, during prime time they may be) because they are locally owned.

So going on this little rampage of every thread where someone mentions “HD locals” and you go on about “they’re not HD all the time. They’re digital locals” is getting really old really quick. Most people who invest in a HDTV understand that not everything is in HD. Even my dad, who bought a HDTV and has no clue how it works understands that CSI is in HD but the local news isn’t.

I think I need to go start a thread about calling kleenex by their proper term, tissues... Thats about the gist of the points being made here... :rolleyes:

Hey Scott (or Iceberg since you are viewing), can you change the name of this forum to "Dish HD & DTV Discussions" while we're at it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)