HD DVR MPEG4 / Slim Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
when I read the manual it said they should be installed.
They didnt make it sound like an option.

agsbill said:
Eric, you say that the AT9 dish should have 2 support arms.

Are you aware that the dish does not come with these supports? My dish is mounted on a pole and is very stable.

Where do you get the support arms?

Bill

Bill

My installer had them on his truck. No idea were to get them retail.

Eric Goempel said:
when I read the manual it said they should be installed.
They didnt make it sound like an option.

It didn't install 2 support arms. Jesus, You just love to sprout wrong information.

charper1 said:
I thought the extra arms were just that, extra, and based on install needs: mounting method and locale.

Charper you are correct, the extra support braces are there to support the base when mounting on Walls or roofs. It's optional item that comes in either short or long .

Eric Goempel said:
Ray

Get that AT-9 OFF your house!!!! Sorry dragon and charper!!

The AT-9 should have 2 support arms. If the AT-9 is installed correctly it does not move at all.

The arm on the slimline looks thinner and so does the base. Also in my case size of the dish means ZERO so the bigger the better, less chance of rain fade etc.

The smaller the reflector the less signal to work with. Don't attack me for this, it is just my experience.
Eric, I'm in the Balt DMA so the AT9 should be rolling out her soon, but I won't be switching till the HR20 is available. I have the 3lnb dish now. I'm in a 3rd fl apt and have very understanding managment here. There are dishes all over the place, and with my tree issue it has to be at the peak of the roof on the facia board. No troubles with wind and we've had some bad ones here lately. Thats why I'm hoping the HDDVR AND the SlimLine dish release at the same time or close to each other anyway. From what I've seen and where my dish is now the support arms should be suffecent to stabilize the SlimLine. Seems it might be the lesser of the 2 evils.---Ray

Eric Goempel said:
The smaller the reflector the less signal to work with. Don't attack me for this, it is just my experience.

It not technically the "size" of the dish, but its reflective surface area that achieves its particular gain rating. Those are the two spec I would like to see. It really looks like the "slim" might have slightly more, total surface area.

I thought that new dish looked aweful familiar and it looking like a DirecWay dish sure explains it.

raymo721 said:
Eric, I'm in the Balt DMA so the AT9 should be rolling out her soon, but I won't be switching till the HR20 is available. I have the 3lnb dish now. I'm in a 3rd fl apt and have very understanding managment here. There are dishes all over the place, and with my tree issue it has to be at the peak of the roof on the facia board. No troubles with wind and we've had some bad ones here lately. Thats why I'm hoping the HDDVR AND the SlimLine dish release at the same time or close to each other anyway. From what I've seen and where my dish is now the support arms should be suffecent to stabilize the SlimLine. Seems it might be the lesser of the 2 evils.---Ray

The AT9 has been out in Bmore since Feb 16.

Btw you guys really do have bad winds. 50mph wind gust aren't a joke.

support arms

I just had my At9 and got a h20 on friday and the installer here in OK did a awsome job on mine he put the 2 support arms and he said I might want to leave the old dish up but he said that I did not need the multi switch that it would not work with the mpeg 4 anyway??? but he left it here with me..but it is solid as a rock up there and here in ok we have wind not breezes....lol.... but so far so good so we shall see..just cant wait for HD lil but we are not even on the next list even thoguht I think we are 42 or 43???? but maybe next quarter........

grydlok said:
The AT9 has been out in Bmore since Feb 16.

Btw you guys really do have bad winds. 50mph wind gust aren't a joke.
Tell me about it. Saw an 18 wheeler get blown over on the Tydings bridge a few month ago. I'm right next to a branch of the Patuxent river with a good stand of trees about 50yds wide so that breaks the wind from one side. Like I said, I'll have to wait for the HR20 to do the switch. Hope the new dish is out by then so I can get both at the same time.---Ray

raymo721 said:
Tell me about it. Saw an 18 wheeler get blown over on the Tydings bridge a few month ago. I'm right next to a branch of the Patuxent river with a good stand of trees about 50yds wide so that breaks the wind from one side. Like I said, I'll have to wait for the HR20 to do the switch. Hope the new dish is out by then so I can get both at the same time.---Ray

I was in Dundalk one day. The winds where gusting to 60mph. It was hard to stay on 695.

Anyone know when the new dish will be out? I had an installer over today. He said the AT-9 could not be mounted on my house, and can't use a pole mount because of line of sight. HD locals are supposed to be up in April in my area, but I won't be able to get it until a new dish comes out.

One could also use a NPR mount. No holes or mounting to the home structure by allowing a "pole" mount at or above the roof line as opposed to in the yard. I mean there are so many ways to get the job done correctly. You almost have to live inside a TUBE to not have some LOS. I have installed at least 50 or more DBS PhaseIII dishes (I am not an installer) that were in damn near forests, and found a legit and clean install method. Can you post some photos of your area's LOS issues please?

http://www.skyvision.com/store/mi6012005.html

http://www.sepatriot.com/nprm.htm

Last edited:
I have a 2-story stucco house with concrete tile roof. Installer said they cannot install on stucco or on tile roof. They can only put it on the wood on the edge of the roof, where my current dish is. There is a 2-story house behind me and large trees which block line of sight if it is closer to the ground. Are there any installers who would mount it on the roof for me somehow? Would I have to pay more? Directv was going to do it for free.

I have already seen a few of these in the PHX, SoCal and FL areas where stucco and tile are the norm on about 80%+ of homes. That particular installer must not hanumbers of homes.

Crystal Pepsi Ball said:
Can you put the dish on a tripod or clamp it to a balcony?
A few months back someone posted a link to a site that sold a mount that bolted to a balcony or deck railing but I didn't save it. Help anyone?? It looked really functional.---Ray

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)