HD channel drop outs!

mark40511

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 2, 2006
Lexington KY
Its a sunny breezy hot day here in Lexington KY. I have Dish 2 rooms (622's). Both will give me drop outs on occasion, especially on the HD channels. Right now, I'm watching MGM and I'm getting a drop out about every 20 sec's. I've checked cables in back on both tv's, did hard reboots. Dish has been out twice; the first didn't really do anything. He just checked the cables in the back and did a check switch and reboot. The 2nd tech was here longer. I showed him something I had recorded on DVR to prove it was dropping out because it would not do it while he was here (of course). He mentioned something was unusually low! He changed the lnb and came back inside. He said, hmmm still low. He waited around to see if it would happen again and it didn't (of course). As far as my Dish itself, signal really has never been an issue for the almost 4 yrs I have had Dish (no trees blocking and I'm on a small hill) until I upgraded to HD back in January of this year, I started noticing on BOTH tv's this happening on occasion. I do know I have seen it on ONE SD channel "CHILLER" my roommate said he saw it happen on another SD channel. It is so sporadic, but mostly its on HD. Forgive my lack of knowledge. Any suggestions and did I leave any vital info out?

If both receivers are suffering the same problems at the same time, it must be something that they share. That would be the dish and/or the LNB assembly (bad power may be a remote possibility).

Does this happen only in warm weather?

Does it happen only during the day?

Have you tried disconnecting one of the receivers from the satellite cable and observed the other?

Thinking, I don't think I have ever noticed it a night. But again, it is so sporadic. I will not notice it for days at a time. So I should disconnect one receiver and check for dropouts? I will do that now. Will watch and see.

both receivers software version L449RBGB-N
both boot strap version 1711RBGB

When one receiver isn't active, I'm still getting occasional, and I do mean occasional drop outs. You can literally watch for over an hour and nothing happens. Then it will do it for a few then back to normal.

you know I am having the same problem with mine. .. I pur on dvr a show that was 2 hours long. . and when I went to watch it there was 5 total shows. . . 1 for 20 min. . .1 for 10 min. . 1 for 25 min . . . and up to 2 hours. . so it was dropping out ....I have to call tonight. . it's been an issue only with my 722 receiver!

Just out of curiosity does it do it during the night as well, note that and make sure you tell the tech. Because if it only does it when it heats up, it sounds like the stinger on the cable isn't getting good contact with the ground block and it needs to be fixed. Or your Dish wasn't properly set or is out of alignment. That seems to happen alot in Oklahoma too, where the Wild Wind Blows. :D

I am almost positive I have never seen it at night, we had a NASTY T storm and lost signal during that the other morning during the storm as usual during heavy weather, but as soon as the storm was over back to normal. Today it is 92 degrees and very windy, no clouds. When the last tech was out, wouldn't he have checked the alignment? If I have to call Dish again to come out, UGH... What a pain. both techs gave me their cards and told me to call them if I had any more probs. Should I call Dish or the individual techs?

Mine do it as well about every 10-20 minutes. On my 622 running 449, and my 612 running 474 software, And to tell you the truth I've never noticed it at night either.

. Because if it only does it when it heats up, it sounds like the stinger on the cable isn't getting good contact with the ground block and it needs to be fixed. :D
I guess D* uses better Cable too then, Since I've never had this issue with their Equipment in 5 years. Droppouts on E* seem to be WAY too common. Alot of threads about reception on E* satellites.

when your shows are dropping out it goes to the acquiring sat signal screen. When that shows up it should reflect the satellite and transponder that you are currently on. Note that satellite and transponder.

Now re run a check switch. At the point dish screen, select that satellite and transponder that is giving you trouble and see exactly what the signal strength. I am willing to bet your drop outs are caused largely by low signal strength.

Your dish may need to be re peaked - or maybe there is something in the way? It's possible that your dish is slightly bent (have run into this multiple times), or that from your location you don't get that sat very well.

Do you have satellite 129 or 61.5?

It really sounds like your dish alignment needs to be tweaked. What are your satellites and signal strengths?

Regards, Eric

129?

All my signals are fine,and my receiver change channels without any delay. My guess Its the E* satellites.

Is it only on 129 sat? That is the weak bird. If it is occurring every 20 mins that is when the sat is doing it turn. Which sounds like the dish was peaked to the sat at the opposite end of the sat turn. It is best to peak 129 when it is near the middle of the travel. That way it only varies a small amount from the top to the bottom of the figure 8.

When I see pixelation and drop outs mine never gets bad enough to go to the "acquiring satellite signal" screen. It is just so intermittent. For me, this just started in jan when I got the 622's and upgraded to HD. I never noticed it the 3.5 yrs before that. I dunno. It may actually be my dish needs re aligned but why wasn't this done on the other service calls prior, I assumed the tech knew what he was doing based on the problems I told him I was having. Neither of the techs re aligned the Dish outside, I'm guessing they didn't think it needed it. I dread another service call, just dread it

I guess D* uses better Cable too then, Since I've never had this issue with their Equipment in 5 years. Droppouts on E* seem to be WAY too common. Alot of threads about reception on E* satellites.

Depends where you get your cable from and what you use. You're supposed to use RG6 on all the equipment but most people think, hey why can't we use RG59 it's cheaper. The RG59 doesn't have the capacity to hold the voltage and everything that the RG6 does. We only use RG6 on our installs, and we peak our dishes to the max. I believe we have only had one realignment and that was due to the wind. We usually get our customers' satellite signal in the 120's on the 119,110 but for some reason it seems ultimately difficult to get above an 80 on the 129 with a Dish 1000.2 But anyways, it really depends on your installer, and if it is an independent retailer doing it, because Corporate should have checked the signal strength and then repointed as necessary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)