HD Only on MPEG4?

I would be very surprised if the SD packs were gone as early as 2009. I was thinking more along the lines of 2014 or 2015.

Even if all of the channels go HD, Dish could still sell a receiver that only output SD and could still offer a low-cost SD pack to appeal to the millions of people wthout HDTVs.

Dan Berndt said:
Dish has three SD receivers (625, 322 & 311) and only two HD receivers (VIP211 & VIP622). To my knowledge none of these receivers have digital only OTA receivers like the old VOOM receiver had.
All of the Dish HD receivers have an OTA tuner (optional on the 6000). The ones in the 211 and 622 are ATSC only.

Dan Berndt said:
Here is an excerpt from an email I sent to Dish on the HD Only package issue. I doubt anything will come of it but at least I got to vent. I'll post their response if any:

Hello,

I switched over to Dish when VOOM discontinued DBS service a little over a year ago. The two most important reasons I chose Dish was that Dish carried some of the VOOM channels and because I read on the internet that Dish allowed a HD Only programming package as long as the customer owned their own HD receivers. At the beginning of the year I purchased two 942 receivers and about a couple of months ago I cancelled all my programming with Dish accept the HD and VOOM channels.

I recently was considering replacing my 942 receivers with VIP622 receivers so I could pickup the new MPEG4 HD channels. But when I called Dish to talk about the switch, the csr I talked to said that Dish no longer allowed customers to subscribe to the HD Only package but had to buy a metal package that includes at least 60 standard definition channels that I never watched when I had them before. Knowledgable people on the internet said that Dish stopped allowing customers to subcribe to a HD Only package some time in June without any annoucement.

The thought of having to pay thirty extra dollars a month for 60 channels I never will watch has really put me off upgrading. I have decided to stay with the package I've got at least for the foreseeable future and put all the money I'm saving to other uses such as renting DVDs. I hope that Dish will see their way clear to allowing customers to subscribe to new HD channels in an HD Only programming package in the future so people like me won't be forced to pay for all that Standard Definition programming they don't want.

Thank you

Here is the Dish response. It looks pretty canned and has a take-it-or-leave-it air to it:

Thank you for your email. We understand how frustrating it has been for you. Please be advised that DISH Network is looking for ways to improve and/or upgrade our current systems and programming. Please be advised that effective February 1, 2006, DISH Network have launched the new High Definition TV programming packages as follows:

- We have a total of 25 (not including locals) HD channels available including:
- A total of 15 VOOM HD channels with over 110 hours of original programming each day!
- A total of 10 additional HD channels.
- New! HD local channels will launch in approximately 50 markets in 2006.
- What customers will need to get the “most HD content available anywhere”:
- A high definition TV
- A DISH Network satellite antenna and signal from the appropriate orbital location(s)
- A DISH Network MPEG-4 HD receiver.

Listed below are the new packages that you can get if you will take advantage of the promotion:

Programming Package (With Local Channels)

DishHD Bronze $54.99 (includes HD programming plus over 60 standard channels including ESPN HD, ESPN 2 HD Discovery and CNN)

DishHD Silver $64.99 (includes HD programming plus over 120 standard channels including Regional Sports Network(s), SIRIUS Music and AMC)

DishHD Gold $74.99 (includes HD programming plus over 180 standard channels including Encore Multiplex, Bravo and ESPNU)

DishHD Platinum $104.99 (includes DishHD Gold package plus all four premium movie packages and NBA TV)

The HD Package that you are currently receiving is not available anymore and the customers who are subscribing to the old HD package before the new programs were launched are the only customers who are eligible to receive. Once it will be cancelled, you will need to upgrade your receiver to an MPEG 4 HD receiver to get all HD channels. You may also have an option to cancel the HD channels and you may maintain any of the basic packages but the $6.00 per month HD Enabling Fee will be charged if you have a high definition receiver and do not subscribe to one of our HD programming packages.

We try to make every attempt to advise our customers of fees by providing a Residential Customer Agreement with your system. This can be found in the back of your user's manual. We also provide an answer channel (101) to view all policies and fees at your convenience.

You may also visit the following link (http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/aboutus/RCA/index.shtml) to view or print out a copy of the Residential Customer Agreement.

The decisions made are based on company policy. If we find that a policy is negatively impacting the majority of our customer’s satisfaction, that policy is scrutinized for effectiveness. Again, we apologize for any confusion or inconvenience caused by this issue.

We appreciate your input and will pass on your suggestions to the appropriate parties. Please continue to monitor our website for any further developments on upcoming changes and new features.

As a current customer, you may always use our website to view your current or previous billing statements, add services, or make payments to your account. Please use the link https://customersupport.dishnetwork.com/customercare/UserManagement/login.jsp to visit our Online Customer Support Center.

Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to www.dishnetwork.com or reply to this email.

Sincerely,
Editha S.
DISH Network eCare

Yep, the ViP622 only picks up ATSC (digital) stations, no NTSC (analog stations). Almost the entire country can pick up at least a couple digital stations.

Keep in mind, digital stations broadcast both SD & HD.

We will likely never see all TV move to HD.

Dan Berndt said:
....Please be advised that effective February 1, 2006, DISH Network have launched the new High Definition TV programming packages as follows...
...The HD Package that you are currently receiving is not available anymore and the customers who are subscribing to the old HD package before the new programs were launched are the only customers who are eligible to receive. Once it will be cancelled, you will need to upgrade your receiver to an MPEG 4 HD receiver to get all HD channels.....

LIARS. The Stand Alone Pak with the new HD channels was still available after Feb 1st if you shelled out for the mpeg4 hardware and paid the $16/mo increase. It was NEVER disclosed that the package would be frozen come June.

About a week ago I emailed them about how the Bronze pack (and above) continues to get new HD channels, while the Stand Alone is locked down. I got no response whatsoever.

Hammer

navychop said:
Yep, the ViP622 only picks up ATSC (digital) stations, no NTSC (analog stations). Almost the entire country can pick up at least a couple digital stations.

Keep in mind, digital stations broadcast both SD & HD.

We will likely never see all TV move to HD.
Some day. May be awhile. Just like the conversion from black and white to Color.

Too many old shows in 4:3- reruns.

Still a business case to multicast up to 6 (even 8, I hear) SD channels to niche markets.

And HAMMERDOWN: They are moving to MPEG-4. They need to build in an incentive for you to upgrade your equipment. They are still giving you exactly what you subscribed to, they're just not giving you any more. They want as many people as possible to move on their own to the new equipment. You'd hardly want to move up to more expensive equipment or packages if you could get everything you wanted at the old prices and using your current equipment.

I'm fine with that. In fact, they offered the new stand alone pack for $36/mo back in Feb, along with the Bronze for $49, etc... And I fell for it. I got the new hardware and paid the increase specifically so I could get any new HD channels they intended to add. Surprise that was a lie. Starting with HG & NFL, the stand alone pack gets no more new channels. No grandfathering, no "thanks for being an HD customer for 7yrs".

Hammer