Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill R

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Scott,

This is really starting to bug me. Do you HAVE to put "another SatelliteGuys.US first" on just about everything?

So what if you are first. PLEASE, just post the information and do away with the over hyping.

Thanks.

Scott,

I was thinking of similar thoughts.......there is a lot of constant "remember you saw it first at satellite guys"

Just something to consider when you post.

Thanks for your great start you a great site!

Jeff

The reason I do it is because people seem to cut and paste my post to other forums. (Most of the time without even reading the entire thing and noticing the "you saw it first" part)

And it's not even the other DBS sites that do it.

My figuring if someone cuts and pastes my messages and they include my little "ad" its good for me.

I would rather people link to my post here instead of copying to their sites.

I know its annoying but I amn trying to make a name for the board with me actually spaming any other boards myself. :)

Soon SatelliteGuys.US will be a household word, just like Coca-Cola. (Ok, ok I am just kidding) :D

People steal images. Look at http://images.google.com/ and tell me that people won't take the work Scott has done and post it as their own.

James,

I agree. I have had pictures "lifted" from my web site many times and one of them was published in a gardening magazine as the person's own picture from his garden.

I really wasn't talking about the pictures. The "SatelliteGuy.US" in the picture doesn't bother me at all. I was talking about the "you saw it here first" line or the "another SatelliteGuys.US first" or "SatelliteGuys.US exclusive" on just about every subject that Scott posts. With all the hype the site is starting to look like a used car lot. I love all the good information that SatelliteGuy.US provides; I just hate the hype (that must be from working so many years with marketing people).

It doesn't matter what Scott puts on his posts, it isn't going to stop people from copying the information. Sadly, that is just how dishonest some people are.

Shoot, I was going to put it in my sig, but maybe I won't now. ;)

"another SatelliteGuys.US first"

I agree with Scott on doing this because he has broken news, pics, and reviews that other sites don't have and it's good for promotional value. I think it is even more important for Scott to do so because this is a new site.

Bill R may have been here since the beginning but there are many other people who are new everyday and they need to know that this site gave them the info first and that's the bottom line.

And don't you dare put a damper on Scott's enthusiasm which makes this site exciting and fun.

I also agree with Scott doing this, because it is like a watermark he puts on his pictures in which advertises this site to get more people to join and post here to get it even more productive.

"another SatelliteGuys.US first"

I agree with Scott on doing this because he has broken news, pics, and reviews that other sites don't have and it's good for promotional value. I think it is even more important for Scott to do so because this is a new site.
I agree 100% with this last statement.

For an older or established site, I think these messages would be unprofessional, but the fact that Satellite Guys is still so new warrants these messages -- especially for the truly exclusive news that Scott has worked hard to obtain himself, and isn't readily available on other sites. I would hope to see less and less of these disclaimers in the weeks and months ahead as more people learn about the site.

Ken_F said:
For an older or established site, I think these messages would be unprofessional, but the fact that Satellite Guys is still so new warrants these messages -- especially for the truly exclusive news that Scott has worked hard to obtain himself, and isn't readily available on other sites. I would hope to see less and less of these disclaimers in the weeks and months ahead as more people learn about the site.

That's my thoughts exactly. But Scott needs to do this for awhile yet.
Although this is probably the fastest growing site on the net ever, and seems like a veteran site to those who have been here for three weeks,
stay patient for awhile because this site is still brand new to many.

I think there is a way to prevent copying and pasting of content on webpages if one wanted to go that far (perhaps to at least certain news posts).

The easiest way to make copy/paste of news breaks difficult and twist the arm in making the user link to the site is to type up the news story and save it as a graphic. Then post the graphic in the site. Now the choice is to do a lift of the graphic and reload it to another web site, go to all the trouble with that, or transpose the graphic to text. Neither is as easy as copy and past so the user would probably just do the link as Scott wants.

It is virtually impossible to protect all published content from lifts, modification and republishing. If you can display it, you can copy it!

Things I wish I had said - sooner:

- Yes, dear, your hair did look nice tonight.
- No, I don't want my windshild smeared by a homeless dude with a spray bottle of God only knows what.
- Duck!
- Here's a Motrin for your headache.
- You ARE on the pill, aren't you?
- You can take this job and shove it!

...and finally, in response to Bill R's earlier criticism...

"This is really starting to bug me. Do you HAVE to put "another SatelliteGuys.US first" on just about everything?"

...and the whole point of this post

- Just like a newborn baby, when you're new, EVERYTHING f'n thing you do IS a first! :D

Whew!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)