Grounding a Satellite Dish

joshuals

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I have, for several years, had a Shaw Direct (fka Star Choice) grey-market account in the US. As such, I originally had to find an installer willing to install the system. After a successful install, I inquired of the installer about grounding the system. His reply was that "we don't do grounding in this part of the country" (Arizona). I have had at least one other installer tell me the same thing. Both of these installers also are supposely qualified to install Dish and Direct TV Systems.

I have recently researched an informed myself regarding the need to ground a satellite system, and am considering retrofitting my system to NES standards for grounding.

I have a couple of questions.

1) In view of the attitude of local installers, would I be better to seek a licensed electrician to do this work?

2) Does the fact that the dish is on the opposite side of the house from the electrical panel (and cannot be moved for line-of-sight reasons) mean that I cannot ground the system to NES code?

Thanks for any help or advice...

1. you could try an electrician but you could just do it yourself
2. If you have a ground rod that would work too and you dont need to run a line across the house.

The only dish that I have grounded is my Phase III that the D* installer grounded for me. My others are not grounded at all and havent had any issues with them :)

a ground rod is NOT to NEC code, you can ground or bond to electrical (mast, meter, metal conduit going to the meter) or cold water main (in front of the house).

All my dishes and towers at home are grounded. This is no guarantee against a direct lightning strike. I'd have to get my NEC book out and see why one poster says ground rods aren't to code. At work, we install ground rings around our buildings using #2 bare copper wire that is exothermally welded to 5/8 ground rods and with all our grounds from towers, propane tanks, buildings, etc, tied to the ground ring.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)