HBO/MAX Audio

munsel6

Original poster
Jan 17, 2004
s/w AZ.
Has anyone else noticed a static sound coming from some loud passages on HBO/MAX? Have heard this on star trek generations when ship crashes to earth and on original x files movie at the beginning with the torch in the cave and then when helicopter comes. I have these two movies on regular dvd with no distortion coming through. I have a 722 dvr hooked up with both hdmi and optical and distortion happens with both. I have heard this distortion on other hbo/max movies which I don't remember what they were at the moment. I have not heard this distortion on any other channels. Yes I have audio set up of 722 set to line with leveling set to off.

Just watched Generations not too long ago connected to 5.1 dolby receiver via spid and didn't notice any distortion.That was with a 612 though.

I noticed a static-electric pop like sound on a couple of movies I recorded during the last free-view.

KAB, That sounds like what I am hearing, I have reported this to DISH Tech support a couple of times. Glad to know its not my imagination, but would still like to know if its a HBO/MAX or DISH issue.

I'll have to check out another movie or 2.It could be a 722 issue.

I hear this all the time during loud passages on my Hopper. It's happened with both a Denon AVR-3808CI and a Denon AVR-4311CI and I only hear it with audio coming from the Dish box so it's nothing else in the signal chain causing the issue. I suspect it's an artifact of overcompressed audio that manifests itself as cracking when high-volume signals clip.

Did you ever get any resolution to this issue?

Last edited:
No, I did try a 922 receiver for a few days and had the same sound issues with that unit as well. In one conversation I had with Dish tech support I was told it was a known incompatibility with HBO/MAX and that a future software update would fix it. This conversation took place back in June.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts