HD Broadcast Deadline

gator6

Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
I was hoping to get the CBS-HD feed from 61.5 because my local CBS does not broadcast in HD yet. I called dish to check eligibility and they said I would need a "High Definition Waiver from my cbs station." I called CBS and they said there is no such thing as a high def waiver and i cant get a waiver because i receive their analog signal. But they said "Good news, we are being mandated to carry the signal by this summer." They said either June 1st or July 1st was when they were mandated to broadcast hd but i cant remember which date.

1st question, does anyone know if it is June 1st or July 1st?
2nd question, is this true or are they just brushing me off?

I appreciate the input,
gator6

The "big four" networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX) in the top 100 DMA's are required to go to full authorized power on their DTV signal by July 1st of 2005. Notice I said "DTV," and not "HDTV." There is NO requirement for ANY station to broadcast in HDTV, ever. That being said, they would be pretty stupid not to at this point.

Brad

Bradtothebone said:
The "big four" networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX) in the top 100 DMA's are required to go to full authorized power on their DTV signal by July 1st of 2005. Notice I said "DTV," and not "HDTV." There is NO requirement for ANY station to broadcast in HDTV, ever. That being said, they would be pretty stupid not to at this point.

Brad
That's good to know because three of those networks are still at low power in my area. All they (local networks) would say is sometime this summer. CBS in Rochester NY is not HD and probably won't be until 2006. When I get my new antenna system I hope to get HD in Buffalo for CBS and UPN.

gredneck said:
I take "full authorized power" means you still might not receive the station signal!

In most cases, "full authorized power" is supposed to replicate the analog coverage area for the station, or be very close to it. In other words, if you can get a snowy image on the analog channel, you will probably be able to get a viewable digital signal (maybe with some dropouts). If you get a GOOD analog signal (even if "ghosty"), you should get a good digital signal, also. Your mileage may vary, of course, but the intent of the transition is to basically replicate coverage everywhere with digital.

If you currently receive your analog stations via repeaters or "translators," it may be awhile before you get a digital signal, as the rules for these are still being worked out, as I understand it.

Brad

Bradtothebone said:

Brad

Stupid nicely sums up the locals in my area that don't offer or plan to offer HD anytime soon.
I only get PBS and CBS in HD the rest are DTV.

Frank Solich said:
Stupid nicely sums up the locals in my area that don't offer or plan to offer HD anytime soon.
I only get PBS and CBS in HD the rest are DTV.

Do you live in southern Oregon? I ask because those are the two we get also...

Clarification on the power issue. They are required to transmit their DTV signal to at least that of their analog signal. This may not result in "full power" but should provide a better chance at getting it when you are located several miles away as I am.

Our CBS affiliate's analog signal is pretty crappy with lots of snow, but, their digital signal (including HD) comes in great even though it is low power right now.

July 1st is the mandate but they could do it sooner if they want. Our ABC and NBC affilates are dragging their feet. CBS and Fox seem to be the front runners in our area.

Keep in mind, too, that the July 1, 2005 deadline only affects the top 100 DMA's. The smaller markets have until July 1, 2006 to go full-power.

Brad

When does the new law kick in allowing DBS to provide a National HD feed to those w/o full power OTA?

Maybe that'll provide some motivation for those dragging thier feet (Denver).

new_to_hdtv said:
short of calling each of my local stations, is there anyway to find out what power they're currently broadcasting at?

This is a great site that should help you a lot. You have to know (at least close) your latitude and longitude.

Have fun. :)

Brad

Ok, I got my info, but what is considered low power? Is there a chart showing what wattage output corresponds to distance of reception? I realize factors such as terrain and will affect things.

I just checked and WFAA here in the DFW area is only broadcasting their DT channel at 18.6kW, while their analog channel is broadcasting at 316kW. Im assuming that 18.6kW isnt considered "full power", so hopefully the dropouts will stop soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)