Guide is always stretched

Walker1

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 17, 2005
Hi, I have a Sony HD XBR2 TV and a 722 DVR. I have the picture settings set on both with one exception. For an unknown reason all my Dish chs. are in the proper size as is the Sony, BUT every time I put up the guide it's way too streched and I have to use the Sony's remote to change the screen size to normal.

The guide is the only ch. that does this. Dish toldme they didn't know what to do. Has anybody experienced this problem? If anyone knows how to resolve this annoying problem please let me know. I find this to be very odd. Thanks.:confused:

Which guide are you using? (Menu -> 8 -> 2).

I prefer "Extended-Partial guide with video"

Yes, it seems natively stretched slightly as do all the menus.

Do all menus seem stretched to you? Or just the guide?

Which guide are you using? (Menu -> 8 -> 2).

I prefer "Extended-Partial guide with video"

Yes, it seems natively stretched slightly as do all the menus.

Do all menus seem stretched to you? Or just the guide?

I use 8,2. I have tried std. Partial w/Vid., enhanced par. w/vid., and extended part. w/vid.. All 3 have the guide stretched. I prefer the extended w/ vid. to see more chs. @ the same time. I have to use the TV remote & put the pic. in "Full" mode to get the guide the way it's supposed to be. ALL other chs. are fine with no adjustments needed.

I have the same thing happen on my 622 and TV. For me, the guide is always stretched but the bottom is also cut-off. My 211 with my TV upstairs, HD also, is not stretched in any direction.

I have the same thing happen on my 622 and TV. For me, the guide is always stretched but the bottom is also cut-off. My 211 with my TV upstairs, HD also, is not stretched in any direction.

When I talked to the Dish rep he told me to call back after the L447 update. I guess I'll call them back later on today. Question: Does ANYBODY know how to move the guide ahead to any date in the future? I have to hold down the R arrow when seeking future programs. I do know about the Press 36, then hit the R arrow to advance the guide 36 hrs. from the current time. Thanks all.

The skip forward button moves ahead 24hrs at a time.

Thanks! That will be nice to use. BTW, I'm looking @ your bike & judging by the jugs & slogan you have it must be an HD. Am I correct? I have a 2005 Sportster 1200 Custom with a stage 1 dlr. installed kit. I always had Jap bikes until 2005 & I love the HD. Big balls, 50 MPG, and tons of low end torque.

Thanks! That will be nice to use. BTW, I'm looking @ your bike & judging by the jugs & slogan you have it must be an HD. Am I correct? I have a 2005 Sportster 1200 Custom with a stage 1 dlr. installed kit. I always had Jap bikes until 2005 & I love the HD. Big balls, 50 MPG, and tons of low end torque.
Yep, 2002 Road King. 95ci, Woods gear drive Cams, Wiesco pistons, Power Commander, Rinehart True Duals, 97Hp, 111 ft# torque.:hungry:

Yep, 2002 Road King. 95ci, Woods gear drive Cams, Wiesco pistons, Power Commander, Rinehart True Duals, 97Hp, 111 ft# torque.:hungry:

Sounds real nice. I think my 1200 is putting out around 75 HP with the stage 1 kit.

You should always have that Sony TV set to normal and use the 722s aspect controls for screen sizing.

Just 1 problem. In wide zoom mode you get about 33% more picture on each end like in the theatres. In full mode the 16X9 film is not showing. I know that the full mode will fix the guide, but I bought the Sony so I would have HD & see the same amt. of movie as in the movie houses. Thanks.

What you are describing, or the way you described it, makes no sense.

Whatever setting on the TV is correct for the guide and other menus is the right one. Use the * format button on the remote to adjust. There is also HDTV setup in the DVR menu where you specify 4x3 or 16x9 and the resolution, did you check that setting?

It almost sounds like you are using the TV to stretch 4x3 content to fill the 16x9 screen. If that's the case you are not getting "the same amt. of movie as in the movie houses" - you are getting the same amount of TV as a normal 4x3 TV, stretched. If this is what you like, the * button on the remote will do it.

What you are describing, or the way you described it, makes no sense.

Whatever setting on the TV is correct for the guide and other menus is the right one. Use the * format button on the remote to adjust. There is also HDTV setup in the DVR menu where you specify 4x3 or 16x9 and the resolution, did you check that setting?

It almost sounds like you are using the TV to stretch 4x3 content to fill the 16x9 screen. If that's the case you are not getting "the same amt. of movie as in the movie houses" - you are getting the same amount of TV as a normal 4x3 TV, stretched. If this is what you like, the * button on the remote will do it.

1) Dish is set to "Normal" mode. 2) In HD settings: Aspect Ratio is 16X9, TV Type is set @ 1080i, and Analog Type is set @ "Offair".
3) Sony TV is set @ Wide mode-zoom-(Sony told me it should be there). When I change the Sony's mode to "Full" guide is OK, BUT in that mode am I NOT getting true theatre viewing area? Tell me if i've got a setting wrong. The intent is to see a 16X9 movie in its original viewing format. I don't know if the full mode is for 4X3 or a 16X9.

1)
3) Sony TV is set @ Wide mode-zoom-(Sony told me it should be there). .

That's your problem. Set the TV to normal and control your aspect with the Dish receiver. As long as the dish is setup like you say it should format correctly. With your TV set to wide mode zoom you would actually be losing HD content off the edge of the screen.

That's your problem. Set the TV to normal and control your aspect with the Dish receiver. As long as the dish is setup like you say it should format correctly. With your TV set to wide mode zoom you would actually be losing HD content off the edge of the screen.

Ok, I'll do that. Thanks.

You have overscan.
I had a Samsung HL-S5687 (bulb & wheel) and the overscan defeat in the service menus would not stick. I exchanged because of wheel noise for a HL-T5687 (LED) and the overscan was off from the start and perfect -- well with a llttle re-centering. The Dish menus are a little underscanned but that is understandable to work for most sets.
-Ken

You need to adjust the picture display using the 722 remote by pressing the lower left button beside the 0 and use normal. Dish needs to change this to require a display screen to come up before it changes the mode of the display instead of just changing when it is pushed as it is very easy to hit that button by accident where it is postioned on the remote.:tux:

I'm having the same type of problem. I have a 722 and a Mitsu 65" HD (about 5 years old). I use the large guide so I can see the most channels and most time slots. I notice that the bottom channel is cut off in half. Then the other night I was noticing the verbage at the top and bottom of a commercial was also cut off. This is in 722 NORMAL mode. it only gets worst if I soom or stretch it. I think it is set right, 1080i, 16x9. Any suggestions?

I'm having the same type of problem. I have a 722 and a Mitsu 65" HD (about 5 years old). I use the large guide so I can see the most channels and most time slots. I notice that the bottom channel is cut off in half. Then the other night I was noticing the verbage at the top and bottom of a commercial was also cut off. This is in 722 NORMAL mode. it only gets worst if I soom or stretch it. I think it is set right, 1080i, 16x9. Any suggestions?

If both your 722 and your Mitsu are set to normal, then you need to have the overscan adjusted on your display.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)