HBO Max - WarnerMedia Announces Upcoming Streaming Service

Regular HBO ( Traditional Version- Cable/Sat. ) will still have the no new movie problem since all of these will only be on HBOMAX.
That's one of the goals of this move: to get people out of the linear vanilla HBO mindset and into the full slate of HBO Max app-based offerings, which in most cases they are paying for and receive anyway. For all its failings, AT&T knows better than anyone the days of linear TV are numbered in terms of growth, especially as more and more Millenials and Gen Z-ers who have never subscribed to cable TV come of age. To increase their foothold in the market and properly compete with Netflix and Hulu at the $15/mo price level, they need to bring all current customers into the HBO Max fold so they see it as their new Netflix rather than that extra pay-TV channel they may drop the next time their cable TV package prices go up.

Reactions: NashGuy
That's one of the goals of this move: to get people out of the linear vanilla HBO mindset and into the full slate of HBO Max app-based offerings, which in most cases they are paying for and receive anyway. For all its failings, AT&T knows better than anyone the days of linear TV are numbered in terms of growth, especially as more and more Millenials and Gen Z-ers who have never subscribed to cable TV come of age. To increase their foothold in the market and properly compete with Netflix and Hulu at the $15/mo price level, they need to bring all current customers into the HBO Max fold so they see it as their new Netflix rather than that extra pay-TV channel they may drop the next time their cable TV package prices go up.
Yep, I believe AT&T is dreaming of the day they no longer have to share revenue with providers.

Sent from my LML713DL using the SatelliteGuys app!

WarnerMedia has been having problems growing its streaming service as fast as competitors like Disney. Part of that is that HBO Max is not available on Roku (something the team is working on), but part of it is a lack of event-type films to bring people in. By moving titles to HBO Max at the same time they’re in theaters, WarnerMedia gives current subscribers a reason to stay, and it’s hoping large swaths of new customers will sign up and keep paying $15 a month.

No doubt if HBO Max was making more money they would not be offering first run movies. I also think this is a ploy to get Roku to strike a deal.
I think they want Roku to strike a deal but this is like blood in the water to Roku, this is a survival move for MGM and HBOMax and no reason for Roku to cave in at this point. They have about 43M viewers that HBOMax needs.

They (Hulu) have about 43M viewers that HBOMax needs.
So the millions of subscribers that Amazon Appstore, Apple, Google Play, Samsung TV, WarnerMedia, Consolidated Communications, Liberty, North State, Optimum, Service Electric Cablevision and Verizon Fios provides are not enough? Almost every Cordcutter has either Amazon, Apple or Google devices so has access to HBOMax.

So the millions of subscribers that Amazon Appstore, Apple, Google Play, Samsung TV, WarnerMedia, Consolidated Communications, Liberty, North State, Optimum, Service Electric Cablevision and Verizon Fios provides are not enough? Almost every Cordcutter has either Amazon, Apple or Google devices so has access to HBOMax.
No, they are clearly not enough based on their subscriber numbers and the actions they are having to take to survive. They need Roku more than Roku needs them at this point.

I do believe this is a prelude to a deal coming soon but much friendlier and closer to the terms Roku wanted pre-launch.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
No, they are clearly not enough based on their subscriber numbers and the actions they are having to take to survive. They need Roku more than Roku needs them at this point.

I do believe this is a prelude to a deal coming soon but much friendlier and closer to the terms Roku wanted pre-launch.
Then why did Roku add Airplay functionality that allows people to watch HBOMax on their Roku Devices? They get zero revenue by allowing that versus whatever their cut would be if they caved like Amazon did.

Then why did Roku add Airplay functionality that allows people to watch HBOMax on their Roku Devices? They get zero revenue by allowing that versus whatever their cut would be if they caved like Amazon did.
Because it cost Roku nothing to do it and they gave nothing to HBOMax in terms of additional subscribers. If you want to believe HBOMax is in a position of power so be it but actual financial analysts agree this is a sign of HBOMax's weak position in this standoff.

Clearly? By who's opinion? Yours? Every HBO subscriber had access to HBOMax, every Fire stick, AppleTV and Google TV owner had access. Roku is the only one that fits not have it. IMHO Roku will lose users because of it. Will they settle? Of course at some point but we will never know who gave in to what under what terms. We'll never know who, if either one, came out on top.

Because it cost Roku nothing to do it and they gave nothing to HBOMax in terms of additional subscribers. If you want to believe HBOMax is in a position of power so be it but actual financial analysts agree this is a sign of HBOMax's weak position in this standoff.
I'm not an actual financial analyst, but I am married to one. FWIW, we both agree that Roku ruined their brand when they went from focusing on being a technology company to being an advertising company.

I suspect you are correct that Roku has the upper hand in the negotiations with AT&T over HBOMax, which is why I found it odd that they softened their position by providing HBOMax subscribers a way to watch content on Roku devices without a deal in place.

So the movie theaters and actor / agents are upset. Doesn't matter that for decades viewers wanted home access to first run movies when they were released and not have to wait months to see them. Times are a-changin', theaters are now going to have to work to earn customers, not being able to charge a captive audience $15+ a seat. Maybe actors will have to settle for less than $10 Mil up front for a film. I sure feel sorry for them. Cable TV is now just learning to adjust to the new reality, time for theaters to do wake up and do the same.

HBO Max now has 12.6 million “activated subscribers,” up from 8.6 million at the end of Q3, according to AT&T CEO John Stankey who spoke at the UBS Global TMT Virtual Conference today.

Stankey also discussed the decision to bring Warner Bros’ entire 2021 slate of movies straight to streaming on HBO Max. When the announcement was made this week, the streaming service called it a “unique, consumer-focused distribution model in which Warner Bros. will continue to exhibit the films theatrically worldwide, while adding an exclusive one month access period on the HBO Max streaming platform in the U.S. concurrent with the film’s domestic release.”

During today’s event, Stankey called it a “win-win-win” and said it would give customers more options.

So the movie theaters and actor / agents are upset. Doesn't matter that for decades viewers wanted home access to first run movies when they were released and not have to wait months to see them. Times are a-changin', theaters are now going to have to work to earn customers, not being able to charge a captive audience $15+ a seat. Maybe actors will have to settle for less than $10 Mil up front for a film. I sure feel sorry for them. Cable TV is now just learning to adjust to the new reality, time for theaters to do wake up and do the same.
The other side is that the big blockbusters make money for the other films. Going streaming will cut into those revenues. So you might not see the big blockbuster anymore if they can't recoup the budget.

Clearly? By who's opinion? Yours? Every HBO subscriber had access to HBOMax, every Fire stick, AppleTV and Google TV owner had access. Roku is the only one that fits not have it. IMHO Roku will lose users because of it. Will they settle? Of course at some point but we will never know who gave in to what under what terms. We'll never know who, if either one, came out on top.

Yup. Roku is quickly getting into a dangerous position with regard to HBO Max. A few weeks ago, both Roku and Amazon Fire TV were holding out, meaning that a significant majority of connected TVs in the US had no way to access the app. At that point, there was arguably more pressure on HBO Max than on either Roku or Amazon.

But then Amazon caved and the app got added to Fire TV (which has close to as many users as Roku). And now Comcast is on the verge of adding the HBO Max app to their X1 cable boxes and Flex streaming boxes. (Keep in mind that a large majority of folks who are already eligible to use HBO Max are paying for it via a cable TV package and Comcast is the largest cable TV operator in the US.) The HBO Max icon has already begun appearing on X1 boxes and the company says the actual app will arrive "soon". I'd be shocked if it's not rolled out by Christmas Day in time for Wonder Woman 1984.

On top of that, I think a decent number of cord-cutter HBO subscribers this fall have switched over to Android TV or Apple TV devices, particularly the new Chromecast with Google TV dongle. There's going to be quite a few of those under the tree this Christmas as it's only $50, supports 4K, Dolby Vision and Atmos, has Google Assistant, and offers apps for both HBO Max and Peacock (the latter of which Fire TV still lacks).

I really thought it would be the other way around in terms of who caved first. I thought Roku would make the deal this fall while Amazon held out longer. Because Amazon has about 5 million HBO subs as add-ons inside their Prime Video app, and they're giving that all up. Those folks will have to re-subscribe directly via HBO Max.

Meanwhile, I don't think Roku has ever had anything like that level of success with add-on subscriptions inside their Roku Channel app. But that's the reason they won't agree to host the HBO Max app. They want to sell HBO Max subscriptions via Roku Channel while HBO Max insists on their service being exclusive to their own app.

I liked the Shield a lot. I also like my Apple TV 4k a lot. If. AppleTV+ was available on the Shield, it would be a no-brainer.

Apple has already released an Android TV version of their Apple TV app to Sony to directly put on certain models of their smart TVs. So Apple has done the work of creating the app and will have to maintain it.

Given how controlling Apple tends to be, and how fractured the Android TV world is, I don't know if we'll ever see them put the app on the Play Store for all Android TV devices to install. But I think there's a decent chance that we see them strike deals with additional device OEMs to directly place the app there. The new Chromecast with Google TV seems likely to me. (Just this week, Apple Music was finally placed in the Google Home app and Google Assistant smart speakers.) Maybe they'll do so with the Shield TV too, although maybe not since it competes at the high end with the Apple TV 4K.

Reactions: ncted
Once available, Roku users will be able to simply install the HBO Max channel on their devices, just like any other streaming application. Customers who already have the HBO app installed will be automatically updated to the HBO Max app, too. HBO Max on Roku will also work with Roku Pay, meaning that you’ll be able to subscribe for the service directly through a Roku account.

I liked the Shield a lot. I also like my Apple TV 4k a lot. If. AppleTV+ was available on the Shield, it would be a no-brainer.
I just read that Apple TV+ is coming to the chrome cast with google tv early next year. One could think that other android tv devices won’t be far behind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts