Hard wire and wirless together?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

designer

Original poster
Feb 6, 2005
NC
I've got my Wildblue install schedualed for next week. :D I want to get everything I need before then. I want my son's PC hardwired, I read it is more reliable for online gaming, but I want wireless for my laptop. I mostly just surf and check email. Is that possible? Would I need a wireless router, a regular router, or would I have to have both? Or is it not possible? Would it have to be either/ or? What would I need to have before they show up for the install? Thanks.

designer said:
I've got my Wildblue install schedualed for next week. :D I want to get everything I need before then. I want my son's PC hardwired, I read it is more reliable for online gaming, but I want wireless for my laptop. I mostly just surf and check email. Is that possible? Would I need a wireless router, a regular router, or would I have to have both? Or is it not possible? Would it have to be either/ or? What would I need to have before they show up for the install? Thanks.

Any wireless router "not a wireless access point" will have a 4 port switch built in, so you can hook up to 4 hardwired computers to it and usually 32 wireless. Now the bad news is online gaming is going to suck with the satellite internet system. The speed is fine but the ping times are horrible so in a game like Doom he will be dead before he knows it.

If only one computer is being hardwired get the installer to put the modem by that computer. Depending on the installer he may get everything up and going for you or he can be a jackass and just get the main computer going. If he does get everything going be good to him and slip him 10 or 15 bucks. :) Its not his job to get the wireless going, but it takes only 5 mins. If he does not want to do it don't worry about it and someone here can give you some info about getting it going.

These are some examples.
http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=316

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2470125

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGR614.php

I recommend the Dlink DI-624 or DI-624M. AND I 100% agree; sat internet and gaming do not get along. If your laptop does not have wireless built-in, look at the DWL-G650M, DWL-G650, or the WNA-2330 from the same page.

Last edited:
"sat internet and gaming do not get along"
:eek: My teen's going to be in for a big suprise. He is sooo looking forward to "high speed" for his game. Is it the same problem with xbox360? He has never been able to use that because of the lack of a high speed connection. He is playing "world of warcraft". Our dialup averages 42bps and the game does ok on it. Main problem for me is him hogging the connection. ISP only allows 1 PC to use it at a time. I'll not cancil my dial up for a while and let him test it out. If it doesn't work for him I can keep the dailup for him, and let him get a job to pay for it.:D and I'll enjoy the sat. connection.

My son has a xbox 360 and we have wildblue, he plays Call of Duty & Halo 2 on xbox live, latency is a problem, it does OK. when he shots (presses the trigger) it takes up to 2-3 seconds for the screen to react, the result he needs to be a accurate shot to get the kill.

brfmn said:
My son has a xbox 360 and we have wildblue, he plays Call of Duty & Halo 2 on xbox live, latency is a problem, it does OK. when he shots (presses the trigger) it takes up to 2-3 seconds for the screen to react, the result he needs to be a accurate shot to get the kill.

Makes him a better player. :D

I have Direcway home plan and I have played Burnout Revenge 360 just fine. Now of course that game isn't as time critical as some, but I do notice a lag, but nothing I can't correct or prepare for. It isn't DSL, but I would say at least some games are playable.

Beyond that it is nice to be able to download content to the 360, along with updates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)