H23R sloooooow

Status
Please reply by conversation.

53jimc

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
Roebuck, SC
So, in my quest to improve my setup, my old H23 DVR is getting sloooooow changing channels and loading info. Is there a fix for that? It has served me well over the past few years and I don't really want to get rid of it.

Are there software/firmware updates that I can push?

I have just hooked it up to the web via ethernet so am now actually getting D* on demand, even though it's slow. My connection through cable checking via speedtest.net is really fast. I can work from home via VPN and can't tell the difference from here or the plant.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Jim

HR21-23 are the worse dvr's in the HR series by directv. that was my experience and many others seem to feel the same way.

Last edited:
If it has actually gotten slower over time then the hard drive might be to blame. They will all fail eventually.

hmmm... would an external hard drive help? I'll have to do a search, don't know if that's even possible with a H23....

My HR23 is also slow, but it's basically used as the server for some recordings.
The HR24 is used as the client in my unsupported MRV set up.

BTW, you have the HR23, right?

hmmm... would an external hard drive help? I'll have to do a search, don't know if that's even possible with a H23....

An external hard drive is possible with the HR23 as long as it is an eSATA drive. Please be aware that adding an external hard drive bypasses the internal drive entirely and your old recordings will no longer be visible. If the hard drive was actually the problem then that would fix it.

My HR23 is also slow, but it's basically used as the server for some recordings.
The HR24 is used as the client in my unsupported MRV set up.

BTW, you have the HR23, right?

Yes, HR23. It's a DVR. I hate to disturb it by looking on the back during the world series, but I know H23 is right, and I know it's my primary DVR.

An external hard drive is possible with the HR23 as long as it is an eSATA drive. Please be aware that adding an external hard drive bypasses the internal drive entirely and your old recordings will no longer be visible. If the hard drive was actually the problem then that would fix it.

That is definitely an option. I'll do a reset, see what happens. I don't have a problem with losing anything that's recorded. Hmmm... seems at least a 1TB drive is in order.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)