HD picture disintegrates

Status
Please reply by conversation.

guapoharry

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
32ºN 111ºW
Sometimes on a HD picture, it will get screwy. Often, this will happen when there is fast motion or the camera pans quickly. For example, edges of lines on a ballfield look strange while the camera follows a running player.

Is there a name for this?

Is there some fix to correct this?

I see this on my PC and on the Azbox.

See examples.

Attachments

• hd-picture.jpg
    hd-picture.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 118
  • hd-picture-a.jpg
    hd-picture-a.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 103
It looks like that because the video is interlaced, to fix it you need to deinterlace the video.

I am not sure what you can do with the Azbox about it, but on the computer you can look for a deinterlace option.
If you play the video on the PC with VLC you can right click on the video and select deinterlace and it gives you many different deinterlace options.
(New versions of VLC have the deinterlace option under video and then deinterlace)

It looks like that because the video is interlaced, to fix it you need to deinterlace the video.

I am not sure what you can do with the Azbox about it, but on the computer you can look for a deinterlace option.
If you play the video on the PC with VLC you can right click on the video and select deinterlace and it gives you many different deinterlace options.
(New versions of VLC have the deinterlace option under video and then deinterlace)
There is a de-interlace option on the AZBox. I'm not near my AZbox right now, but recalling from memory.......while on the channel, press the OK Button> menu button> a box pops up, scroll down and you will see an option to de-interlace. Choose, De-interlace, then ok. You may have to reboot the box for this to take effect. I hope this helps.

BTW......... what is this VLC, that I keep reading about?:confused:

Last edited:
Sometimes on a HD picture, it will get screwy. Often, this will happen when there is fast motion or the camera pans quickly. For example, edges of lines on a ballfield look strange while the camera follows a running player.

Is there a name for this?

Is there some fix to correct this?

I see this on my PC and on the Azbox.

See examples.

I agree with the replies about the interlaced signal. This is why I like 720P HD, which is not interlaced, much better than 1080i, which IS interlaced.
But while you can de-interlace an image and clear it up to remove the blurryness caused by the interlacing, if you de-interlace the actual video, you'll be reducing the resolution of your video considerably, basically turning 1920x1080 video int 1920x540 . This may well look better for fast moving content like sports, but it seems a shame to reduce your resolution.
If the blurryness is completely caused by the interlacing, it usually isn't that noticeable in most cases, and I really think you're better off not trying to de-interlace it. However, you get similar affects that are caused by the uplinkers compressing the video to save bandwidth. Very often the compression effects look a lot like the effects of interlacing, ie on still subjects, you get crystal clear video, but things blur with motion. But to me, it seems like the bluryness caused by compression effects are much more noticeable. De-interlacing isn't going to help much with compression effects. I'm not that good at distinguishing between interlace effects and compression effects, but from images, it seems to me that interlacing effects look more like two separate overlapping images rather than a blurred image. I do agree though that the images above do look like interlacing not compression, but I'm surprised that you'd see them on content as slow moving as someone sitting in a chair, so I'm wondering if somehow it might be somehow also related to bitrate or something.
I recorded high quality HD feeds from 2 football games to my computer, one was from a 720p feed, and the other from a 1080i feed. WHen I went back and extracted screen shots from the video, virtually all the 720p images were quite good, but virtually all the screen shots from the 1080i game were blurred by the interlacing, however when actually watching the games, I didn't really notice the effects when watching the live video. Seems like to some extent, your eyes & brain are able to do the de-interlacing for you, plus some TVs seem better than others at reducing the motion effects. But when I watch a highly compressed low bitrate HD feed, however the motion effects are VERY obvious, even on relatively slow moving objects, and nothing helps.
Anyway, just saying that I don't think de-interlacing the video is a good option, and wanted to point out that a lot of the motion effects are caused by compression or low bitrates.

Status
Please reply by conversation.