HD-A1 Audio Problem - 2.1 not 5.1

duckydan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Hello sorry to post another question that is probably due to my incompetence but I'm having a problem with my HD-A1. I just upgraded my receiver to a Sony DG-710 and the HD-A1 will only output at 2.1 PCM48 via HDMI. My Sony BDP-S300 is outputting in DD5.1 via HDMI. I tried swapping cables to see if that would fix the problem (leaving the cables in the same locations) only to have the same result. I am using firmware 2.3 and when I try to do the sound test from the HD-A1, when it gets to the surrounds the sound comes out of the front speakers. Is there a setting I am missing on the A1 that may have been changed? I have tried Auto, Bitstream, and PCM from the HDMI Audio menu all to no avail. Is there any way to fix this?

Edit - my VIP622 is outputting my locals (OTA) in 5.1 but my regular SD channels (I currently don't subscribe to the HD pack) are also in 2.1 PL and not DD.

Hello sorry to post another question that is probably due to my incompetence but I'm having a problem with my HD-A1. I just upgraded my receiver to a Sony DG-710 and the HD-A1 will only output at 2.1 PCM48 via HDMI. My Sony BDP-S300 is outputting in DD5.1 via HDMI. I tried swapping cables to see if that would fix the problem (leaving the cables in the same locations) only to have the same result. I am using firmware 2.3 and when I try to do the sound test from the HD-A1, when it gets to the surrounds the sound comes out of the front speakers. Is there a setting I am missing on the A1 that may have been changed? I have tried Auto, Bitstream, and PCM from the HDMI Audio menu all to no avail. Is there any way to fix this?

Edit - my VIP622 is outputting my locals (OTA) in 5.1 but my regular SD channels (I currently don't subscribe to the HD pack) are also in 2.1 PL and not DD.

Ducky - No, your post is not because of your incompetence - it is the result of Sony's incompetence, stupidity and misinformation. I owned a DG-710 - for one day before I took it back to Best Buy in indignation. Although advertised and promoted as an HDMI multi-channel receiver "optimized for Blu-ray" it is in fact a "dummy downed" HDMI receiver limited to standard DVD digital optical / coax standards. That means yes, you will get 5.1 DD from your BDP-S300 - because it is only 640kbps. Try selecting a PCM audio track on a Blu-ray disc. You will only get 2.1 because PCM is 4-6mbps. And that is why you are only getting 2.1 from your A1 - all HD DVD players decode the HD DVDs audio internally and output it as PCM regardless of whether you select PCM or Bitstream, so the DG-710 dummies it down to only 2.1. (The Bitstream settings in the A1 are for standard DVD's)

What I find unforgivable is that this is not documented anywhere in the DG-710's manual or specs. I was having the same problem you were with my HD-XA1 and scratching my head. Fortunately, for Blu-ray I have a PS3 and the PS3 has an auto-detect feature for audio & video, and when I ran it, it confirmed that DG-710 was capable of 5.1 for Dolby Digital & DTS, but only 2 channels for PCM and TrueHD. Then I double-checked the AVSForum. The DG-710 is purposely limited to only 2 channel audio for high def audio - you need to buy the more expensive 810 or 910 models to get true multi-channel HDMI audio. Or, do what I did - take the 710 back and buy an Onkyo 605 receiver. I was replacing a 6 year old Sony receiver I had been very pleased with, but is the last Sony receiver I will ever purchase. :mad:

Well I took half of your advice and took back the 710. While I do like the Onkyo605 a lot it is about 100 more than I have/am willing to spend for a receiver right now. I was able to get the 810 for about $75 more than the 710 and am going to try that out. I was very turned off by sony's response time (it has been 29 days since I first noticed the problem but thought it was me... only rushed heavily in 24 hours as CC has a 30 day return policy and I wanted to meet that) and their answer today that it must be my HD-A1... when I said my 360 had the same problem they really were stumped. Hopefully the 810 works to my specs today or else it will be another quick trip to CC for a refund.

Well immediately after hooking it up the HD-A1 worked with 5.1 audio and the satellite channels sound a lot better (most of the sound was coming through the subwoofer.... there definately was a problem) Only thing I cannot get to run properly is the HD-A1's sound test (which tests the channels it is sending audio to.) The Surrounds still come out of the fronts but on the receiver it is coming up PCM96 with 5.1 audio so I am happy with that. Let's give this one a 30 day test and see what, if any, problems I can find. (I read about a 1080p flaw with HDMI but right now my tv's max resolution is 1080i so when that day comes... 3-4 years from now I'll worry about it) Anyway Hot Fuzz never sounded so good :)

Well immediately after hooking it up the HD-A1 worked with 5.1 audio and the satellite channels sound a lot better (most of the sound was coming through the subwoofer.... there definately was a problem) Only thing I cannot get to run properly is the HD-A1's sound test (which tests the channels it is sending audio to.) The Surrounds still come out of the fronts but on the receiver it is coming up PCM96 with 5.1 audio so I am happy with that. Let's give this one a 30 day test and see what, if any, problems I can find. (I read about a 1080p flaw with HDMI but right now my tv's max resolution is 1080i so when that day comes... 3-4 years from now I'll worry about it) Anyway Hot Fuzz never sounded so good :)

Great, glad to hear it. :)

I think the A1's test tones only work on the analog output. Does the S300 have audio tests? If you have surrounds coming out the front, it sounds like you may speaker cables crossed. A copy of DVE (Digital Video Essentials) HD DVD is a good investment - it has audio test tones in addition to video test patterns.

Great, glad to hear it. :)

I think the A1's test tones only work on the analog output. Does the S300 have audio tests? If you have surrounds coming out the front, it sounds like you may speaker cables crossed. A copy of DVE (Digital Video Essentials) HD DVD is a good investment - it has audio test tones in addition to video test patterns.

I am buying a copy of DVE as soon as I can but I used the built in sony test on sony BDs and it worked fine. Same with a THX test on the Monster's Inc SD-DVD so I think it is just the A1s test pattern. DVE is definately needed as my tv is calibrated by my eyes and the sony patterns which don't give much info on what is needed.

similar problem with the BDP-S300

It appears I have the identical 2.1 output issue on my newly purchased BDP-S300, running through an older Sony STR-DE997 receiver.

Can I get a simple, if not elegant fix by outputting the audio via the analog outputs of the S300 into the analog inputs of the receiver?

If that would work, then that's a decent stopgap for now.

It appears I have the identical 2.1 output issue on my newly purchased BDP-S300, running through an older Sony STR-DE997 receiver.

Can I get a simple, if not elegant fix by outputting the audio via the analog outputs of the S300 into the analog inputs of the receiver?

If that would work, then that's a decent stopgap for now.

Yes. I assume you're using digital optical / coax now? It's limited to only 2.1 for PCM because of bandwidth limitations. Good plain old analog cables from the S300 to your receiver work fine - you'll be in multi-channel high def audio bliss. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)