Guide Info Incorrect for OTA stations

larrykenney

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
San Francisco, CA
In recent weeks I've noticed that the Guide listings for several OTA stations is incorrect. Not only is the programming wrong, but the name of the channel is also wrong. It looks something took the Guide information, shuffled it and put it back in the guide in random order.

Has anyone else noticed this occuring in their Guide?

Larry

Yes. But it corrected after several days on its own. My rebooting and rerunning OTA channels signals didn't change anything.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I have noticed this a lot in Chicago... the OTA channels that have changed frequencies over the past couple of months have the wrong data showing. For example, just last Monday, our CW began channel sharing with our FOX channel. And the FOX EPG data is now showing up on both the FOX channel and the CW channel. Very annoying...

I am not holding out much hope that this will ever get corrected. There are two stations in the Harrisburg Market that I haven't had correct data since they moved back in January. I have emailed both stations asking for help from their end and they do not even bother to reply.

Reactions: TheKrell
Yeah DISH doesn’t seem to care about guide Data for ota channels anymore. I’ve suggested to them for years to either allow us to use psip Data ota for subchannels they don’t want to give guide data to or allow us to use the Titan app and the internet to give us a full guide for all ota channels and I never get a response from them.

I agree 100% - as the repack continues this is going to get worst. And this isn't even subchannels that are being impacted, at least not in the Chicago market - these are primary channels. So far in Chicago, we have had 4 channels switch. As I already mentioned, our CW channel is now sharing with FOX, so our CW has FOX epg. There was a smaller channel (WXFT - Channel 60) is sharing with ABC now, so the ABC guide shows up on channel 60. PBS Channel 20 is now sharing with PBS Channel 11, so channel 11's data is on 20. And Telemundo is being shared with NBC, so the NBC data is showing up on Telemundo's programming guide. The thing that gets me is that when I subscribed to the locals via satellite, the correct data showed up (at that time it was just Telemundo sharing NBC and WXFT sharing ABC). Once I dropped the locals package, the wrong guide data showed up.

Dish needs to get on the stick and fix this issue- the repack is progressing and will affect more and more markets as it takes full effect.

When did Dish start generating the listing information? The last I knew they contracted for the listings from and existing service.

Reactions: NYDutch
It is a mess in the DC market. In cases of channel sharing the -1 data for the host channel appears in both channel's guide position.

Last edited:
I agree 100% - as the repack continues this is going to get worst. And this isn't even subchannels that are being impacted, at least not in the Chicago market - these are primary channels. So far in Chicago, we have had 4 channels switch. As I already mentioned, our CW channel is now sharing with FOX, so our CW has FOX epg. There was a smaller channel (WXFT - Channel 60) is sharing with ABC now, so the ABC guide shows up on channel 60. PBS Channel 20 is now sharing with PBS Channel 11, so channel 11's data is on 20. And Telemundo is being shared with NBC, so the NBC data is showing up on Telemundo's programming guide. The thing that gets me is that when I subscribed to the locals via satellite, the correct data showed up (at that time it was just Telemundo sharing NBC and WXFT sharing ABC). Once I dropped the locals package, the wrong guide data showed up.
Same problem in Lemont. A rescan won't fix the guide.

Sounds like a conspiracy to me, buy their $12 a month waterdowned locals and get correct info or buy rabbit ears and magically have guide problems. But $12 a month for channels at home that are free is not right.

You do know of course, that those channels are not free to Dish. Part of that $12 goes to the stations for access to their programming, and the rest pays Dish for delivering those stations to your TV. As said, you don't have to pay it...

You do know of course, that those channels are not free to Dish. Part of that $12 goes to the stations for access to their programming, and the rest pays Dish for delivering those stations to your TV. As said, you don't have to pay it...
Is this where I point out PSIP data arrives in every receiver across the country for free? And that Dish has decided not to utilize it? No, it may not be a week's worth, it may only be a couple hours, but it's going to have the station call letters, programming, and description.

And please don't say "Dish would have to pay software programmers to utilize it." The sub $100 TV you get at Walmart can use PSIP, I'm thinking Dish could afford the software programming.

Is this where I point out PSIP data arrives in every receiver across the country for free? And that Dish has decided not to utilize it? No, it may not be a week's worth, it may only be a couple hours, but it's going to have the station call letters, programming, and description.

And please don't say "Dish would have to pay software programmers to utilize it." The sub $100 TV you get at Walmart can use PSIP, I'm thinking Dish could afford the software programming.
And DVR technology would be worthless with short PSIP intervals...

And DVR technology would be worthless with short PSIP intervals...
To quote Sherman Potter "Bull Puckey!". If I can tell the DVR to record all showings of NCIS, it will do it whether it shows up in the guide data right then or not. Now, does it make it tougher to scroll through the guide to look into the future to set recordings? Yes. But if you'd rather have wrong (or NO) guide data and think that's a better solution than 3, 6, 7, 12 or even 24 hours (if not more), I don't know what to tell you.

I'll even help Dish with the programming...
Does customer select 'OTA' or 'Satellite' (default) for guide data?
If OTA: Use PSIP data
If Satellite: Use satellite delivered guide data

That would even help with the subchannels that Dish doesn't provide guide data for.

Obviously I was replying to the poster's last sentence, but I do agree using PSIP would be useful. I'm not sure how that plays out for the stations that dropped their licenses though, and continue broadcasting as a sub-channel under another licensee.

Reactions: MikeD-C05

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)