HD Poll (initial research)

FaxMan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 26, 2003
As discussed in various places in this forum, clearly, we want more HDTV.

Some folks want more sports, some folks want more movies, some folks want stuff that doesn't even exist yet.

I the spirit of this forum, I'd like to create a poll that might provide information to E* regarding at least the prevailing desires of this unscientifically selected group in regards to additional HD programming.

E* has gone from 'We're the leader in HD' to 'There is no compelling content' to 'There's no transponder space'.

I know there are TONS of different arguments over what is true HD, what is not, but I think at least those of us with HD equipment will agree that even a stretched HD upcovert is better than SD.

What I'm going to try to accomplish by this thread is to create a list of HD channels that currently exist or have been announced (like ESPN2 and a couple of others) for launch in the next few months.

With your help, I'll try to come up with a definitive list by editing this lead post to include the potential channels.

Perhaps some transponder space will become available to add one or two channels if there happens to be a clear consensus as to what might be compelling.

The List for later inclusion in a poll (will be edited as more information obtained)

ESPN2
INHD
INHD2
Starz-HD
Universal-HD
CineMax-HD
TheMovieChannel-HD
encore-HD

Networks - Yes I know a lot of you get these OTA but many of us can't.

ABC-HD
NBC-HD
FOX-HD
WB-HD
UPN-HD

NightRyder

NightRyder,

Although I agree with you 1000% and I can only get NBC and a little CBS OTA, with the legal restrictions and the noose that the broadcasters have, I was hoping not to include the networks since with the exception of O&O markets, it can't be done even if Charlie wanted to.

That aside, there is still hope for the digital white area and E*s promise that they'd have National feeds the moment they were allowed to.

If it seems that a lot of folks want me to add them, I will, but it's a pretty big caveat.

I would love the networks as well. After the President signed the SHERVA bill I thought they would have been available within a week. If Starz was in HD I would sign up for the package, Universal, Encore and TMC yes. I don't care about Cinamax.

Bill G

Now this list of HD channels may be incomplete or inaccurate, but this is what I have found so far. Some of these channels are specualtive, but most do plan to do HD at at some point, and if not a channel of their own, then on another channel like inHD. Here's the list:

NFL Network
USA Network
E!
Wealth TV
Turner South
National Geographic HD
ESPN2 HD
HDNet Sports
HDNet Entertainment
Hallmark HD
A&E
The Tennis Channel
29HDNetwork
The Outdoor Channel
Turner HD
Gol TV
CNN-HD
Turner Classic Movies HD
THE Weather Channel HD
Lifestyle HD Channel (HGTV, Fine Living, DIY, Food Network, Network Channels )

These are all I have come across so far, but please remember some of these channels may never go HD, and some of them may comtinue to simulcast special programming on channels like inHD. Hope it helps

Hmmm... This may be more complicated that I first thought.

Using the theory that Charlie was sitting there with an open transponder and giving us the choice, I figure we'd have to narrow down to channels that are either broadcasting now or will be within the next couple of months. I don't know if even the channels I originally listed are currently available. I got the list from TitanTV. http://www.titantv.com/TTV/Home/HDTVUpdate.aspx

Feedback from folks that know and/or have seen the channels will be helpful. Keem um coming.

Although I too want the networks above all of the others, I don't think they are options for this exercise.

hpman...I've heard of all those networks, except for one. What is 29HDnetwork supposed to be?

Speaking of rumors, wasn't there a rumor floating around that Speed Channel HD was in the works? That'd get my vote in a heartbeat! :yes

Did I hear/read somewhere that there is or is going to be a Bravo-HD?

I think we're entitled to network HD feeds anywhere we can't get an OTA signal, I want TCM in HD so I can quit zooming it, and E* should make available any network (channel?) that has a HD feed available, like Bravo, etc. I'm thinking about switching to VOOM now that I don't have to buy the equipment.

FaxMan said:
Did I hear/read somewhere that there is or is going to be a Bravo-HD?

There was a Bravo-HD...it was what became Universal HD when it re-launched in early December.

hpman247 said:
the 29 hd channel is aimed at 29 year old with hd sets--thats all i know about it.

Hmmm...guess we'll see how on-target they are, since I turn 29 in the spring! :D

A response to the O&O Networks

I understand about the restrictions E* is under...

But if D* can offer O&O CBS-HD, FOX-HD, and NBC-HD, then why can't E*...

I beleive the most compelling HD content is still the network shows. I'd love to catch 24, House, ER in HD...

I have a unique situation in that I'm considered NYC market area, but live on the western side of some hills which makes OTA very difficult (I need something like a 12 or 16 ft antenna mounted on my roof line (which due to the neighborhood I'm in, would go over like a f*rt in church)...

I must say I'm regretting my decision to go with E*. When I installed my HD setup, I signed onto E* because they just announced Discovery and CBS-HD deal. Besides TNT and ESPN, they haven't added new HD programming in close to three years.

I agree 100% I am 60 miles from the towers and live in a valley that will not permit reception of O&O in Boston.

We have supported E* with the iwantmyhdtv.com now is time to follow thru Dish Network!

Thanks,
Greg

I just checked with our cable company, Mediacom, they are offering about the same as Dish in HD, except they are offering StarzHD and not HBOHD. The price is actually a little cheaper with their Everything pack and HD pack vs Dish's everything pack and HD pack. As I have money invested in recievers, I will stay with Dish, but if the HD content expands alot with cable and Dish remains stagnet, I will jump ship in a heartbeat.

StarzHD, where's it at dish ?

I think the carriage O&O networks in HD is a great issue, but perhaps one for a different thread and/or lobbying and/or fact-finding activity. I'm not trying to minimize it.

Starz-HD is on the list.

Let's try to focus on getting this list in the first thread as comprehensive and accurate as possible and see what the survey shows.

I wan't Fox HD before the Daytona 500, but seems like Starz would be the #1 pick. I would also like the Hallmark channel.

FaxMan said:
I think the carriage O&O networks in HD is a great issue, but perhaps one for a different thread and/or lobbying and/or fact-finding activity. I'm not trying to minimize it.

Starz-HD is on the list.

Let's try to focus on getting this list in the first thread as comprehensive and accurate as possible and see what the survey shows.

I'm not sure if this belongs in a different thread...

All that I am asking for is a duplication of the offerings that D* has for the three networks (notice how I didn't ask for ABC). Who wouldn't want CBS, FOX, and NBC in HD provided by their satellite provider? No antennas or rotors which you need for OTA...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)