Have to power off vip622 at night????

maverick96

Original poster
Sep 19, 2005
Hi guys her is my question I was told by dish installer that it is best to turn the receiver off at night, here is my question thouygh what happens if you have something set to record overnight will the receiver still record it? Or will you lose out due to the fact that the receiver is off? Also is it necessary to turn the receiver off overnight or whenever it is not in use? Or should it just be left on 24/7? Thank You guys in advance for any info. it's much appreciated!!!!

they are set to get their updates @ 3am by default, and if the receiver is turned on at that time it wont update. it thinks it in use. the record timers turn the receiver on and off again after the time they are set for.

Turn "off" when not in use. Of course (think about it), it's NOT actually "off", but in stand-by.

My 622 will (if it's not recording), give me a pop-up when it wants to update and I'm still watching TV. I just cancel ut - it catches up soon enough.

All boxes should be shut off when not being watched.

They don't record when off. What they do is they turn themselves on, record, and then shut back off.

If it's on when a timer is set, it switches the channel, records it, and when it's done it goes back to the previous channel and stays on.

You figure out how it works after a while, but basically you should have it off when it's not being used. That is the overnight hours for most people.

And of course, none of them are really "off" when they're off. But the ViP622 is less "off" than the others.

If I turn my ViP622 off, but leave the TV on, a floating logo appears, stating something to the effect "press Select to continue." Sure enough, if you press Select, it turns back on. When I turn my 721 off, there is no signal fed to the TV.

What difference does this make? Some TVs, like my JVC 61Z786 HDTV, will turn themselves off after a few minutes of no signal. For rear projection TVs like mine, it saves on the bulb life. If I did not turn off the TV with the 721, the TV would turn itself off after 9 minutes. If I forget to turn it off with the ViP622, it will stay on indefinitely.

Well I'm sort of confused. When you guys mean "off" do you mean pressing power on the remote control in SAT mode or actually pressing down the power button on the receiver?

jballa91 said:
Well I'm sort of confused. When you guys mean "off" do you mean pressing power on the remote control in SAT mode or actually pressing down the power button on the receiver?
Either one (but not pressing and holding the power button on the receiver--that will do a soft boot). To really "turn off" a receiver, you have to unplug it. :)

The ViP622 has a default time of 3:00 AM, but you can change it by:
......(a) Menu button
......(b) Preferences (8)
......(c) Updates (5)

As stated, if you are using either of the tuners (TV1 or TV2) it will skip the update. I believe this update is only the "9 Day Program Guide". Sometimes my kids will turn off the TV in one of the bedrooms, but forget to turn off the ViP622 TV2 Tuner. Sometimes I'll go get the remote and turn it off, but sometimes I'll just catch up the next day.

However, I believe the receiver checks for software updates (L359) anytime both receivers are off, regardless of what the time "Menu-8-5" is set for.

Last note:
If you are a light sleeper you may hear the system kick on and shortly after it will do a re-boot, a few lights will flash, then it will be quiet while it re-acquires a satellite signal.

So be careful if you sleep with a gun. :eek:

The receiver does its nightly updates even if it is not turned off. I have mine set to be on all the time and it stays up to date. Got L359 right along with every one else.

Jim5506 said:
The receiver does its nightly updates even if it is not turned off. I have mine set to be on all the time and it stays up to date. Got L359 right along with every one else.
If you're in single mode and not using the second tuner, you're right.

However, the box MUST reboot to load new software. I'll bet the warning popup will timeout after a short time of no response, and just go ahead as if you'd hit "OK/Yes".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)