HD Enabling Fee--what do you get for it?

HBO yes , National Geo. no

I'm lost. They told me I would get any HD feeds if I have a sub to that ch. I have the Top 250 that includes Nat-G. so why won't I get the HD feed? I don't like any of the so called HD pkg. for $20/mo. :confused:

You are paying for the HBO package which includes all channels including the hd feed. National geographic is in the top 250 so you get the regular sd feed. You have to pay the hd package fee if you want the hd feed for hd channels that correspond to channels in your regular programming package.

The enabling fee only gets you use of the over the air tuner and your rsn if you have access to your rsn as the rsn is considered a local addition. I really wish Dish would just make a 10 dollar fee to receive the hd versions of channels you subscribe to and make a separate package for all the hd standalone channels and make voom separate also.

I really wish Dish would just make a 10 dollar fee to receive the hd versions of channels you subscribe to and make a separate package for all the hd standalone channels and make voom separate also.

My Dad has an old grandfathered "Select Choice" package with DIRECTV. He upgraded to an HD receiver and their "HD Access" which is $9.99/mo. About three quarters of his select choice package channels and locals are now mirrored in HD with more HD on the way.

Yes and Directv is getting ready to start charging a separate fee for the standalone hd channels. I don't care for the Directv equipment anymore. I used to like the Hughes and Sony model receivers, but the new receivers i just don't like, and I can wait for Dish to add more for the moment.

You are paying for the HBO package which includes all channels including the hd feed. National geographic is in the top 250 so you get the regular sd feed. You have to pay the hd package fee if you want the hd feed for hd channels that correspond to channels in your regular programming package.

The enabling fee only gets you use of the over the air tuner and your rsn if you have access to your rsn as the rsn is considered a local addition. I really wish Dish would just make a 10 dollar fee to receive the hd versions of channels you subscribe to and make a separate package for all the hd standalone channels and make voom separate also.

So, after next month when my free 6 month promo on the HD pkg. is up if I drop it I will only get HBO's HD feed. I wouldn't mind the $20 if there were good chs. to watch, but they misled me in the beginning about the HD pkg.

As I have an 18 mo. lease I guess I'm stuck. I hate to pay that money for crap chs. :(

I hate to pay that money for crap chs. :(
It's not the $20 for the HD package that bothers me, it's the cost of the base package I have to pay for to get the right to pay $20 for HD. The only way I can get NatGeoHD is to pay for 250 SD channels I don't want to watch.

I'm with you on $20 being to much for a channel that is hitting your dish whether you sub to HD or not.

I'm waiting for cable on my street, then so long Dish.

Later
JimC

The enabling fee only gets you use of the over the air tuner and your rsn if you have access to your rsn as the rsn is considered a local addition.
I guess the $6 enables the ATSC tuner, but I'm unable to receive any OTA digital channels, so its a waste of money; but if it included a NTSC tuner, I would be barely able to pick up a couple of stations I don't watch.

However, for the $6 (HD Disabling Fee :D), I do get 4 Denver Local Digital TV channels, an HD Test channel, and sometimes Altitude HD & Fox Rocky Mountain HD; and I guess I could purchase a PPV HD. But you know, they don't really look any better than SD on my 9" B&W :), and I don't watch the few sports games that are on.
I really wish Dish would just make a 10 dollar fee to receive the hd versions of channels you subscribe to and make a separate package for all the hd standalone channels and make voom separate also.
So you think they should raise my $6 HD Disabling Fee to $10 ! :) However, I do agree with you that they should have more choices; as well as eliminate some of the Owned Equipment Fees:
$6 for OTA Digital Tuner Use
$5.98 for DVR Use

If you play with an unactivated 622 it says 622-SD under the info screen and you can't not tune OTA or Dish HD channels, trying either gives a message that you need to have HD enabled.

D* doesnt pay a higher fee, but they do charge you to get a HD/DVR. I am not talking a few bucks either. E*'s are free, but then you have to have the HD package at $20, or the $6 to recieve the locals and any other Premium HD channels you pay for. As far as them moving NatGeo down to a smaller tier, doubt it. Alot of people like NatGeo and it is a way for them to get you to a higher package. If it was only junk in the top 250 no one would subscribe to it. Maybe they will suprise ya, but I would hold my breath.

D* doesnt pay a higher fee, but they do charge you to get a HD/DVR. I am not talking a few bucks either. E*'s are free, but then you have to have the HD package at $20, or the $6 to recieve the locals and any other Premium HD channels you pay for.
In some(and most cases) yes, they charge you for the HD-DVR. However many people, myself included didnt pay a dime for it.
That being said, lond term costs are still lower after you make up the difference in the price you pay up front for the HR-20.

And id still love to see that proof tcdreamangel06.

Hi Hemi 6.1!

I was just reading some threads and noticed a post from you. I noted that you have D HR20 and E vip 622. We have been with D using Tivo for about 10 years. Have been reluctant to give up Tivo but want HD. I'm real concerned about all the problems I have heard about the HR20 but I like D programming better. Sounds like the vip 722 had some cool functions. Just can't decide whether to go with Dish or stay with DTV. I can get Dish equip for free but will have to pay for HR20. What do you think of the quality of the DVRs? Any difference in the quality of the signal between D & E?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts