HD DVR question about recording.

nightwingken

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
PA
Hi, hope everyone is doing well, I hope I am putting this in the right forum.

I currently have a 625MPG2 DP Plus SD DVR reciever, I am thinking about upgrading so i can have a HD DVR reciever and it will broadcast SD to the bedroom.

I have a digital DVD stand alone recorder which records straight to a disc. it occured to me that when i hook it up to the HD , that I may not be able to record to the stand alone recorder, will it be able to record the HD signal.

I of course would plan on play back being on my HD tv.

so i guys the question is if someone had a recorder will it (or a vcr) work on a HD DVR reciever?

Thanks in advance

Yes, you can use your DVD recorder, but it will record SD, not HD. If you do upgrade, you would want have the VIP622 or 722 that have S-vid output. The latest receiver, the 722K, does not.

so how do i record HD?

so basically if i get a VIP622 or 722 i cant record anything of hd programing , or are you saying even if it is broadcast it will still only record sd?

The 622 or 722 will record HD programming in HD on its internal hard drive. Your DVD recorder will only record in SD format. So, if you want to transfer your HD recordings from the Dish receiver to your DVD recorder you will only be able to get an SD recording on the DVD.

PC

Your DVR recorder is SD , So why would you think it would record HD programs in HD?
Blu Ray is currently the only HD DVD on the market, and I'm not sure if they make a Blu Ray recorder.

The only BR disc recorders out here in the states are for PC's. So if one wants to record to a BR it would take the Black Magic Design card or Hauppauge card going to the PC then send component to said PC from the DVR. There are BR recorders in Japan and we may see them in the future but they are "VERY" pricey and so it will be very expensive to own and use one.

The important question is how the DVD recorder treats wide screen content and that varies from recorder to recorder.

great question, I dont mind the SD recording at all, but i would want it in widescreen if it is in that aspect ratio

I think that the bigger question is whether or not the DVD recorder will play the widescreen image without windowboxing it.

You should be able to record while the DVR plays back in the "Normal" mode. The DVD should record it as SD, but with black bands at the top and bottom of the screen. Now, here is the trick: on playback, most HDTV's can stretch or zoom the picture such that in one of the modes the screen will fill your screen with video looking like a proper aspect ratio, no distorted "Strech-o-vison." However, it will still be in SD, but it will look pretty good because your source was an HD channel. You will need to experiment with the DVR and your DVD recorder and HDTV with this. You should find a good solution. That's how I have my HD to SD DVD recordings and they look pretty good and properly displayed.

Most DVD+/-R record S-video at best and more without that. There are some that record component. (Watch out, they may be YCrCb and not YPrPb.) My list of these is too old and while it is not likely I will use anything other that HDDs for recording, I would like a newer list. Anyone? My list vintage 2007, which point to this. Expect to only see 480i component, maybe p, never HDMI with HDCP.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)