HBO/MAX Audio

M

munsel6

Jan 17, 2004
s/w AZ.
Has anyone else noticed a static sound coming from some loud passages on HBO/MAX? Have heard this on star trek generations when ship crashes to earth and on original x files movie at the beginning with the torch in the cave and then when helicopter comes. I have these two movies on regular dvd with no distortion coming through. I have a 722 dvr hooked up with both hdmi and optical and distortion happens with both. I have heard this distortion on other hbo/max movies which I don't remember what they were at the moment. I have not heard this distortion on any other channels. Yes I have audio set up of 722 set to line with leveling set to off.

Teehar

Teehar

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 29, 2010
WNC
Just watched Generations not too long ago connected to 5.1 dolby receiver via spid and didn't notice any distortion.That was with a 612 though.

KAB

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
I noticed a static-electric pop like sound on a couple of movies I recorded during the last free-view.

Tampa8

Tampa8

Supporting Founder - I'll stand up and say so
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa/Eastern Ct
Nothing wrong then, that's just today's music....... ;)

M

munsel6

Jan 17, 2004
s/w AZ.
KAB, That sounds like what I am hearing, I have reported this to DISH Tech support a couple of times. Glad to know its not my imagination, but would still like to know if its a HBO/MAX or DISH issue.

Teehar

Teehar

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 29, 2010
WNC
I'll have to check out another movie or 2.It could be a 722 issue.

S

schwa

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Dec 8, 2005
I hear this all the time during loud passages on my Hopper. It's happened with both a Denon AVR-3808CI and a Denon AVR-4311CI and I only hear it with audio coming from the Dish box so it's nothing else in the signal chain causing the issue. I suspect it's an artifact of overcompressed audio that manifests itself as cracking when high-volume signals clip.

Did you ever get any resolution to this issue?

Last edited:
M

munsel6

Jan 17, 2004
s/w AZ.
No, I did try a 922 receiver for a few days and had the same sound issues with that unit as well. In one conversation I had with Dish tech support I was told it was a known incompatibility with HBO/MAX and that a future software update would fix it. This conversation took place back in June.