HD-DVR Competition Heating Up

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

supp

Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
I just read some interesting articles about the new Sony PSX.

It's a Sony PS2 game player, a DVD player and a 24X DVD burner, an HD-DVR recorder (although I get the feeling it is a single tuner). It's available only in Japan, but is priced very aggressively $725 for 160Gb, $906 250Gb. At 24X speeds, it will burn an hour of video in just a few minutes...amazing. To heck with DVHS!

Follow the links in the article referenced here for pictures and more details.

http://games.slashdot.org/games/03/...p;tid=137&tid=186&tid=188&tid=212

TiVo is struggling, ReplayTV is gone, but now the big guys are entering the market. If I were Dish I would be very worried.

So does the 921 still have the same appeal? Hmmm

Hate to ruin your day, but it is a standard def recorder only. There is no HD capabillities in the PSX.

The articles do explicitly say that the unit is an HDD recorder.

Here's a quote from this article: http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6076490.html

The PSX contains all the functionality seen in top-end HDD-DVD drive models, including a tuner with ghost reduction capabilities, the ability to receive broadcast satellite signals, and the TiVo-like ability to play back footage while recording. Recording can take place while a game is being played as well--including games that use the hard drive.

supp said:
The articles do explicitly say that the unit is an HDD recorder.

Here's a quote from this article: http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6076490.html

The PSX contains all the functionality seen in top-end HDD-DVD drive models, including a tuner with ghost reduction capabilities, the ability to receive broadcast satellite signals, and the TiVo-like ability to play back footage while recording. Recording can take place while a game is being played as well--including games that use the hard drive.

I see HDD, not HD in your quote. I believe that HDD is Hard Disk Drive, aka it has a PVR/Tivo type function, it's not HD.

rad said:
...I see HDD, not HD in your quote. I believe that HDD is Hard Disk Drive, aka it has a PVR/Tivo type function, it's not HD...

this is EXACTLY the case.
If it were an HD recorder it's likely they would tout it as HDTV

That is correct...HDD does indeed mean Hard Disc Drive. I have one made by Panasonic. HDD is a universal term now in all DVD recorders that also have a harddrive built in. HDD is simply a new abbreviation for a format similar to VHS or DVD.

Even if it had an HD tuner it would not do any good for those that want HD from satellite because you would have to have the HD tuner within the satellite receiver anyways (unless you wanted OTA HD programming).

Is there going to be an extra fee for the Tivo like DVR functionality (monthly or lifetime fee) or does this price include that type of functionality?

What DVR features will this include and what will it be able to do and not to do that the other DVR players?

Will it still be able to record HD programming even though it has no HD tuner?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)