Having a switch installed versus having two dishes

helloyou101

Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
United States
I just moved to a larger home and we need to use 4 boxes. I have leased a 722k, a 722, and a 922. I own a 625. The Installer that came out yesterday said that he could not install four boxes because he didn't have the switch required. He stated the work order didn't mention four boxes. I suggested that he install a second dish and he asked me, "why I would want another ugly dish on the side of my house." To which my husband replied, "Of course we don't want another ugly dish on the side of the house, we'll make an appointment for another Tech to come out and install the switch."

Today, a new installer arrived and said that the notes were not updated by the last installer and he also did not have the required switch. He went out to look at the dish, came back in and said that I should use a second dish because the switch would degrade my signal over time. I told him I would need to discuss it with my husband because we were informed by their last installer that two dishes are ugly and unnecessary.

My question is, is it true that having a switch degrades the signal?

Also, while the first Installer was here, I asked him to fish cable through the wall in one of the bedrooms because the prior satellite provider had strung cable from their dish along the outside wall, and through the wall. This is our first home and we're proud of it. We don't want cables strung all over the outside or the inside of the house. He said, "that could cost you money, I'll take a look and let you know what your options are." He did his assessment and then walked us around and said our options were to have have cable strung outside around the house or outside around the inside of the house. We chose inside.

Do you know what the policy is regarding fishing cables through the walls versus leaving a customer with cable all over their house?

No, call dish and have them send out the correct switch. Switches do not downgrade over time, or downgrade the signal.

Wall fishing isn't covered in a normal install. I think it's an extra $50 and depending on how many walls or lines you need fished it could be more.
Also from your description it sounds like an outside wall which hopefully is full of insulation. Where are you located if eastern arc the 625 can't be used?

How is a Hoppa Joey better OP has 4 receivers with 8 tuners. 1 Hoppa and 3 Joeys would be only 3 tuners.

It depends how many TVs he has. If they have 4 TVs 2 Hoppers/2 Joeys would be less in monthly fees and deliver HD everywhere. Their house might also have cable wiring which could be used for the Joeys vs having to do the new run of cable to support an VIP box. $17x2 + $14? = $48, 2 hopper 2 Joey $21 (same $10 DVR fee since they have 922).

Wall fishes are generally an extra charge. I personally won't fish an outside wall because of insulation and there isn't a good way to access the header in the attic. Also, wall fishing in a finished basement I usually just won't do it. It generally requires cutting out a lot of drywall in the ceiling and walls. I don't patch drywall and the time and liability isn't worth it.

A 44 switch won't degrade your signal. However, it is not included in most work orders. They can sometimes be modified to be added on, but that's irrelevant if the tech isn't carrying one.

I did all my own wall fishes, that way when the installer came out he just had to put on the end connectors. I wanted them to all run the way I wanted.

I just moved to a larger home and we need to use 4 boxes. I have leased a 722k, a 722, and a 922. I own a 625. The Installer that came out yesterday said that he could not install four boxes because he didn't have the switch required. He stated the work order didn't mention four boxes. I suggested that he install a second dish and he asked me, "why I would want another ugly dish on the side of my house." To which my husband replied, "Of course we don't want another ugly dish on the side of the house, we'll make an appointment for another Tech to come out and install the switch."

Today, a new installer arrived and said that the notes were not updated by the last installer and he also did not have the required switch. He went out to look at the dish, came back in and said that I should use a second dish because the switch would degrade my signal over time. I told him I would need to discuss it with my husband because we were informed by their last installer that two dishes are ugly and unnecessary.

My question is, is it true that having a switch degrades the signal?

Also, while the first Installer was here, I asked him to fish cable through the wall in one of the bedrooms because the prior satellite provider had strung cable from their dish along the outside wall, and through the wall. This is our first home and we're proud of it. We don't want cables strung all over the outside or the inside of the house. He said, "that could cost you money, I'll take a look and let you know what your options are." He did his assessment and then walked us around and said our options were to have have cable strung outside around the house or outside around the inside of the house. We chose inside.

Do you know what the policy is regarding fishing cables through the walls versus leaving a customer with cable all over their house?

The problem isn't that the installer won't 'give' you a switch. Your account currently shows only three active receivers. The work order lists the equipment necessary to get your three receivers up and running. Maybe you need to call Dish and make sure your 625 receiver is showing active on the account. That may cause the work order to show the proper switch needed to connect all four receivers. Dish is really strict on its installers about allocating equipment off their trucks that does not show on the work order. That would encourage theft of equipment if it didn't have to be accounted for and/or reconciled with the work order.

The wall fish is considered 'custom work' and you would be responsible for paying for it. It takes longer to do it and exposes the installer to more liability. Possibly falling through a ceiling or drilling through a water/gas/electrical line. Besides that, outside walls are very difficult to wall fish after the drywall has gone up. Because the roof usually slopes downward over the outside wall, there is no room for the installer to wedge himself in that small space, nor have room to drill a hole through the header board. Besides that, most outside walls have firestops (horizontal boards between the studs about halfway up the wall). That would present another drilling obstacle. Cutting drywall inside the house is an option, but not for an installer. Your electrician should do that. Satellite installers are not paid, nor qualified to do extensive drywall repairs.

In a nutshell, after assessing your situation, the installer probably felt it was better to run the cable outside the house. Or in your case, inside the house. There was a reason why the original installer placed the cable around the outside of the house in the first place.

Last edited:
Switches don't degrade signal over time, but they do fail and the one for your system would require a dedicated electrical outlet for a power inserter. As far as fishing walls, you would pay if you wanted the installer to do it. You're better off calling an electrician because not all DNS techs or contractors know how to fish walls. Also, outside walls in finished basement are a royal PITA to fish. That 625 will not work if you have Eastern Arc equipment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts