Guide download tip

haertig

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 21, 2004
As a new user (2 days), I've already found this forum to be great!

I had a problem with the 522 that was "solved", so I thought I'd pass on the tip in case anyone else experiences the same problem.

My 522 would not download the listings for my local channels (single digit and low 2 digit channel numbers). The higher channels above 100 had the program info just fine. The low channels just said "no info available". We tried forcing updates, power cycling, etc., but nothing would work.

The solution was to go to Guide, and from there enter "999 right-arrow" Right-arrow as in the button labeled "Browser". The tech said this causes the dvr to request 999 days of advance program info, which of course doesn't exist, but it goes out and gets what it can. I have not had the 522 long enough to know if this glitch was a one time thing or if it's going to be a repeating occurance.

I didn't find this workaround in these forums when I searched, so I thought I'd past it along.

Usually, the suggestion is to just be patient and live with it.... You'll get the guide data in a day or two, often overnight or so it seems.

They did not fill in for my receiver for several days, but showed up eventually. Nice to know that there is a shortcut for other newbies.

Strange. It doesn't work on my 522. When I do the 999 thing it just goes to the very end of the guide info that it has available. I just did it and it went to 12 AM on Wed. 6/02 but didn't try to get an updated guide. The 999 thing DOES work on my 322 though. Brought the update screen right up and did its thing. I wonder why this doesn't work on my 522 as it did for you???

WHen I did the 999 on my 522 it went to the last date/time just like you saw. I did NOT see any special updating screens or anything like that. However, when I then exited Guide and came back into Guide, my missing local info was there! That download must have been darn near instantaneous as I'm only talking maybe a second or two to hit 999, exit Guide, and then reenter Guide.

[ Edit ] Another thought I just had. Before doing 999, we hard been trying all kinds of things to force it to update. Nothing seemed to work. I was seeing update screen, but no updates appeared to be happening. Maybe they really WERE, but just not DISPLAYING. When I hit 999 maybe that forced the display. It could have actually been a combination of things that worked for me.

The guide data only updates during a power down/power up reset cycle or when you have the *updates* set to fire. (3AM is default)

By changing the time to the current time plus a few minutes, you can FORCE the guide to load sooner. The load is NOT instantaeneous, it takes about 3 minutes to get all of the data for the next 7 days. You will see a progress bar the first time you do it or if you do a hard reset with the power button.

It says 'Please wait while guide data is loading' or press cancel

Guide-999-browse does nothing but take you to the end of the guide. Sorry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts