HD PQ - facial artifacts (microblocking) on Major Network Primetime Shows

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pakbackr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I am currently a Dish customer, and posted this on that forum. Wanted to post here to see if any Directv folks experience the same thing. Thinking of making the switch to D* in the future, so your input will be appreciated.

I recently upgraded to a 58 Samsung plasma, 1080p...one very nice TV. I have, however, noticed a huge variation in HD PQ from channel to channel with this set, seeing facial artifacts (or microblocking) that I never saw with the old Panasonic 720 dlp. This problem seems to be most prominent on the major network (ABC, CBS, NBC) primetime shows like Big Bang Theory, Two and a Half Men, 30 Rock, Modern Family, etc. I see similar PQ via the OTA channels, and both live and DVR'd shows. Its not unwatchable, but definitely not the crispness you would expect (and actually get on most programming). Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? And any thoughts as to what is causing this?

If you see it OTA, it will be no better on Directv, than Dish. In my experience, as I went up from 42" to 50" to 55" to 58", HD programming from locals continued to look worse and worse (all OTA). Mainy this is because locals still use mpeg2 compression, and many times have subchannels which kill PQ. My local CBS has 2 subchannels and it looks like ****. Sorry to say it, but it's just a negative of a larger screen, and crap in = crap out. I find it amusing how FXHD or SpikeHD can look better than a local OTA HD channel.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)