HD DVR upgrade - install questions

JCarais

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 19, 2009
Earth
Hi,

I'm going to be upgrading my 522 receiver to an HD DVR. I got some conflicting info from Dish customer service and I was hoping someone here could clear it up for me.

When I initially called to get the upgrade, the guy said that an installer would have to come out to A. Install a different dish, and B. Change the cables from the dish because "the HD requires thicker cables." OK, fine by me.

A few days later I learned I would not be able to keep the install appointment so I called to reschedule. The girl rescheduled me and then through some conversation she ended up completely contradicting the first guy. I was told that I would not need a new dish (she had me go into the system info screen and said I would get my HD from 61.5 - which I guess I already can see). And she sounded confident that the thicker cables thing made no sense and that the installer would not need to change any cables. OK, fine by me.

But if that's the case, why even send out an installer? Why not just ship it like they do with replacements for defective receivers? What, if anything, is the installer going to do - other than hooking up the receiver, which I can do myself (and would prefer to do myself).

Also, I believe I'm entitled to a 622 receiver, but I've read many posts that say people often get a 722 instead. Is there anything I can do to make that more likely? Thanks a lot!

Paying the higher fee for the upgrade will insure you get a 722.

Hi and thanks. Could you tell me what the fee is please? I'm not paying anything for the upgrade and I wasn't offered a different/better model for more money so I really don't know much about it. In fact, I wasn't told I'm gettinig a 622, that's just what I gathered from reading information online.

In this case, you want the installation. The installer will bring whatever receiver he has on hand. Since the 622's have been out of production, it is more than likely you will get a 722 or even a 722K. Twice, I have upgraded for 622's (at the 622 price) and have gotten a 722 because that's all the installer had. If you were SENT a receiver, then yes, it would probably be a refurbished 622. So, it's the luck of the draw and I would say the odds are in your favor.

Just to toss a thought in here.....even though you have a 61.5 and that WILL get you the national HD ch, you might need the 129 for your hd locals. You might want to check to see which sat your locals are on.

Thank you for the replies. You both make excellent points!

dishstaller, regarding the locals, I went to the Dish Channel Chart at:

EKB: Dish Network Channel Chart (Unofficial)

And when I found my (HD) locals, they were listed on both 61.5 and 129. What does that mean for my situation? If you want to see for yourself, you can go to the site and search for "6312" (that will bring up my first HD local - WLS).

I currently get 119, 110, and 61.5 but not 129. Thanks so much for your help!

And when I found my (HD) locals, they were listed on both 61.5 and 129. What does that mean for my situation?
It means you could have them install a 1000.2 Dish to get 110/119/129 and could lose the 61.5 dish as long as you have LOS to 129 (lowest to the horizon).

One dish instead of two? That sounds kind of appealing.

In your experience would the installer come in and do this on his own, or is it something I'd have to ask for? I imagine if he gets paid by the job instead of by the hour that he'd much rather just hook up the receiver and not have to get out the ladder and whatnot.

Thank you.

One dish instead of two? That sounds kind of appealing.

In your experience would the installer come in and do this on his own, or is it something I'd have to ask for? I imagine if he gets paid by the job instead of by the hour that he'd much rather just hook up the receiver and not have to get out the ladder and whatnot.

Thank you.
Just call Dish and tell them that's what you would like, so to get rid of the extra Dish. IF they say there would be an extra charge, then leave it alone. I doubt they will.

In this case, you want the installation. The installer will bring whatever receiver he has on hand. Since the 622's have been out of production, it is more than likely you will get a 722 or even a 722K. Twice, I have upgraded for 622's (at the 622 price) and have gotten a 722 because that's all the installer had. If you were SENT a receiver, then yes, it would probably be a refurbished 622. So, it's the luck of the draw and I would say the odds are in your favor.

I've mentioned this before in other threads but not too long ago Dish cracked the whip on techs for installing a 722 when a 622 was called for. I don't know about everywhere but for my area we have plenty of 622s.

Regarding the cables, I just had a 612 installed to replace a 508 and the installer needed to run new cable b/c I had old RG59 cable instead of RG6. The issue, he said, didn't have anything to do with the fact that I was going from SD to HD, but that I was going from one tuner to two and that I needed at least RG6 cable.

I don't believe that's quite right. Two tuners has nothing to do with it as long as you had two cables.

What is really going on (probably) is that you got a different or new dish and new DishPro or DishPro Plus LNBs to go along with the new dish, so that you could recieve HD channels from a 3rd satellite location. These are bandstacked LNBs. That means both polarizations are simultaneously present on the cable "stacked" on top in a higher frequency band. The higher frequency requires better cable.

That makes sense. I already had two dishes but the installer did upgrade me to a DishPro Plus so maybe that was the reason he needed to upgrade the cables as well.

That makes sense. I already had two dishes but the installer did upgrade me to a DishPro Plus so maybe that was the reason he needed to upgrade the cables as well.
Yup. RG6 was actually spec'd on the legacy LNBs as well. But you could sometimes get by on shorter runs with good-quality RG-59.

If you would like a 722K, insist on having picture in picture. I'm not positive, but I don't think the 622 is capable of pip.
Yes, it most definitely does, as well as 722 in single mode. You are thinking of 612.

What is the major difference in the 722 and the 622? I'm upgrading to DVR next month and want:

Duo receiver (HD for TV1, SD for TV2)
OTA tuner for TV1
Remote Access
Access to 1080p DOD.

Do both provide this? Is the picture quality the same?

What is the major difference in the 722 and the 622? I'm upgrading to DVR next month and want:

Duo receiver (HD for TV1, SD for TV2)
OTA tuner for TV1
Remote Access
Access to 1080p DOD.

Do both provide this? Is the picture quality the same?

Like others said, 722 has a larger hard drive and is black. If you go that route, make sure you get a 722 and not a 722K. The difference is that the OTA tuner is optional for the 722K for $30 extra. (But then you actually get two OTA tuners so you could record four things at once, if desired.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts