Has anyone noticed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
This has been discussed over the years. It does appear that Dish subscribers are more passionate about the service - both good and bad posts. Maybe because Dish has one very recognizable spokesperson - Charlie, and Charlie Chats.

It may also be because they are in the news more often - early on problems with some receivers (seems much better now overall), the Distants problems, & not immediately accepting programmers terms. Superstations have long been a source of posts, plus it was Dish who early on saw the need to provide locals at a time Direct was not that interested. There were thousands of posts (before this forum existed) of people who were for it and against it. Dish also has a way of announcing things that either don't happen, happen differently than originally announced, or happens, but at a very further date than announced. Direct seems to wait till something is ready to go, then announce it, with one possible exception of their announcement of coming HD channels. All these things I think contribute to more posts and thoughts about Dish. I certainly view Dish as the maverick provider out of all the cable companies and Direct.

For some reason, Dish subs tend to be more "tech" types. Dish has been far more innovative than Direct. Dish Tech folks listen to the subs and will even contact them by phone to improve quality. Dish had a lot of firsts: MPEG 2; integrated Sat and DVR box; HD DVR; Award winning or highest rated hardware such as the old 6000; first to offer portability with the Pocket Dish; first to "give away" DVR to new customers, first to offer free dual tuner DVR, dual tuner HD DVR; first to provide up to 4 TV's free; first to offer UHF remote technology, first to offer 2 TV operation from a single box; first to offer a dual tuner box (the old 721); first to offer Picture-In-Picture; currently superior dual tuner box with features lacking in the Direct R15; First with a substantial number of HD channels; First to offer upgrade deals, and still has the best deals for new or current customers; First to offer discount on your bill for referring new customers; and by a majority of those on boards who can compare, Dish wins with, however slight, superior sound and picture compared to Direct to this date.

I could go on and on (I think I have). But Echostar really is a "techies'" dream (and nightmare?), or at least you can see why the "techies" are drawn to Dish. Dish does have problems, and we let them know about it, but they are far more responsive than any other sat or cable company out there. Yes, I do prefer, enjoy, and even endorse dish, but that doesn't mean that my 721 doesn't tick me off sometimes:).

Make no mistake, Direct TV may have been first, but satellite is as big, successful, and as healthy a competitor to cable today because of Charles Ergan and what he did with Dish Network outlasting all the other big corporate satellite competitors on the scene in the 1990's. He really is responsible for a revolution that changed the pay TV business. Like him or not, it was he who knew what to do with satellite, not Direct. They didn't get around to following his model for almost 2 years. Now all they do is copy every move he makes.

Last edited:
For some reason, Dish subs tend to be more "tech" types. Dish has been far more innovative than Direct. Dish Tech folks listen to the subs and will even contact them by phone to improve quality. Dish had a lot of firsts: MPEG 2; integrated Sat and DVR box; HD DVR; Award winning or highest rated hardware such as the old 6000; first to offer portability with the Pocket Dish; first to "give away" DVR to new customers, first to offer free dual tuner DVR, dual tuner HD DVR; first to provide up to 4 TV's free; first to offer UHF remote technology, first to offer 2 TV operation from a single box; first to offer a dual tuner box (the old 721); first to offer Picture-In-Picture; currently superior dual tuner box with features lacking in the Direct R15; First with a substantial number of HD channels; First to offer upgrade deals, and still has the best deals for new or current customers; First to offer discount on your bill for referring new customers; and by a majority of those on boards who can compare, Dish wins with, however slight, superior sound and picture compared to Direct to this date.

I could go on and on (I think I have). But Echostar really is a "techies'" dream (and nightmare?), or at least you can see why the "techies" are drawn to Dish. Dish does have problems, and we let them know about it, but they are far more responsive than any other sat or cable company out there. Yes, I do prefer, enjoy, and even endorse dish, but that doesn't mean that my 721 doesn't tick me off sometimes:).

Make no mistake, Direct TV may have been first, but satellite is as big, successful, and as healthy a competitor to cable today because of Charles Ergan and what he did with Dish Network outlasting all the other big corporate satellite competitors on the scene in the 1990's. He really is responsible for a revolution that changed the pay TV business. Like him or not, it was he who knew what to do with satellite, not Direct. They didn't get around to following his model for almost 2 years. Now all they do is copy every move he makes.

YOU are Correct sir! :up :hatsoff:

I agree also. :hatsoff:

Sounds like your saying that us DISH subs are Echo STAR TrECHIES :D

One of the most enlighting posts I have read. Thanks for the info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts