HD locals in all markets?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Katz

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
I know D* is rolling out HD locals in lots of markets, I am however in a very small market at the end of the list, (Salisbury, MD) and am not currently offered locals. Will D* be offering the HD locals to all markets, or just the same ones that get them now?
I don't want to get my hopes up for nothing.

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. If you don't even have SD locals, chances are you won't get HD for a long time.

I know D* is rolling out HD locals in lots of markets, I am however in a very small market at the end of the list, (Salisbury, MD) and am not currently offered locals. Will D* be offering the HD locals to all markets, or just the same ones that get them now?
I don't want to get my hopes up for nothing.

Huh? I thought Salisbury has either D.C. or Baltimore locals?

Yup not carried, All you have to do is change your address to either a Baltimore or D.C. address and you would get the locals in HD. Just get you Dish and HD receivers 1st.

Salisbury is its own market. It has a CBS affiliate and an ABC affiliate, along with a Maryland Public Television repeater.

DirecTV, during an analysts call about three months ago, stated they'd add another 30 markets in standard definition. Only one has been announced, and that is Laredo. It appears there is room on the spot-beam which carries the Corpus Christi and Harlingen/Weslaco/Brownsville locals.

Now, with the delay of the launch of approximately 18 markets in HD from the end of last year, coupled with the delay of the DirecTV 11 launch, it appears that plans may be pushed back a little bit. I am assuming there is a technical issue as to why markets such as Norfolk and Harrisburg have not yet received their local channels in HD, but who knows?

I have a feeling DirecTV may offer the Salisbury market by the end of the year in standard definition, then will offer the HD locals at a later date, if digital must-carry is not implemented by Congress. If it is implemented by Congress and the President, all bets are off...

There plan has been to carry all HD in all markets that have HD. But I wouldnt' expect the smaller ones until after D11 goes up so you are probably looking at 2008.

I wish that the FCC and Congress would relax the rules that restrict consumers from purchasing local programming from other metro areas. I have moved to a small market (#108). SD channels are available here, but HD locals are not on the horizon to my knowledge. Waivers are not likely to be granted. Thus, we are stuck. I would love to be able to subscribe to Atlanta to get their HD locals.

I am glad that I am able to get out-of-market newspapers (paid and free) via the internet. I hope that Congress never restricts me to the local paper. I wish that TV was similarly open.

I wish that the FCC and Congress would relax the rules that restrict consumers from purchasing local programming from other metro areas.

Amen to that !!!

What ever happen to the Significantly Viewed Channels they were talking about offering ?

It would be really cool if they allowed you to get any of the SV channels that showed up in your spot beam !!!!

Jimbo

unc8185 said:
I am glad that I am able to get out-of-market newspapers (paid and free) via the internet. I hope that Congress never restricts me to the local paper. I wish that TV was similarly open.
You've struck a nerve...

There isn't any law that forbids Dish Network or DirecTV from providing you the Atlanta local channels. However, these steps need to occur, in order:

1) The local channel in question must contact all copyright holders on the programming they broadcast, and get a contract to clear the copyright into any and all areas. This means for the Atlanta CBS station, they'd need to clear any and all network programming by contacting CBS and getting the appropriate clearances. (Hint: CBS of course has affiliate agreements that forbid the resale and redistribution of programming, so this step will never be complete because CBS will never agree to it)

2) The station must then sign an agreement with DirecTV and Dish Network, and determine the appropriate coverage area. (Can you imagine setting up 1500 different local channel coverage areas?)

Or you can simply use the copyright exception contained in the laws to have a channel carried only in its market (which is how Atlanta subscribers currently receive Atlanta locals).

The reason you cannot subscribe to Atlanta locals while in another market is because the networks want it that way.

You've struck a nerve...

There isn't any law that forbids Dish Network or DirecTV from providing you the Atlanta local channels. However, these steps need to occur, in order:

1) The local channel in question must contact all copyright holders on the programming they broadcast, and get a contract to clear the copyright into any and all areas. This means for the Atlanta CBS station, they'd need to clear any and all network programming by contacting CBS and getting the appropriate clearances. (Hint: CBS of course has affiliate agreements that forbid the resale and redistribution of programming, so this step will never be complete because CBS will never agree to it)

2) The station must then sign an agreement with DirecTV and Dish Network, and determine the appropriate coverage area. (Can you imagine setting up 1500 different local channel coverage areas?)

Or you can simply use the copyright exception contained in the laws to have a channel carried only in its market (which is how Atlanta subscribers currently receive Atlanta locals).

The reason you cannot subscribe to Atlanta locals while in another market is because the networks want it that way.

# 1. won't happen, but if it did,
# 2. would be rather simple, it's already done, they could open up to only the cities in your designated
spot beam, that part is already in place.

Jimbo

The other option is to make the national HD programming available throughout the country to all subscribers. Waivers would not be required. I also think that the pressure on the local affiliates with such a system might cause them to increase their quality and programming choices on their subchannels. With such a system, it wouldn't matter if I were living in the #9 DMA or the #108 DMA.

In many ways I wish that DirecTV had gone that way instead of local-in-local. Think of all of the bandwidth that would be available for other HD programming.

The other option is to make the national HD programming available throughout the country to all subscribers. Waivers would not be required. I also think that the pressure on the local affiliates with such a system might cause them to increase their quality and programming choices on their subchannels. With such a system, it wouldn't matter if I were living in the #9 DMA or the #108 DMA.

In many ways I wish that DirecTV had gone that way instead of local-in-local. Think of all of the bandwidth that would be available for other HD programming.

unc8185;823353,

Yes, but you missed the point.
D* went for the locals because they felt people were not choosing them over cable because cable could give people thier locals.
I agree with this as well,
Right now, I woke up to snow covered and lots of ice this morning on the roads around town.
NOWHERE on D* would I find local weather and road conditions without D* local channels .... (I am speaking in general terms as I prsonally don't use D* for my locals) But I do understand thier push.

I just wish there was a way to get the Weather Channel locals on D*.
That was the first thing my mother said when they changed.

Jimbo

If am am reading what you are saying correctly; DirecTV and Dish are not able to decide to provide customers either national or LIL affiliates, by law they can only provide one or the other. They can decide what LIL market they want to add and when, but they can't just give away national networks as opposed to LIL. They did however, based on customer polls & surveys, decided to use their remaining pre-launch bandwidth to push LIL over the few national HD channels available, because that is what the vast majority of subs & likely new subs demanded.

MPEG 4- Local Markets

Hey charper I know this is a little off topic here, but was wondering from reading a previous post from you concerning this.How does one check to see if your local DMA is MPEG 4 yet or not ?? Do you run a zip code check via some web site or what??? Once again I apologize for thread bumping but was curious as I read this local HD thread.

Hey charper I know this is a little off topic here, but was wondering from reading a previous post from you concerning this.How does one check to see if your local DMA is MPEG 4 yet or not ?? Do you run a zip code check via some web site or what??? Once again I apologize for thread bumping but was curious as I read this local HD thread.

Just check on D*'s website for the local channels. If your's are available in hd, it will tell you. They are in mpeg4.

Yep, as above.... More specific, I use the DNS tool, it will tell if you get SD and/or HD LIL and if not, what you can get DNS all with one search. I aslo look at the RSN too to see what can be received HD in a given area.

DirecTV DNS Tool

DirecTV RSN Tool

DirecTV Locals Tool

Two Examples:

Eligibilty review for the following:
GILBERT, AZ 85234
Standard Distant Network Service
Not available because DIRECTV offers local network programming in your area

Digital (HD) Distant Network Service

AND

Eligibilty review for the following:
POPLAR BLUFF, MO 63901
Standard Distant Network Service

Digital (HD) Distant Network Service
Network Affiliate Status
ABC WSIL-DT Grade A (strong signal)
KAIT-DT Grade B (moderate signal)
CBS KFVS-DT Grade B (moderate signal)
FOX Eligible
NBC Eligible

when can i expect dishnetwork to launch hd locals in greensboro n.c. market and what satellite would it probably be on.

johnny58259 said:
when can i expect dishnetwork to launch hd locals in greensboro n.c. market and what satellite would it probably be on.

Not sure, likely better asked in the Dish Network area for faster / better answers.

If am am reading what you are saying correctly; DirecTV and Dish are not able to decide to provide customers either national or LIL affiliates, by law they can only provide one or the other. They can decide what LIL market they want to add and when, but they can't just give away national networks as opposed to LIL. They did however, based on customer polls & surveys, decided to use their remaining pre-launch bandwidth to push LIL over the few national HD channels available, because that is what the vast majority of subs & likely new subs demanded.

DirecTV and Dish never had a choice on this issue. They are not allowed to provide national channels to anyone that is in the OTA coverage area of a local station, without that station's agreement. It wasn't a question of polls or customer surveys, the satellite providers were not allowed to do it. So basically unless you live a long way from local OTA broadcast stations, or the station is willing to give you a waiver (usually they won't), you won't get national networks via satellite.
The satellite providers HAD to go for LIL, or not provide the networks at all. I am sure they would rather have used the bandwidth for something else.

I think you misinterpreted my comments. I said exactly what you reiterated.

1. DBS can't decide (by law) who they do or do not allow to have DNS; they do not determine that.

2. They can decide what LIL markets they want to rebroadcast on their system and when.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)