HD - Dish or Directv ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ride525

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
SF Bay Area, California
A couple of months ago I bought a Samsung DLP HDTV. I have Dish and would like to get satellite HD and OTA HD. Here are the advantages I see for Dish and for Directv, I would appreciate any of your thoughts:

Dish
1. The newly announced HD package costs $1 less than Directv.
2. I am already an Dish subscriber, and maybe just slightly prefer Dish programming.
3. Some consider Dish SD programs slightly better quality than Directv.

Directv
1. I can get HD now. HD receivers are available now, and have at least many bugs worked out. (the 811 Dish receiver is unknown quanity)
2. Several manufacturers make Directv receivers, there is a choice.
3. Cost to convert, and time to convert is known.
4. Directv receivers get OTA HD without signal.

I would appreciate any of your thoughts on this.

Jeff

As you say the 811 is a huge question mark. If Dish has gotten serious about quality it's going to be a great receiver. If not, the headache will continue. Remember you'll need the superdish to get the most out of Dish HD so if the size of the dish matters, you might not want to go the Dish route.

I used to have a Sony HD receiver, but broke it (its not idiot proof) and ended up buying a Samsung HD receiver. I personally think Samsung makes the best DirecTV receivers lately so if you want to go the DirecTV route, you could get the same receiver as your TV (just in case you are Anal ;)).

I persnally think the question mark about the 921 is going to be a bigger deal than the question mark abou the 811. There is really nothing wrong with the 6000 and from what I've read about the 811 its not going to be too different.

As your sig says, "I want my HD now" and if now means today, you'll need to jump to DirecTV. Otherwise, just site tight and see what happens with the 811.

I do not think you can go wrong with either at this point. Each one has its positives and negatives. The only thing that you missed was the E* will have capacity up to 50 HD channels after November of 2003 while D* has not announced such capacity for HD channels. Also, there has been a lot of comments about D* compressing the HD channels like HBO and HDnet.

James,

The Samsung DirecTV HD receiver you have, does it still process the OTA local signals if you lose your satellite signal or disconnect he receiver from the satellite?

Anonymous said:
James,

The Samsung DirecTV HD receiver you have, does it still process the OTA local signals if you lose your satellite signal or disconnect he receiver from the satellite?
All of the DTV HD receivers allow you to pull in OTA independently of either signal or subscription.

Andy

I switched from E* to D* about 6 weeks ago because I was tired of waiting for E* to come out with info re their HD package and equipment and football season was coming up and I wanted to watch football in HD

I've been happy with the switch. Picture quality is about the same in SD. My Sony HD receiver pulls in OTA HD signals great and also does a very good job on satellite HD. I also have two Hughes SD receivers and I am very pleased with them.

Both D* & E* are good companies. I do feel that E* made a big mistake in "overpromising" re their HD channel availability and their HD equipment availability (811 & 921).

I am also a little skeptical (given their past track record) about the ability of E* to produce some "bug free" software for their new units. I also feel that E* tends to take their loyal, old time customers forgranted and in today's marketplace, that's not a good idea.

Just my thoughts for whatever they are worth.

tds4182 said:
I also feel that E* tends to take their loyal, old time customers forgranted and in today's marketplace, that's not a good idea.

Just my thoughts for whatever they are worth.

The feeling is mutual and I was about to make the switch before E* announced the HD package. Hopefully, E* will change their strategy in the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)