hard drive

Status
Please reply by conversation.
how do you format your hard drive on your HDDVR

You do not format drive. When you connect a drive to your receiver and then turn on the receiver, the receiver will format the drive. If you have a new receiver, when the receiver is plugged in and turned on for the first time, the receiver will again format the drive.

Drive format is a proprietary format that can not be read/written to by computer. Plug it in and forget about it. Make sure if you are using a new external HD that you have receiver turned off before connecting new external HD.

In order:
Make sure everything is powered off.
Connect HD.
Turn on power to HD.
Turn on receiver.
Wait. It takes a while for receiver to format and prepare new drive. :rolleyes:

It in the system menu i pul up instructions for you but it is a pain t odo and takes a long time

Catz the way it worded sounds like he wants to wipe the internal drive.

to wipe the internal drive?

go into the settings and do a reset and select "reset everything" and it will wipe the drive clean. I've done that on both the R22 (personal reasonings) and the R15 (got it used)

to wipe the internal drive?

go into the settings and do a reset and select "reset everything" and it will wipe the drive clean. I've done that on both the R22 (personal reasonings) and the R15 (got it used)

That is NOT the way I was told to do it.

I know you would think it would do that, but I don't think it does.

If I had a DVR with only a few recordings on it, I would try it to find out, but mine have a lot on them that I need to see yet.

edit:
I really don't have anything important on the HR20-700 anymore....
So your saying if I do a Reset Everything, it will clear the recordings ?

Last edited:
Reset everything

Well, first thing it wants you to do is to reset the remote to IR.
Then the next page DOES say it will remove all recordings and reset the recvr to factory defaults, and that it will take 1-3 hours to do so.

When I saw this, I decided I didn't want to wait that long and also didn't want to lose my favorites list and all my dvr settings, so I canceled the procedure .....

It looks like it will reset EVERYTHING, I could have swore I did that once before and it did not do that, but it might have been one of the other options.

Jimbo it doesnt take that long

Takes about as much time as a normal reboot...maybe a few minutes longer since it checks the HDD...but it does reset the favorite list and defaults
hence "reset EVERYTHING" ;)

Jimbo it doesnt take that long

Takes about as much time as a normal reboot...maybe a few minutes longer since it checks the HDD...but it does reset the favorite list and defaults
hence "reset EVERYTHING" ;)

And removes all Recordings, Correct ?

Yep, Iceberg is right, I did it when I was having issues with my HR24. Its more like deleting the partition or MBR. It's to quick to be a wipe. All recordings are gone and the box is reset to factory specs.

yep I had to do "master" reset on the R15. Power went out for a minute and the R15 wouldnt reboot properly (the R22 did)

Did a MR and now it works...but I lost 19 Dukes of Hazzard episodes from this weekend :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)