Had my dish moved, then the tech hauls in a Polk soundbar.

Do you think the average customer, who demographically these days is in their 60s and older knows anything about home security, surround sound or how to install it???
Please. You look a this from the wrong angle. Do you know who buys Surround Sound the most?? Old people with hearing issues. Do you think some 80-year-old can climb a ladder or have a clue how to install security cameras? And do you honestly believe that in an industry that's bleeding customers - industry-wide, there wouldn't be a way to generate more revenue? You DO know that the primary function of a business is to make money, right?

And no one said anything about not price shopping, Customers are free to and do look up prices on the stuff the tech is offering and the prices are normally the same, or less or even if slightly higher, buying them in a store or online doesn't include installation; or you can call the Geek Squad who charge $150.00 just to ring your doorbell.

Customer: We've been thinking about a camera doorbell.
Dish Tech: We happen to do that.

Customer: I want to wall mount my TV but I have no idea how to that.
Dish Tech: I do and can do it right now

Customer: I can't hear my TV
Dish Tech: I can fix that.

Customer: My WiFi is useless on the 2nd floor:
Dish Tech: I can solve that problem,

Customer: I hate all these extension chords
Dish Tech: I have something for that

Now tell me where the problem is?

Also, would you rather Dish have just paid the ransom and allowed the hackers to keep control of their files?
And I hate to tell you this, but Dish is global. With offices, services and facilities around the world.
And you're right about BoA because they paid the ransom. The highest ransom ever paid and STILL had to rebuild their systems to replace what the hackers STILL had control of.
My mother blew up 2 tv speakers from her having it up so loud and not wanting to use her hearing aids!

Many of those "in their 60s and older" customers, like me, have been doing electronics for longer than you have been alive. It's pretty disingenuous of you to think we are incapable of basic installations like installing a door bell camera, mounting a tv, etc. These are all things I, and many others, are perfectly capable of doing.
Yes, older folks are subject to stereotypes just like other groups of people. I was working in a data processing center in 1968. I've got more electronic gadgets in my house than any sane person needs.

However, HipKat's point is still made. Lot's of people of all ages are technically challenged, their strengths lie in other fields. I've got a friend who just paid the Geek Squad to install a new printer. Really.

I don't have any objection to a technician offering other products, just so he stops when I say "no thank you". Courtesy is a two way street.

Here's the thing- yes, these customers could all use more "all-around" tech help around all of their tech, but they've been inculcated against paying what that's really worth. They're getting a free DBS system, free installation AND a $300 gift card, and you want $200 to mount their TV??

Many of those "in their 60s and older" customers, like me, have been doing electronics for longer than you have been alive. It's pretty disingenuous of you to think we are incapable of basic installations like installing a door bell camera, mounting a tv, etc. These are all things I, and many others, are perfectly capable of doing.
Nobody is saying you can't. It's just 100% fact that the older people buy more of our products than anyone else. Numbers don't lie.

Here's the thing- yes, these customers could all use more "all-around" tech help around all of their tech, but they've been inculcated against paying what that's really worth. They're getting a free DBS system, free installation AND a $300 gift card, and you want $200 to mount their TV??
That's one of the only things I disagree on price. I think it should be $150. But also at the same time you can not mount your tv or can do it yourself or hire someone else that will charge the same or more.

Reactions: charlesrshell
At the end of the day I absolutely love that we carry all these products and love when the customer gets what they need and are happy about it. However I disagree with the way dish pushes us to sell more and more and care more about sales than actual service. I'm actually about to lose my job because of it. I take care of customers first then offer solutions but in my area people just don't have money to spend and because of that I can't get raises and am close to being let go because I'm the only tech in my office, so they will shut the whole office down.

The battery card went away in the early 90's.
I don't know who made the batteries you had an issue with.I'm sure the company had many different battery vendors through the years.I don't remember any rechargeables being a particular issue(believe me I can remember some troublesome products) .
The company didn't go out of it's way to tell us who made what.At one point they did own a factory in China and some products like actual radios were made there.Sometimes it was just common knowledge,sometimes the buyer would let it slip and sometimes you could just figure it out.
One time we were told our new metal cassette tape was going to be made by a company whose name began with an "M". I immediately thought of Maxell who was regarded (along with TDK) of being the elite of tape. Turned out to be Memorex-I was crushed.Ironically it turned out to be a good tape.
Thanks for the info. These batteries were more towards the end of RS as they came in 4 packs and I had like 4 of them. Ofcourse it's obvious, it was made in China and not Panasonic Eneloops which usually are the only good rechargeable batteries. I am still using them now for things that aren't demanding or just to see what I put it in works. Memorex was a big supplier but Memorex does not make their own CD-R's as those can be made by Taiko-Yuden if it has the screw on cap on top which would be the case if it was Fuji, Maxell, TDK as well. Otherwise they are made by either some company in Taiwan or India. I know for example, their soldering core flux was made by Caig Laboratories. One of my friends who I met on PCLink (the precursor to AOL) was a RS store manager in Chicago and sent me a bunch of RS things for free.

Let me guess, you get incensed when the cashier at McDonalds, or any store of that kind, asks "would you like fries with that?" It's really simple to say no thank you. It's like the Witnesses ringing my doorbell. I open it and before they get a word out of their mouth I tell them I'm not interested, thank you. I usually get a smile as they turn and wish me a good day. Now, I get some of these door to door solar sales folks that won't take that not interested, thank you at my word that gets a door slammed in their face. :)
LOL and it reminds me why people buy this sign:
1689115308423.png

At the end of the day I absolutely love that we carry all these products and love when the customer gets what they need and are happy about it. However I disagree with the way dish pushes us to sell more and more and care more about sales than actual service. I'm actually about to lose my job because of it. I take care of customers first then offer solutions but in my area people just don't have money to spend and because of that I can't get raises and am close to being let go because I'm the only tech in my office, so they will shut the whole office down.
I have a question, who is liable for the service like providing warranty should a product failed since wouldn't the customer have issues when dealing with the manufacturer?

I wish the last Dish tech had mentioned wall mounts.Our bedroom TV has had a mount sitting near it for well over a year.I know my electronics but I'm a lousy handyman.From the last carpenter that was here I know wall studs happen to be in the correct space but he had been at my house for too long( a couple of weeks) and needed to move on.It's one of those out of sight out of mind projects as the tv is fully functional where it is.
You can just call Dish and setup a truck roll to mount the TV

No, not many have. You may have. You may know people who have but MOST people in their 60's and above - which is YOUNG for the customer base now - do not and no offense, but for the past 10 years at about 3-5+ truck rolls a day, I'm going to guess I have seen people in those age groups, not just from every background, but just more overall.

That would be heartbreaking to lose you, Troy

I have a question, who is liable for the service like providing warranty should a product failed since wouldn't the customer have issues when dealing with the manufacturer?
Generally any warranty will be through the manufacturer. Just like buying at a store. They shouldn't really have any issue with the manufacturer as at this point I believe all of our non dish products are no longer dish exclusive.

A good salesman can sell anything!

Or so I hear.

I believe the first rule of salesmanship is: Once you’ve made the sale, STOP TALKING! All you can do at that point is lose the sale. We had a guy who never took it to heart. He was out to prove how brilliant he was to the customer.

He left us later, trying to steal a list of all our customers to give to his next employer, a competitor of ours. I stopped that. He went over my head, AND I WAS BACKED BY THE HIGHER UPS! Well, both of them. I guess they saw instantly that the only reason for getting that was not good. He quit that day. And the grass was decidedly NOT greener on the other side of the fence. Schadenfreude.

Generally any warranty will be through the manufacturer. Just like buying at a store. They shouldn't really have any issue with the manufacturer as at this point I believe all of our non dish products are no longer dish exclusive.
With a store, I think one of the advantages is you can return it if you changed your mind or even for the warranty period after the return period is over, you can bring it back to the store and they would be the one who deals with the manufacturer. Hopefully there is a invoice and receipt as some manufacturers are very picky.

Many of those "in their 60s and older" customers, like me, have been doing electronics for longer than you have been alive.…
As be part of that demographic, I would whole heartedly agree with with this part of the statement. I do my research, understand to tasks at hand, and do all my own work/installs, etc. and am completely comfortable with all the technological efforts. However…
No, not many have. You may have. You may know people who have but MOST people in their 60's and above - which is YOUNG for the customer base now - do not and no offense, but for the past 10 years at about 3-5+ truck rolls a day, I'm going to guess I have seen people in those age groups, not just from every background, but just more overall.
Folks like me in this demographic are, in my experience, 1 in a 1000, or rarer. And this is true being in the high-tech San Francisco Bay area. Most folks in this age group are either mildly inept to completely incompetent with the current technological world. And that’s not meant to a knock on them. Rather, they just didn’t grow up as a dyed-in-the-wool techno geek like I did. They mostly live comfortably In their 1970/1980/1990 lives because that’s what they know and were use to. When they need help with the current technological world, they’re more that happy to pay for it because either they don’t have the skills, the tools, or just don’t have the inclination to learn how to do it themselves. (or my per group friends call on me to help them out and I get a big plate of cookies or free beer! ;)).

This isn’t a new dynamic. This techno schism Has been true for for every generational transition. The only difference is transitions happen in a few short decades for what use to take hundreds of years.

Take solace in the fact you/I/we get to be special in that, even though we may get old in body, we stay young and fresh in mind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)