HD-LITE is not that BAD?

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
Question for anyone with a HDTV. Would you rather watch your HDTV in SD or HD-LITE? It is really a simple question. One or the other and full HD may not enter into the conversation as the question is between SD and HD-LITE! I already know that everyone would prefer full HD but that is not the question. SD or HD-LITE? Your comments please.:devil:

Hard to believe that anyone would prefer SD especially on todays larger sets and screens. That being said I find HD-lite to be acceptable for now as long it is not a permanent solution.

JoeSp said:
Question for anyone with a HDTV. Would you rather watch your HDTV in SD or HD-LITE? It is really a simple question. One or the other and full HD may not enter into the conversation as the question is between SD and HD-LITE! I already know that everyone would prefer full HD but that is not the question. SD or HD-LITE? Your comments please.:devil:
Yes, I would prefer HD-Lite to SD.
I would also prefer SD to black-and-white TV.
I would prefer black-and-white TV to no TV at all.

But what's your point? :)

This topic is like pulling off a band-aid off a really bad wound. I was enjoying the HDLite furver going quiet for a bit. Topics like this just opens bad wounds and gives the bitchers more places to bitch. Sorry JoeSP.

JoeSp said:

This is a hard one to answer. I have a 32"HDTV and many of the SD stations I watch are every bit as sharp looking as the HD-Lite.

Dirtydan said:
This is a hard one to answer. I have a 32"HDTV and many of the SD stations I watch are every bit as sharp looking as the HD-Lite.

Try it on a 50" or larger... I'm with Ilya

I find HD-lite to be vastly better than SD. It isn't a close call. At least to the level of SD that is provided by E* and D*.

Remember that DVD is SD. So if the comparison is top notch DVD quality vs HD-lite, then it is much closer. Although I would still favor HD-lite.

My objection is to companies marketing HD-lite as HD without any qualification. If they want to sell channels as being near-HD or Super ED, then fine. Just don't entice me into ordering a T-Bone steak dinner and then serve me chuck steak.

Bottom line, if you try to make me order a whole dish where the main course is crow and only the dessert is truly equisite I'll take NONE of it for the time being. In other words I'd take SD for the time being. I don't like being told to eat sh*t with my dessert.

JoeSp said:

BRAVO! Exactly the point I've been trying to make. All this crap about it being "unwatchable." Am I supposed to believe that these people never watched TV until a few years ago?

I watch TV for the content. Once the HD novelty wore off (about 2 weeks), I stopped watching most of the HD channels except the movie channels, Rave, and Discovery. (Then a week later, I had seen everything good on Rave and stopped watching that.)

Now that we know that MPEG-4 isn't ready for use, the puzzle pieces are in place...this is likely a temporary solution. The new birds aren't up, the new encoders aren't in place, ect.

Fact is, Voom channels look better than any SD channel, and WAY better than LIL channels. If they had compelling content, I'd be watching. (Actually, I am still watching the movie channels.)

Ilya said:
But what's your point? :)

And of course, DBS has always delivered SD at the highest quality resolution. :rolleyes:

I went into HD-DBS a few months back fully expecting an overcompressed picture. "HD-Lite" has been a pleasant surprise. It's all in the point of view.

Ilya said:
I agree completely

Tom Bombadil said:
Remember that DVD is SD.
Err.. no. You're equating 480i to 480p. Please don't.

Don't get me wrong, I'll probably be getting these "HD-Lite" channels myself, soon, and I'll enjoy them. If I pay for HD I expect 1920x1080i. Even if my set needs to be calibrated so I probably can't tell the difference right now anyway :p
On a side note, I just read something that said the ATSC considers 1280x720p HDTV. What if they went that way instead?

You guys are comparing apples to oranges...there is no way you can compare sd and hdtv.....they are two completely diffrent things.. watchable pitcture quality vs the best quality picture out today.. If im going to get hd lite... give it to me in the best quality... Known as TRUE HD in 1920 x 1080I format.. with mpg4 there should be no reason not to be able to do that.. even with the current mpg2 set up. it could easly be done :)

JoeSp said:

Wow this one takes the cake as far as ridiculous comments go. So lets spend thousands of dollars on a HDTV, pay more for HD programming and be thrilled that its somewhat better than SD but not utilizing HD for what it was meant for.

Hey JoeSp, would you rather me cut off your pinky finger or your whole hand?

I can answer this easily. Before I bought my DLP, I had a large Screen Sony XBR. Fantastic Picture. I would take that SD picture over the HDLITE on my Sammy. You have to take into account the type of TV. Everyone knows that SD on a HD set looks like crap. So your question can't be based on using the same set. If I had known that HDLITE would be the new "Industry Standard" (according to Scott's CES sources), I would have stayed with my XBR. But I have seen Full HD both in the production Studio and in at home. Mark Cuban's point is a good one. True HD as it was shot has never been seen int he home because of compression of anytype. This is true. But the full 1920 X 1080I...even on on a 720P set is still outstanding. But I wouldn't throw money down the drain to watch what we call HDLITE. My XBR looked so much better.

P.S. the line about expecting and paying for T-Bone and being served a chuck is a very good comparison. How easy it is to make many of you guys throw your money for less quality. I also have some swap land in Florida I can sell too.

Last edited:
What's my point? I have read in many posts that when a provider is not going to bring the full HD signal to the end user those really unhappy folks screem bloody murder and swear they are going to drop their service and use someone elses.

My point is that the complaint to service providers is moot about HD-LITE. All service providers are doing it because of limited bandwith. It is my understanding that with E* ESPN2 and UniversalHD will be in full resolution but the VOOM Channels will not because of an uplink problem that will hopefully be resolved by the end of the year.

My point is that both E* and D* are trying desperately to bring new HD services to their customers with limited bandwith and a new MPEG4 product that is not ready for primetime. The only way they can deliver those new HD channels both Nationals and HD-LIL right now is HD-LITE.

My point is that HD-LITE is vastly superior to SD and much perferable to HDTV owners. We want as much HD product as we can get.

My point is that I am paying for a superior picture and sound and while HD-LITE does not provide what the FCC calls a true HD signal it is far superior to the SD crap that I have been watching over the last 5 years.

My point is that until the resources are in place to provide true HD from E* and D* that HD-LITE is better than nothing.

My point is that complaints should be aimed at the FCC! They set the rules and they are the ones that will inforce the rules. Of course that might mean a reduction of the number of HD channels everyone gets. But I am sure that would greatly soothe the individuals who would rather rag the system the grab the dog by the tail.

I will except HD-LITE for now. However, when the new sats are up and the new links for VOOM to the uplink center are in then I will expect my HD in full rez. Untill then, bring on as much HD-LITE as possible. When all the pieces to the puzzle are in place then I will start complaing -- to the FCC!!

Last edited: