HD cables questions

gary s

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 9, 2003
Southern Cal
We are upgrading to a 622 for single mode use on a smaller 20" LCD TV/monitor.

I have seen several mentions of monoprice.com (THANKS!) on the forum and I will be ordering both HDMI and component cables from them. I have some questions about the cables.

They seem to have very good prices today, I don't know if they might change, so I want to order today or I would wait and call them tomorrow.

On the HDMI to HDMI cables, they would be male to male, wouldn't they?

It says some have "net jacket". What is that and would they work for the 622 to HDTV.

On the component cables, they have 3-RCA and 5-RCA. What is the difference. I can see on the pictures that there is a different number of connectors but what are the extra two on the 5-RCA for?

What is AWG? It looks like the lower the number the more expensive they are.

For the minimal price difference I figure I will go with the most expensive 6' length cables. I also figure I should be able to use the 3-RCA component being as there isn't any dolby digital sound connected to the TV (not actually knowing what the difference is between the 3 and the 5). Even going with the most expensive it should be about $40 for both the HDMI and component cables.

gary s said:
We are upgrading to a 622 for single mode use on a smaller 20" LCD TV/monitor.

I have seen several mentions of monoprice.com (THANKS!) on the forum and I will be ordering both HDMI and component cables from them. I have some questions about the cables.

They seem to have very good prices today, I don't know if they might change, so I want to order today or I would wait and call them tomorrow.

On the HDMI to HDMI cables, they would be male to male, wouldn't they?

It says some have "net jacket". What is that and would they work for the 622 to HDTV.

On the component cables, they have 3-RCA and 5-RCA. What is the difference. I can see on the pictures that there is a different number of connectors but what are the extra two on the 5-RCA for?

What is AWG? It looks like the lower the number the more expensive they are.

For the minimal price difference I figure I will go with the most expensive 6' length cables. I also figure I should be able to use the 3-RCA component being as there isn't any dolby digital sound connected to the TV (not actually knowing what the difference is between the 3 and the 5). Even going with the most expensive it should be about $40 for both the HDMI and component cables.

You don't need the more expensive HDMI cable, I got the 6 footer that is about $16 or $17 now, it is smaller AWG (wire thickness) but very heavy duty cable sheath, with HDMI on short runs it doesn't matter what awg you have, they either pass the signal or they don't. The 5 wire Component is for hooking up audio as well as video, if you have an A/V unit you should buy proper digital audio cables, either Toslink or coax , I beleive the 622 uses the coax digital. This is the cable I have
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...cs_id=1024002&p_id=2219&seq=1&format=2&style=

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

I am planning on getting the same hdmi cable you got. It is the most expensive 6' hdmi I see on their website, as are the component cables.

Here is my order for planned checkout:

2219 HDMI to HDMI Cable (24AWG) w/ net jacket- 6ft (Gold Plated) (N) $17.93

2769 PREMIUM 6FT 3-RCA Component Video Coaxial RG-6 18AWG 75Ohm $12.54
SubTotal
$30.47
7.75% CA Sales Tax
$2.36
Shipping: California Overnight for CA, NV, AZ[$7.50]
S&H Cost
$7.50

$40.33 Grand Total

RandallA said:
The 5 RCA component cable includes 3 for video and 2 for audio. I suggest you get the 5 RCA component so don't have to run a separate cable for the audio. Item #2773.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...cs_id=1023501&p_id=2773&seq=1&format=2&style=

I was thinking component cables had one video and two audio connections like composite. I have a dvd/surround sound (5.1 DD) system hooked up to my SD tv with component cables. I was thinking I had both video and sound with the 3 component cables but with more thought about it I have the component cables hooked from the dvd to tv and optical cable from my 721 to the surround sound which I use full time for sound (both satellite tv and dvd). And now I recall I hooked up composite audio cables from the 721 to the tv if necessary.

Thanks for reply and the heads up. For, apparently, less than a dollar more for the 5-RCA over the 3-RCA it will be well worth getting the 5. But are the component audio connections any different than composite audio connections?

I forgot to mention my 721 is hooked up to my tv with S-video. On re-reading my last post it sounded like I was magically getting tv signals through my dvd/surround sound system to my tv.

GARY Get the 5 rca the 3 rca componet are just for video. Hdmi supports both audio and Video plus get if you dont already have digital audio cable such as coax.

I have not ordered the cables yet.

I just talked to the company who will be doing the 622 install and the guy said it comes with very good component cables, something about for PVR I think, and he said I should not hook up the HDMI at this time. He said because there is a problem with the _software_ & HDMI. He also said the component video would be as good as HDMI. From reading these forums it seems that may or may not be true.

So, I guess we will be trying out the component cables they bring first and see if we get a great picture but will have nothing to compare it too without the HDMI. So won't really know if we could have a better picture.

We will wait a while to see if they get the HDMI problem fixed.

So, don't need any cables at this time (almost want to buy some just because they seem like such a good price) but can't beat free cables.

Sorry if this has turned out to be an unnecessary post but THANKS A LOT for the replies.

gary s said:
I have not ordered the cables yet.

I just talked to the company who will be doing the 622 install and the guy said it comes with very good component cables, something about for PVR I think, and he said I should not hook up the HDMI at this time. He said because there is a problem with the _software_ & HDMI. He also said the component video would be as good as HDMI. From reading these forums it seems that may or may not be true.

The 622 does NOT come (from the factory) with component video cables. The installer may or may not provide these for you, but if he does that's the exception rather than the rule. The cable that does come with the 622 is a standard composite video/ l-r audio cable (yellow, red, white). The red and white audio cables should not be used for video. (Component video separates the video into three "components," Y, Pb, and Pr, signified by green, blue, and red cables respectively.)

The HDMI issue is mostly a HARDWARE issue, rather than a software one. The HDMI connector on the 622 (and 211) is very delicate - the soldered connections are subject to failure if they are heated and/or flexed. This is a well-documented (many threads here and elsewhere) problem. Many people have had HDMI failures, but mine has worked fine from day one. The only software-related issues are with (I believe) Vizio displays, and maybe some Sonys.

As to which looks better on YOUR TV, only you can judge. If you have a "digital" display (flat panel plasma or LCD, or DLP/LCD projector), I'd try HDMI first. If your display is CRT direct view or projection, I'd try component first, personally.

Brad

gary s - Don't buy the "software" crap !! There are indeed problems with the HDMI connections on 211, 411, and 622 receivers. (Quite a few posts about this in several threads - just search it.) While it is indeed possible that SW is an issue in some cases, the preponderence of posters with this problem have hardware issues. The rather delicate HDMI socket connections on the PCB are breaking for several possible reasons - too much stress on the plug, thermal cycling, etc. - and causing the HDMI output to go dead. E* admitted to this fact in their most recent Technical Chat. They are blaming the socket design. While the whole HDMI design is "delicate", in reality I think it's more a misapplication of that design in the E* receivers. (The same socket type apparently does not present the same level of problems in other types of equipment or we would be hearing about them as well.)

Component connections will also give you HD. Which is better? There is a lot of discussion on that as well and it seems to be very subjective. But you should make the determination, not your installer! Connect both component and HDMI and judge for yourself. When you do insert that HDMI plug, do so gently, don't wiggle it back and forth, and don't let the weight of the cable be supported by just the plug. If you take those precautions you shouldn't have any problems with HDMI, and you may find that in your setup you actually prefer it...!

Last edited:
I have read of the HDMI problems being hardware related and I said that to the guy, although I just mentioned that they were breaking, and he repeated a couple of times it was software related. I didn't really believe it but I thought since there are the problems I would just try the component connection. If I do use the HDMI at some time, what is the recommended way of supporting the weight of the cable? Also, I have read I think, that if the HDMI does happen to go out the component source or connection will still work. Is that correct? If so maybe I will go ahead and connect both.

I asked the guy if there would be 3 or 5 connectors on the "component" cables and he said 5. So hopefully he knows what he is talking about in that case.

Bradtothebone said:
If you have a "digital" display (flat panel plasma or LCD, or DLP/LCD projector), I'd try HDMI first. If your display is CRT direct view or projection, I'd try component first, personally.

Brad

I forgot to mention in my last post, the tv/monitor is an HD flat panel LCD. It is a cheapy I guess, Sceptre brand. The size I got, 20.1", is only available online, I believe, not in any regular store. So, I could not even see it before I bought it. I got it from Costco.com so I am relying on their liberal, I hear, return policy.

Missing Recording from 622

help finding the 118 satellite

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)