HD on second TV?

Best Way for Dish Customers to Watch HDTV on Two TVs?

• HDMI Extender

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Antenna + SMART set-top box

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Hack the Sling adapter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Enhanced Dish receiver

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Pay up for a second Dish receiver

Votes: 21 80.8%

• Total voters

cheapsk8

Original poster
Jan 6, 2014
United States
I'm trying to send an HD signal to 2 HDTVs connected to my VIP722k Dish receiver. Is this possible?

Options I've considered include:
  1. Running an HDMI extender between the 2 TVs. This wouldn't allow me to independently watch HD content on both sets. All HD content would go through the TV1 tuner and mirror across the 2 TVs.
  2. Using a combination of local channels from OTA signal (Gray Hoverman antennas are the bomb) and premium content through my WD TV Live and/or the SMART TV interface.
  3. Using my Sling adapter and somehow accessing the HD signal through my SMART TV. Have any hackers out there figure this out yet?!
  4. Doesn't Dish have a 2-tuner receiver capable of sending 2 HD signals independently?! Apparently not, according to the Tech Support Rep I spoke with.
  5. Paying Dish an extra $7-10 a month for a second receiver. It's $3 more for a second DVR, which I don't need . . .
What is the best option? Any other ideas?

In addition to researching the Gray Hoverman DIY antennas, I recently bought a SiliconDust HomeRun adapter to test out the DVR functionality. It just might be time to test this setup out on my second TV . . .

Thanks!

722 can only output HD from one tuner, so any combination is going watch the same thing in HD. I use a Slingbox and some wdtv live and live hubs to send HD from 722 to other tvs in house in HD. I also have a 211 for independent HD on other TV.

If you want one dvr that can send HD independently to more than one TV then you need to upgrade to a Hopper and Joey setup

How is that different than my option #5. Either way I'm increasing my monthly payment to Dish. The way I see it, that's a loss! I'd rather own it than rent it . . .

I share a 211 between 2 TVs. One uses component, the other uses HDMI. It is a very specialized situation since I do not have to worry about the 2 TVs needing a different channel. The HDMI runs over 2 cat6 cables using HDMI over CAT6 boxes (75' run). I also have an IR over CAT6 to make the remote work.

Do you want satellite HD on 2 separate tvs or just locals in HD on the other tv? If you want separate viewing of satellite HD channels you have no choice either get a second 211, 612 or 722 or get a Hopper Joey setup.

You don't have to lease the Hopper/Joey or the other receivers. You can buy them out right from dish depot or many other retailers. Doesn't matter you will still have a mirroring or extra receiver fee.

If all you want is locals in HD on 2nd tv then put up an antenna.

There is no way that isn't going to cost extra to get independent satellite HD viewing to a 2nd tv.

Edit: possibly if you have a android tablet with hdmi output capabilities then you could use sling adapter to access tv2 to a 2nd tv across your internal network. I used my Toshiba thrive this way for a while but mainly when traveling. I dont know maybe an ipad and appletv using airplay too with the sling app.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts