Hard drive error on 4-day-old 522

maximum

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Phoenix
This morning my 522 had the message saying that there is a hard drive error and all recorded programs will need to be cleaned off within 7 days. This concerns me a lot because my 522 is only four days old (I'm on number 4 now). I called the support line and was told that the message is not because of an error on the hard drive. She said that if I don't turn off the tuners at night this error will appear and they are working on a software fix for it. But I still will need to offload any recordings I want to keep in the next 7 days or it will delete them for me. :mad:
I'm not convinced that there really isn't a hard drive problem because a couple of days ago the nightly hard drive diagnostics was still running and hand been for over two hours. I canceled it but now I wonder if the reason it was running so long was because there really is a hard drive error.

boba said:
Your on your 4th 522 and still a DISH customer? You really like problems or really like DISH.
I think that he was saying that it is the 4th day, not 522 number 4.

That tech support answer seems like a lame excuse. My HDD is about 90% full of stuff I want to keep.. I really need to offload it fast before I lose mine.

They keep switching out receivers trying to resolve lost signal issues. They've replaced every piece of equipment (LNBF, 522, cabling, every connector) but we still lose the signal from time to time. There are no trees or any other obstructions anywhere near the dish.
I'm going to try putting the 522 in a different location to see if the other components in the entertainment center are causing interference. If that doesn't work then we'll be forced to try D* or go back to cable.
I'm kind of hooked on the dual tuner DVR so that's the only reason I'm so patient with them.

Jahntassa said:
Yeah, if you 'cancel' the overnight diagnostic check, it automatically tells you it needs to wipe the drive. Gotta love the logic.

I have canceled said diagnostic and it did not do this to me...

Well, they hooked up a new 522 today. This is number 5 for me.

There was defiantly something wrong with the hard drive. We cleared it three times and on each nightly update one of two things would happen:
Either the hard disk diagnostic screen would run for hours on end or we would get the message saying there is an error and the drive needs to be cleaned.
Obviously, whatever was wrong with the drive couldn't be fixed by cleaning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts