HBO On Demand via Dish Anywhere?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TalonDancer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
We recently watched HBO’s Big Little Lies series via HBO On Demand (Channel 300). It worked great, despite our very slow internet connection (2Mbit down). We let each episode download to the Hopper 3 HD before we began watching (e.g. we downloaded 2-3 episodes overnight, then watched them the next evening).

Is there anyway to do this via Dish Anywhere?

FWIW we don’t want to watch the program via Dish Anywhere. We just want to select the program/episode and get it downloading, so that we can watch it later on the Hopper 3.

I have never seen the option to download an episode using Dish Anywhere. On demand is available, but the only selection that you can choose, is to watch it.

Thanks Tony, for confirming that this isn’t a “personal problem” :)

It seems odd that selecting channel 300 on the Hopper and Dish Anywhere (web version) produces such different results. With Dish Anywhere, I get the ability to watch some random (?) HBO content. But with the Hopper, I get to scan though available On Demand programs, select a program and optionally “watch it later", which downloads it to the Hooper HD.

BTW Dish Anywhere doesn't even show the HBO On Demand programs that have already been downloaded to the Hopper HD. So Dish Anywhere is NOT a very good way to manage HBO On Demand content -- Bummer.

You could just use your Dish username and password to watch them through HBO Go, either on a computer or a Roku, Amazon Fire, cell phone etc
Thanks. We used HBO Go to catch up on Game of Thrones before the last season. It worked OK, but with a lot of buffering.

We live in an internet 3rd world county (AKA Rural America). Our WISP download bandwidth is only 2 Mbits/sec (i.e. 256KB/sec) at best: e.g. overnight, in the morning and some weekday afternoons. By prime time, the available bandwidth has usually dropped to nearly non-existent for streamng. The buffering is terrible. So we try to download any streaming content when we do have bandwidth and watch it later in the evening.

For us, HBO’s On Demand ability to download content onto our Hopper 3 is great. I’m downloading this evening’s movie right now! The bandwidth is maxed out at 256KB/sec. I just hope it gets downloaded before the kids in our WISP area get home from school :)

I was just hopping to be able to control HBO’s On Demand service via Dish Anywhere.

Thanks. We used HBO Go to catch up on Game of Thrones before the last season. It worked OK, but with a lot of buffering.

We live in an internet 3rd world county (AKA Rural America). Our WISP download bandwidth is only 2 Mbits/sec (i.e. 256KB/sec) at best: e.g. overnight, in the morning and some weekday afternoons. By prime time, the available bandwidth has usually dropped to nearly non-existent for streamng. The buffering is terrible. So we try to download any streaming content when we do have bandwidth and watch it later in the evening.

For us, HBO’s On Demand ability to download content onto our Hopper 3 is great. I’m downloading this evening’s movie right now! The bandwidth is maxed out at 256KB/sec. I just hope it gets downloaded before the kids in our WISP area get home from school :)

I was just hopping to be able to control HBO’s On Demand service via Dish Anywhere.

Who is your internet provider? If you have a Verizon or Tmobile cell tower nearby, there might be options for higher speed. Let me know if you would like suggestions or help. I'm kind of an expert on rural internet (out of necessity).

Reactions: charlesrshell
Who is your internet provider? If you have a Verizon or Tmobile cell tower nearby, there might be options for higher speed. Let me know if you would like suggestions or help. I'm kind of an expert on rural internet (out of necessity).
Thanks again.

We live roughly 40 miles from Austin which is criss-crossed by both Goggle and AT&T fiber. But we live at the bottom of a narrow, 250' deep valley. So we can't get OTA without a huge mast. And only have the ISP options of:
* Satellite - with serious caps (not to mention the inherent latency) Been there, done that.
* Cellular - via AT&T (no signal on Verizon or T-Mobile in our house) with some form of cap even on "unlimited" plans.
* Texas Wireless WISP - with no cap, but frequently overloaded “towers” during prime time.

Our Texas Wireless service is 2Mbps down / 400Kbps up. They offer up to 6Mbps BUT… we tried it and the usable bandwidth during prime time is about the same as we get. So we opted to stick with a lower 2Mbps bandwidth and use the savings to increase our AT&T data package. We need the AT&T data package (6GB) because Texas Wireless is also very unreliable. Last weekend it was down for 2 days :(

When Texas Wireless is down, we switch our Airport Extreme’s WAN input to an LTE modem (with an AT&T SIM — $10/month). This means we don’t have to make any changes to our home network configuration.

We use roughly 150GB/month. If you have any ideas to improve our internet, I’d love to hear them.

Unfortunately, in your situation, it sounds like you’ve got the best you can get at the moment
Thanks anyway!

BTW I was recently thinking of putting a solar powered WIFI repeater on the top of the 250’ high hill that separates us from the coverage area of a different WISP. Until some folks on the other side of the hill were complaining about how unreliable that WISP was. And asked if they should switch to our WISP!!!!

Around these parts... If it weren’t for bad WISPs, we wouldn’t have no WISPs at all.

40 miles out of Austin, and in a valley? Must be east of Austin...?
Austin is bisected by I-35, which in central Texas runs along the balconies escarpment. The escarpment defines the boundary between the gently rolling Black Land Prairie (to the east) and the Texas Hill Country with deep valleys (to the west). We live on a creek in one of those valleys with beautiful scenery and lousy TV/internet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts