HD receiver/non-HD dish (newbie)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

brankl

Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
I was given a HD receiver (Panasonic TU-HDS20) and dish by a friend. I am eventually going to swap my dish (2LNB) out and put the HD capable one up. In the meantime, I tried to replace my one receiver with the Panasonic in order to take advantage of the component video outputs (my old receiver only has SVideo). I installed it, pulled the programming card rom my old receiver and put it in the new one but get no signal. Is it because I have not replaced the dish also? I know that to get HD reception I need to contact D* and subscribe but can't I use the new equipment until then? What all is involved in swapping this equipment out?

brankl said:
I was given a HD receiver (Panasonic TU-HDS20) and dish by a friend. I am eventually going to swap my dish (2LNB) out and put the HS capable one up. In the meantime, I tried to replace my one receiver with the Panasonic in order to take advantage of the component video outputs (my old receiver only has SVideo). I installed it, pulled the programming card rom my old receiver and put it in the new one but get no signal. Is it because I have not replaced the dish also? I know that to get HD reception I need to contact D* and subscribe but can't I use the new equipment until then? What all is involved in swapping this equipment out?

The card will only work with the reciever that D* authoized it for.

You can't just pull the card out from a receiver and put it into another one. You have to get a "virgin" card -- call Directv to get one (for $20, I believe).

ok brankl,first of all I would like to welcome you to satelliteguys and hope you enjoy this forum.Now here is what you need to do.First you will need a 18x20 dish that is capable of receiving the 101,110,and 119 satellites(a,b,c) triple lnb.Second you can call Directv and have them unmarry your card from your old receiver and marry it to your new receiver.This will work fine, Do not let them give you a hard time and tell them that you will not pay for another card,then they will allow you to use your old access card.Now as to weather you will be able to receive HD with the dish you now have, You should be able able to receive some channels but only the ones that are on the 101(a)satellite.The channels that are on 101 sat in HD are ch 80 CBSE,ch81 CBSW,ch83 NBCE,ch84NBCW and ch88FOXE(BASEBALL ONLY NOW).These channels are subject to change satellites at any time and you will only get these if you qualify for distant network channels.Well once again welcome to satelliteguys and I hope this has helped. I have posted a link below to see if you qualify for any of the DISTANT NETWORK CHANNELS.........DIGITAL~DAN

http://directvdnseligibility.decisionmark.com/app/AddressEntry.asp

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)