Gripe: Spell Checker

Status
Please reply by conversation.
B

Bill R

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
The spell checker that this board's software uses is very poor. It often doesn't find misspelled words and even if it finds a misspelled word it doesn't have a list of suggestion. It also says words that are spelled correctly are misspelled (for example "I'm").

I know that there was a consideration to change the software that the board uses. If the spell checker can't be fixed I'm all for changing to different software.

Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Not sure what I can do about not finding misspelled words, but I can ad words like I'm to the dictonary.

I also need to add a bunch of terms like Dishpro, LNB, Echostar, Ergen, HDTV etc to the list.

I am away from home today so it will be a few days until I can do this. :)

Hang in there.

silversurfer

silversurfer

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Las Vegas, Nevada
I have not had any problems with the spell checker but I think this software is awesome. I use multiple computers and this site knows if I have read a thread on all the computers. This allows me to jump to the most recent post in a topic no matter what machine I am on. I guess it does not store the info in a cookie on my machine like other sites do. It must be stored on the server. Please do not change this feature!

Cyclone

Cyclone

Proud Stiff Member
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
Maryland
Spelling? Ha! Who do you think you are going to impress on this board?

G

Gordon Small

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Feb 4, 2004
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Fcuknig amzanig, huh?

bryan92

bryan92

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 31, 2003
Statesboro, Ga
Gordon Small said:
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Fcuknig amzanig, huh?
I read that whole thing, no problem whatsoever. That is pretty interesting.

bcshields

bcshields

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 28, 2003
Delaware
bryan92 said:
I read that whole thing, no problem whatsoever. That is pretty interesting.

Years of scrolling chat rooms and typos have finally showed some benefit!

J

jcrash

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 26, 2003
Tulsa
Gordon Small said:

READ MORE

Status
Please reply by conversation.