HD Poll (initial research)

In this order for me....

Broadcast Networks, Universal HD, INHD1 + 2, ESPN 2, Cinemax HD, Starz HD, PBS HD.

Hopefully they buy out V* by the end of the year to make it happen..........

A couple of times in this thread PBS HD is listed separately from the [broadcast] networks. It really should be grouped in with them. Equal opportunity and everything. :)

Or is there some technicality I'm missing that declares that PBS or specifically the PBS-HD feed isn't part of the broadcast networks? Sorry if that sounded kinda sarcastic, it's not intended that way.

I cast my vote for Universal HD, ESPN2 HD, and StarzHD.

I don't subscribe to a premium channel package, but would add Starz if it included HD at the current price.

I'm not too interested in the pay channels (I use Netflix for my movies). I would like these added:

Universal-HD
INHD

TuxCoder said:
A couple of times in this thread PBS HD is listed separately from the [broadcast] networks. It really should be grouped in with them. Equal opportunity and everything. :)

Or is there some technicality I'm missing that declares that PBS or specifically the PBS-HD feed isn't part of the broadcast networks? Sorry if that sounded kinda sarcastic, it's not intended that way.
Can someone explain why? For some reason PBS is only available to most or is it all people on the local package (no HD). Years ago I had the national feed but then Dish shut me off, said I did not qualify.

The eligibility rules for PBS are different than for the commercial networks. Basically, you can get national PBS unless the DBS carrier offers your local PBS.

For the poll,
  1. E&W networks
  2. Universal HD
  3. SD Widescreen versions of Sci-Fi, WB, Bravo etc if we really can't have HD yet (or at least fix the 921's overstretch)
  4. HD Premium Pack (HBO, Showtime, STARZ!, Cinemax) w/o the full SD suites, and priced accordingly
  5. PBS for some of the best-looking HD I've seen

".... D* now has ABC-HD up and running, just in time for the BCS bowl games....

Added to the fact that D* also is carrying FOX-HD, NBC-HD, and CBS-HD the time has come...

With well over $20,000 of equipment in my HT, switching to D* is peanuts...

Goodbye E*, goodbye DISH forum"

I'm leaving too for the same reason. I'm in the NY metro DMA 75 miles north and get no OTA whatsoever and DirecTv has confirmed that I'm eligible for all the networks in HD. I'm obviously not happy over the thought of spending another $1000 for an HD receiver considering I just spent that a year ago for my 921. But what's the point of an investment in a nice HT if you don't have the programming for it? I've been with DISH for years and have been happy with their service and hardware, which has consisted of 2 5000's, 6000, 510 and 921 but I just don't see any other reasonable course of action considering silence on the subject from DISH other than nothing new until this time 2006.

For purposes of the poll, I put HD networks for the O&O markets at the top of the list since its legal according to the new law and being offered RIGHT NOW by DirecTv.

Susan

Loquitur said:
... I'm leaving too for the same reason....

I can't say that I blame you. If I were in the same situation I would also.

Loquitur said:
...according to the new law and being offered RIGHT NOW by DirecTv.

Only in O&O markets. Unfortunately, that leaves a pretty large percentage of us out.

"Only in O&O markets. Unfortunately, that leaves a pretty large percentage of us out".

Agreed - its really awful that so many people are excluded under the new law. At first I thought it was generous to the consumers because new digital white areas would be established so that everyone could get network HD if it wasn't available from the local station even if the problem was that the HD signal was being broadcasted full strenth. To find out now that people are prohibited from this provision if their satellite provider offers their locals in SD, no matter how poor or even non existent the HD, is a real disappointment considering the large market penetration Dish and DirecTv have achieved over the past few years for locals.

Dish is going to lose a lot of customers in the outlying areas of the O&O markets for not competing with DirecTv on the networks in HD. There are many more of us than you think considering that the biggest cities have highly populated, extended suburbs. And we're the type of customer he ought to try to keep considering that we buy the premium packages and the most expensive hardware.

I'm sorry I'm going to lose my west coast feeds by changing to DirecTv but I'd rather have the better network coverage in HD.

Susan

Agree! Compelling content is with the networks. The superbowl on Fox-Hd is the biggest reason why I bought HD. I guess Charlie still doesn't get it. :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)